Report: Don't be surprised if Cowboys bring Pollard back

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Jerry wants to run the whole thing back, if he can help it. Why is this even news? On-field results mean nothing to Jerry.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

One thing NBC Sports’ @MatthewBerryTMR learned coming out of the NFL Combine pertains to #Cowboys RB Tony Pollard:

“I’m told a likely landing spot for Tony Pollard is… Dallas? Yeah, apparently the Cowboys want to bring him back despite all of us thinking he had a down year. He wasn’t fully healthy for a lot of the year, but they like him a lot there and I was told: “Don’t be surprised if they bring Pollard back.”

The front office gave the reins to Pollard last season, believing in him as a No. 1 back. Now a full year removed from the injury and his positive stretch to end the year, they might re-sign him so Pollard and the front office can prove doubters wrong.

If I can’t be “surprised”, can I be disappointed?
:huh:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Funny how so many fans have soured on Pollard after screaming for him to be the starter the past few seasons. There was a Pollard vs McCafferty thread with some fans saying Pollard was better. :laugh: I posted during the 2022 season that he would fall out favor with fans if he became our lead back. He was terrific in the role he had behind Zeke. He was kept fresh but the added carries reduced him to just another back fans want replaced. It got so bad this past season some wanted Dowdle starting. lol

CWR

Reaction score
Not that I necessarily place the Lions share of blame on TP, but how will the running game get better if we keep the same oline, rbs and coaches???

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yep sounds ok if Pollard is RB2, but if he is making 4-5 million along with Dowdle and a 3rd round rookie….who is coach Jerry going to demand get most of the snaps?

The running game was a problem and they can’t wait to run it back because they think getting massacred at home in a playoff game is “close” to a championship and the arrow is still headed upward.

The only thing they excel at is misevaluation.

CWR

Reaction score
Funny how so many fans have soured on Pollard after screaming for him to be the starter the past few seasons. There was a Pollard vs McCafferty thread with some fans saying Pollard was better. :laugh: I posted during the 2022 season that he would fall out favor with fans if he became our lead back. He was terrific in the role he had behind Zeke. He was kept fresh but the added carries reduced him to just another back fans want replaced. It got so bad this past season some wanted Dowdle starting. lol
What was even better was a poster legitimately arguing with me in preseason that Deuce was at least as good as Pollard and that was his minimum.

Our fans are fickle, emotional teenage girls. They have the hardest time looking past the last 5 minutes.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What was even better was a poster legitimately arguing with me in preseason that Deuce was at least as good as Pollard and that was his minimum.

Our fans are fickle, emotional teenage girls. They have the hardest time looking past the last 5 minutes.
The Deuce predictions were hilarious. I argued with a fan that predicted he would lead the team and touches by the end of the season. One fan predicted that he would take over as our starter by midseason. :rolleyes: There’s a large number of fans that come here that don’t have a flipping clue about football.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The Deuce predictions were hilarious. I argued with a fan that predicted he would lead the team and touches by the end of the season. One fan predicted that he would take over as our starter by midseason. :rolleyes: There’s a large number of fans that come here that don’t have a flipping clue about football.
Truth

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Truth

DuncanIso

Reaction score
There just has to be a low round draft choice or perhaps a UFA or perhaps a free agent himself out there somewhere that has younger, fresher legs for the same money. Likely less money. Trouble is Jones and Son are not good at finding such talent. They are poor evaluators. And they are too busy being media personalities to put in the work.
Not easy to find the good ones.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I actually thought he looked more explosive in the last few games of the season and don't have an issue bringing him back if the price is right.

That said they still need to find someone that can run between the tackles in FA or the draft. Pollard is not an every-down back.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Sounds good a healthy TP is a really good RB for this team. Wonder will they simply pair another veteran FA with TP or draft a guy.

GMO415

Reaction score
He's not going to get paid $12 million. Even Jerry isn't that stupid.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well you see there? We CAN agree!
:)

_sturt_

Reaction score

One thing NBC Sports’ @MatthewBerryTMR learned coming out of the NFL Combine pertains to #Cowboys RB Tony Pollard:

“I’m told a likely landing spot for Tony Pollard is… Dallas? Yeah, apparently the Cowboys want to bring him back despite all of us thinking he had a down year. He wasn’t fully healthy for a lot of the year, but they like him a lot there and I was told: “Don’t be surprised if they bring Pollard back.”

The front office gave the reins to Pollard last season, believing in him as a No. 1 back. Now a full year removed from the injury and his positive stretch to end the year, they might re-sign him so Pollard and the front office can prove doubters wrong.

If the price is right, I'm all for it, me. While it's fun to look at the other RB FA options, any that would be satisfying in theory on the field also come with a higher age and, plausibly, a higher cost.

None of the bargain basement options turn my head. None.

And if the price isn't right, my attention turns to the trade market, fwiw.