Twitter: Rex Ryan interviewed for Cowboys DC job

jwitten82

Reaction score
Agreed. Rex went to 2 AFC championship games with Mark Sanchez....who I guess most of us would label as just okay. I'm liking this move more every minute. And yes, I promise to be here if his hiring never works out.
True, but he also only has 2 winning seasons out of 8 as a head coach

Rayman70

Reaction score
Zimmer hasnt ever did anything. Rex got Mark freakin Sanchez to the AFC chip game at least. Let that sink in. Imagin a defense carrying Dak to a SB with Rex calling the D. Rex makes Micah and that defense play elite.

Rayman70

Reaction score
a Rex Ryan hire is a big swing for the fences. Even if Jerry is wrong, at least hes trying.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Apparently, you never saw any of his defenses, which were among the elite in the NFL consistently.
Yes back when he was coaching and not out of the game for years. We agree on a lot but to me he is a headache. To me this is an element you don't need but I may be wrong

Big_D

Reaction score
Anybody that can shutdown prime Peyton Manning & Tom Brady in the playoffs is good enough for me

This team needs to win like his Jets teams did in the playoffs. Shutdown defense and ask the QB to not screw it up
Gotta play well against the run and be able to get off the field on 3rd down.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It would be extremely strange to have a personality like Rex Ryan acting as DC under Mike all with Jerry still trying to be the man.

Also there’s a good chance Rex would do to Mike what Garrett did to Wade.

Not advocating for him, but I don’t hate the idea of Rex being here as much as I’m surprised they would even consider a guy like him.

I mean jeez if Jerry is willing to share the spotlight and credit why not take a huge run at Harbaugh?

Let’s give the benefit of the doubt for a moment….It’s not the worst thing to seek as many outsiders opinions as possible as to what they may be doing wrong. It probably isn’t going much further than it already has.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I like. My view is this, we havent done anything in 28 years, what do we have to lose? MM is a lame duck anyway, lets take a gamble and hire Rex, even if its just 1 year. We have nothin to lose. Playing it safe is a bad move if we hire Rivera or Zimmer.
I doubt whoever Jerry hires gets a one year deal. That means one of two things, if he replaces McCarthy before 2025 the DC will be forced upon the new HC or the DC will become the new HC.

I think there is a reason most of these DC prospects are retreads with HC experience. First is to drum up some excitement for this lame duck season, but likely to also have the next HC already on staff.

This is going to be a disaster.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I doubt whoever Jerry hires gets a one year deal. That means one of two things, if he replaces McCarthy before 2025 the DC will be forced upon the new HC or the DC will become the new HC.

I think there is a reason most of these DC prospects are retreads with HC experience. First is to drum up some excitement for this lame duck season, but likely to also have the next HC already on staff.

This is going to be a disaster.
Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy gets his pink slip now. If he wants Rex he may need to let him go.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Rex would get fannies in the seats and sell major hope for the 2024 season. The hire would make sense.

JustChip

Reaction score
"Rex Ryan's defensive scheme is one of the more complicated schemes in the NFL”
Wasn’t that an issue with his brother Rob when he was DC here? You have to have smart players that communicate well to run a complicated scheme. The question is whether the players on the team currently fit that bill. Mo Claiborne and Mike Jenkins didn’t appear to.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy gets his pink slip now. If he wants Rex he may need to let him go.
McCarthy should be canned now but Jerry doesn’t want to eat the final year of his contract. Yeah it’s dumb, but its Jerry.