Twitter: Rex Ryan interviewed for Cowboys DC job

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score
Isaiah Stanback Former Dallas Cowboys, New England Patriots..
Stanback who played for New England Patriots in Team Meetings says in Preparation for Rex Ryan Jets Defense
was the most difficult to prepare for..

Carson

Reaction score
Rex Ryan’s defensive scheme is one of the more complicated schemes in the NFL, and is also one of the most aggressive. While traditionally a 3-4 styled coach, Ryan’s defense in Buffalo is a hybrid scheme that incorporates 3-4, 4-3 Under and even 46 elements off an Over/Under base front.

Jets ran a 3-4 his entire tenure. Bills were 4-3 his first year and 3-4 his last.

Ravens 4-3 his first two and 3-4 his last. But they ran a hybrid with Suggs

bigE79

Reaction score
I was gonna do a little research about Rob Ryan leaving Dallas. Maybe you can save me the time...do you recall if it was messy or just a mutual parting? I cant recall. And yes, the old man was a blowhard for sure.
Honestly,his defense sucked

phildadon86

Reaction score
Well, with Jerry, it's usually "splash" first, efficacy second. So, who knows?

And why would Ryan give up a perfectly good TV career (and home in Toronto) to move to the Metroplex and actually have to work for a living again?
Why interview if you arent interested. Surely he knows where the Cowboys play.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Isaiah Stanback Former Dallas Cowboys, New England Patriots..
Stanback who played for New England Patriots in Team Meetings says in Preparation for Rex Ryan Jets Defense
was the most difficult to prepare for..

they laughed it off, but little did they know, 2 floors above them, Rex was sitting in Jerrys office lol. Priceless. I bet Stanback knew.

dupree89

Reaction score
Wasn’t that an issue with his brother Rob when he was DC here? You have to have smart players that communicate well to run a complicated scheme. The question is whether the players on the team currently fit that bill. Mo Claiborne and Mike Jenkins didn’t appear to.
I mentioned earlier that my only issue was how the Ryan brothers sometimes have a D lineman trying to cover a RB 20 yards downfield in their crazy blitzes. Not all the time, but they do it.

Smith22

Reaction score
Rex Ryan’s defensive scheme is one of the more complicated schemes in the NFL, and is also one of the most aggressive. While traditionally a 3-4 styled coach, Ryan’s defense in Buffalo is a hybrid scheme that incorporates 3-4, 4-3 Under and even 46 elements off an Over/Under base front.

Jets ran a 3-4 his entire tenure. Bills were 4-3 his first year and 3-4 his last.

His last 6 years as HC his defense never ranked better than 15th in points allowed.

He was last a DC in 2008.

I don't get the hype.......

You could argue Martindale ran an improved version of his defense in Baltimore for 3/4 years.

Rayman70

Reaction score

its also one of the toughest to figure out. It requires the front 4 getting home to be effective. If not for Brady and New England, Rex would be viewed as an elite HC. He gave Brady fits.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Rex or Zimmer will demand you do your job well. To me, Jerry will hire one of them. My money is on Rex. Jerry loves showmanship and the potential.

Rayman70

Reaction score
NOBODY knew Rex Ryan was even in the building being interviewed. They must have snuck him in .

Carson

Reaction score
His last 6 years as HC his defense never ranked better than 15th in points allowed.

He was last a DC in 2008.

I don't get the hype.......

You could argue Martindale ran an improved version of his defense in Baltimore for 3/4 years.
Right now we are all just hoping for the best outcome. We know we aren’t getting a young innovator. Just hoping we can field a top 10 defense to go along with a top tier offense

Sydla

Reaction score
I am generally curious if all these people getting woodies over this potential hire realize he's not coached a game in 7 years and hasn't been a DC for nearly 15 years and there's likely some pretty good reasons for that.