Restaurants You Refuse to Eat At?

Juggernaut

Reaction score
For pizza, you gotta go to NYC (and surrounding areas) or New Haven, CT.
Pizza should have a thin, foldable crust, and the edges should be chewy, like bread sticks.
I couldn't agree more. I recently found a pizza shop near me that uses a recipe originally created in the 1960s in Brooklyn, New York. The owner is originally from New York and it's his family's recipe. His family has been in the pizza business there for decades. The crust is hand-tossed and thin. The pizza itself is 19-inches and the slices require folding to eat them. It's now my go to place for a pizza. ;)

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Chicago Deep dish. Sooooo good, even if each piece probably blocks an artery.

I can’t believe that more people don’t open up true deep dish places outside of the Midwest.

Highly addictive pizza!
I grew up in the northeast eating thin crust NY style pizza from local mom and pop pizzerias. I had always heard about how good Chicago style was but I really didn't know anything about it or what made it different. In my late 30's I found myself in Chicago with some time to kill so I asked around for the best place to get Chicago style pizza. When the pizza was brought out to me I thought they screwed up and gave me some sort of casserole type dish. My first and last time ordering Chicago style pizza.

On another note, I just watched a documentary on pizza in the USA. Apparently pizza was pretty much unknown across the country, relegated to the Italian areas of big cities. The founders of Pizza Hut changed all that and made pizza popular across the Midwest and eventually coast to coast. Two Irish guys who had no idea what they were doing are responsible for Pizza as we know it.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I grew up in the northeast eating thin crust NY style pizza from local mom and pop pizzerias. I had always heard about how good Chicago style was but I really didn't know anything about it or what made it different. In my late 30's I found myself in Chicago with some time to kill so I asked around for the best place to get Chicago style pizza. When the pizza was brought out to me I thought they screwed up and gave me some sort of casserole type dish. My first and last time ordering Chicago style pizza.

On another note, I just watched a documentary on pizza in the USA. Apparently pizza was pretty much unknown across the country, relegated to the Italian areas of big cities. The founders of Pizza Hut changed all that and made pizza popular across the Midwest and eventually coast to coast. Two Irish guys who had no idea what they were doing are responsible for Pizza as we know it.
Heathens. Every last one of you. Chicago deep dish is the best.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Heathens. Every last one of you. Chicago deep dish is the best.
Just backing you up here. I had Chicago deep dish at one of the famous places there and it was incredible. 1.5 pieces is kind of the max though. Had NY style at one of their famous places and was like, "it's pretty good". I never understood the floppy, thin style that I have to fold. I wish I could remember the names of both places, but it's been a number of years. In both cities, I was with a native who swore it was the best in the world. I recently tried "Detroit style" and I have to say it was pretty awesome. Deep dish, square pizza. The edges are kind of crispy making the crust really nice. The main point here is I think I like all pizza.

Big_D

Reaction score
Just backing you up here. I had Chicago deep dish at one of the famous places there and it was incredible. 1.5 pieces is kind of the max though. Had NY style at one of their famous places and was like, "it's pretty good". I never understood the floppy, thin style that I have to fold. I wish I could remember the names of both places, but it's been a number of years. In both cities, I was with a native who swore it was the best in the world. I recently tried "Detroit style" and I have to say it was pretty awesome. Deep dish, square pizza. The edges are kind of crispy making the crust really nice. The main point here is I think I like all pizza.

That's not the real deal in NY if it's floppy. Thin, yes, floppy hell no. Those slices are the worst. You should be able to hold up the slice with a crispy crust whether you fold it or not and not have it flop with the cheese and everything falling off. I agree... most pizza is good. You can throw sauce and cheese on just about anything. I don't mind deep dish but to me pizza is a hand held type of food, not a fork and knife casserole dish. Still tasty, just different.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
That's not the real deal in NY if it's floppy. Thin, yes, floppy hell no. Those slices are the worst. You should be able to hold up the slice with a crispy crust whether you fold it or not and not have it flop with the cheese and everything falling off. I agree... most pizza is good. You can throw sauce and cheese on just about anything. I don't mind deep dish but to me pizza is a hand held type of food, not a fork and knife casserole dish. Still tasty, just different.
Interesting. I do like a thin and crispy pizza sometimes, but my understanding was the floppy thing was NY style. Despite my love of all things pizza, I'm a bit pizza ignorant. Like most things in this world, I suppose.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
True dat. Never met a pizza I disagreed with, even the ones listed as restaurants to avoid. You can’t screw up cheese sauce and meat.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It should be a little floppy, as in, when eating a slice of a large pie, you fold it in half and the end dips down. You bring your mouth sideways to the slice on the first bite, rather than bring the slice to your mouth.

Now, for toppings: My favorite is sausage, pepperoni, and jalapeño.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Interesting. I do like a thin and crispy pizza sometimes, but my understanding was the floppy thing was NY style. Despite my love of all things pizza, I'm a bit pizza ignorant. Like most things in this world, I suppose.
Don't forget, the bigger the slice, the floppier it's gonna be. Maybe your amateur butt should stick to a small or medium pie!
:laugh:

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
It should be a little floppy, as in, when eating a slice of a large pie, you fold it in half and the end dips down. You bring your mouth sideways to the slice on the first bite, rather than bring the slice to your mouth.

Now, for toppings: My favorite is sausage, pepperoni, and jalapeño.
That's how I would describe what I had. It wasn't like a weak handshake. Sausage and pepperoni are tops for me. Can't say I've tried jalapeño, but I do like them. I've tried meatball a couple of times, and it was interesting. No interest in veggies and certainly not pineapple. That should be banned.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
True dat. Never met a pizza I disagreed with, even the ones listed as restaurants to avoid. You can’t screw up cheese sauce and meat.
Oh, yes you can.

If it's burnt.

If it's undercooked.

If the crust is too thick.

If they have cornmeal on the bottom of the crust. (Whoever came up with that idea should be stuffed in the oven.)

If they use cheap cheese that makes it super greasy

If they cut a round pizza into squares! I have a huge problem with this. Never even heard of it until I moved to CT.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Don't forget, the bigger the slice, the floppier it's gonna be. Maybe your amateur butt should stick to a small or medium pie!
:laugh:
Come to think of it, I believe it was a large with some extra flop. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in NY. My Daughter-In-Law just moved there so I'll be there in the next couple of months for a visit.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's how I would describe what I had. It wasn't like a weak handshake. Sausage and pepperoni are tops for me. Can't say I've tried jalapeño, but I do like them. I've tried meatball a couple of times, and it was interesting. No interest in veggies and certainly not pineapple. That should be banned.
I've actually had Hawaiian (ham and pineapple) a few times. I kinda like it, but pepperoni is the best topping there is. When you mix it with sausage and jalapeño, it....Man, my mouth is watering just thinking about it...and I just finished having Buffalo wings for dinner!

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I've actually had Hawaiian (ham and pineapple) a few times. I kinda like it, but pepperoni is the best topping there is. When you mix it with sausage and jalapeño, it....Man, my mouth is watering just thinking about it...and I just finished having Buffalo wings for dinner!
Is that ham or "Canadian Bacon"? I always got a good chuckle out of that. I mean...that's ham. I think it's good too. I just pull of the pineapple from my wife's leftovers. Definitely not a pizza snob here, other than Papa Johns and Little Ceasars sucks. I'll still eat it in a pinch though.