Report: Don't be surprised if Cowboys bring Pollard back

jujoboys

Reaction score
I have no problem with them bringing him back at a reasonable price as long as the get another RB to compliment him. Pollard is a good back. Here are the problems with Pollard from 2023:

1) Dallas tried to make him a feature RB. He is not. He was a complimentary back in college and was successful as a complimentary back in the NFL. Get someone better than Dowdle to split carries with him.
2) I don't think Pollard was completely over the injury, especially to begin the season.
3) Our OLine struggled with run blocking which begins with the C (Biadasz) that gets pushed around.

Big_D

Reaction score
I have no problem with them bringing him back at a reasonable price as long as the get another RB to compliment him. Pollard is a good back. Here are the problems with Pollard from 2023:

1) Dallas tried to make him a feature RB. He is not. He was a complimentary back in college and was successful as a complimentary back in the NFL. Get someone better than Dowdle to split carries with him.
2) I don't think Pollard was completely over the injury, especially to begin the season.
3) Our OLine struggled with run blocking which begins with the C (Biadasz) that gets pushed around.
This is a prime example of the Cowboys overvaluing their own players. If he’s back, he’ll be paid as the RB1 and be the featured back. That is exactly how they operate. Any talk of just a complimentary role is wishful thinking when you know they think he’s more than that.

Carson

Reaction score
This is a prime example of the Cowboys overvaluing their own players. If he’s back, he’ll be paid as the RB1 and be the featured back. That is exactly how they operate. Any talk of just a complimentary role is wishful thinking when you know they think he’s more than that.
I don’t think so. I think something like 2 years, $10 million. $2-3 hit this year, $7-8 next year. Won’t break the bank and we can draft Benson/Allen/Wright

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Fans are dumb.

All you hear are complaints about our crappy o-line (which it was) but apparently it’s the guy just coming fresh off a late season injury where his leg was facing backwards fault.

I wouldn’t mind Pollard back at a reasonable price and supplementing him with another talented back in the draft.
voice of reason.......

Big_D

Reaction score
I don’t think so. I think something like 2 years, $10 million. $2-3 hit this year, $7-8 next year. Won’t break the bank and we can draft Benson/Allen/Wright
They have many needs and you just know in their minds that a Pollard signing doesn’t guarantee a RB in the draft. We all want that and fully expect it, but again that’s not how they operate. He’s a top tier FA RB who will have a large role. That is the situation.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Tough to say what Pollard's market will be right now. Lots of stud RBs in free agency but the draft is very light with RB. The best RB (Brooks) in the draft is coming off an injury. I wouldn't pay him RB1 money and I am not sure any other team will either. Hopefully those clowns in the front office don't start bidding against themselves on Pollard.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Lol there's already people in this thread defending this move if it happens. Jerry could sign Emmitt Smith right now and y'all would defend it

Carson

Reaction score
They have many needs and you just know in their minds that a Pollard signing doesn’t guarantee a RB in the draft. We all want that and fully expect it, but again that’s not how they operate. He’s a top tier FA RB who will have a large role. That is the situation.
Running backs are tricky and the market is pretty deep.

Henry, SaQuan, Jacobs, should get decent deals

I see Tony a notch below that in the Ekeler, Swift, Singletary range

DCwarrior

Reaction score
For a good price I wouldn’t mind it as long as they use him like he is supposed to be used and not as a RB1.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Front office nobody in a player personnel meeting: ”maybe we should consider Josh Jacobs.”

Stephen Jones: ”who is that?”

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I think Pollards next contract where ever he goes is going to be very similar to Wilson and Mosterts from Miami - right around $3 million a year.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

One thing NBC Sports’ @MatthewBerryTMR learned coming out of the NFL Combine pertains to #Cowboys RB Tony Pollard:

“I’m told a likely landing spot for Tony Pollard is… Dallas? Yeah, apparently the Cowboys want to bring him back despite all of us thinking he had a down year. He wasn’t fully healthy for a lot of the year, but they like him a lot there and I was told: “Don’t be surprised if they bring Pollard back.”

The front office gave the reins to Pollard last season, believing in him as a No. 1 back. Now a full year removed from the injury and his positive stretch to end the year, they might re-sign him so Pollard and the front office can prove doubters wrong.

This wouldn't be a big surprise to me and the only reason is because of the likely cost of RBs and fact Tony Pollard is most likely to get a smaller contract on a short term deal.

Do you hate a deal that gives an experienced player 5-7 million a year over 1 or 2 years that's familiar with the offense and was productive at times? I wouldn't dislike the move as it creates some stability, but if you're not going to do anything else to return Tony to a part time role I think it would be a big mistake. If you bring Tony back add a back somewhere between rounds 2-3 and let the best back earn more carries.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
That's fine as long as he understands that he didn't play up to the franchise tag, and is going to need to take a massive pay cut. They better not bring him back expecting him to be the #1 RB again. Last year was unacceptable. Another year of the same would be unforgiveable.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This from SI...... averages about $6.8M. I wouldn't mind this and Brooks ( 3rd or 4th )

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/05/top-50-free-agents-available-offseason

34. Tony Pollard, RB, Cowboys​

Projection: Three years, $20 million
Pollard got the franchise tag last year, making it very likely he’s going to free agency this time around. After breaking his fibula in the 2022 playoffs, the 26-year-old bounced back with 1,005 rushing yards and six scores for Dallas in ’23. Considering the running back market in recent years, combined with the glut of big-name veterans available, expect an affordable contract.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

One thing NBC Sports’ @MatthewBerryTMR learned coming out of the NFL Combine pertains to #Cowboys RB Tony Pollard:

“I’m told a likely landing spot for Tony Pollard is… Dallas? Yeah, apparently the Cowboys want to bring him back despite all of us thinking he had a down year. He wasn’t fully healthy for a lot of the year, but they like him a lot there and I was told: “Don’t be surprised if they bring Pollard back.”

The front office gave the reins to Pollard last season, believing in him as a No. 1 back. Now a full year removed from the injury and his positive stretch to end the year, they might re-sign him so Pollard and the front office can prove doubters wrong.

We like our guys!!
Smh