Rex Ryan said he could have fixed the Cowboys defense this season. had they offered him more money

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
This was something I was saying all offseason. You have the personnel for Quinn’s high risk, high reward defense. Gambling corners, best player is a 3-4 pure pass rushing LB, no dominant DTs, no husky LBers, no big violent DBs… This is the opposite of the players Zimmer needs.

Dlaw. That’s a guy who fits Zimmer to a T. Not a lot else. Ryan converts this to 3-4, begs Jerry for a 350 lb anchor, Dlaw flourishes as a 5-tech, Mazi moves to 5 tech, you destroy the run and Micah is unleashed at his true position a la Terrell Suggs
Damn. I really wish this had happened.
Poignant and efficient post, Eagle fan.
I'm getting to know a lot of you guys being in Durham now.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There’s not a defensive coordinator in football that can fix a lack of talent. We have one of the worst collection of DTs in the NFL. They look like they are on skates every week.

Rex Ryan, Buddy Ryan, anyone named Ryan couldn’t fix the lack of defensive talent on this team.

Adreme

Reaction score
The problem is the best defenses are not playing the Ryan way. Teams are basically copying what the Ravens did the past few years, and the guy is now coaching Seattle. They are not blitzing as much but are instead just playing a lot of cover 2 press coverage and rushing 4. You can trust the pass rush to get there in time and you wont give up the big play. Worst case you give up a gain of 10 and just do it again but its hard to drive down the field that way.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Hate the messenger all you want, but the message is correct. Rex is a better defensive mind than Zimmer.

Rex wouldve been calling run blitzes all afternoon the way the Ravens committed to the run
Rex runs a scheme we have 90% of the players for..zim runs a scheme we have 40% of the players for....MM runs a scheme thats built for 90's players...

Shane612

Reaction score
same reason all of the ex coaches are sitting in studios talking to other ex NFL players on shows run by people who have never played the game...lol
Don't usually have an out of their tv contract if a team comes knocking for their services?

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I did read that Zimmer apology piece. And the most damning fact in there was that Terrence Newman - who he has basically know since NFL infancy and was on his staff in Minnesota - said the environment was "toxic" at the end. Toxic? Freaking Kendricks who was ALSO HIS GUY said "it's not good to motivate solely out of fear." What?

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
You must be over the age of 60. Seems yall are the only people that still think belicheck is something to care for.
You may not know this, but there have been a ton of "old" coaches who were/are good at it. The best coach in the league is Andy Reid...he's old. Dick Vermeill old. Belichick old. Parcells was old much of his last 2 stops. Bill Walsh for crying out loud. Tom Landry was old and still good in the early 80s.

The point is that coaching is about stamina...but it's also about expertise, vision, drive, etc. Some guys have it...and other guys are just young, dumb and full of you know what. So I would not dismiss BB because of the particular challenges we have in Big D. Just like Parcells was actually good for this franchise (overall) because he kept Jerry away from every single football decision. We need another guy with the actual bonafides to do that with Jerry. Mike McCarthy is a reactive doofus who is 2 notches above Campo...which is to say he was HOT GARBAGE compared to DUMPSTER FIRE HOT GARBAGE.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Don't usually have an out of their tv contract if a team comes knocking for their services?
sure no one is calling never said they were, but if you look at how many times he played Brady he gave him the most fits of any coach..Brady has said as much

Rayman70

Reaction score
Sexy Rexy aint exactly got teams banging his door down to vie for his services. I like his edge and attitude, but when you lack the players, NO SCHEME, NO coach, can help that. We have too many guys that love what the game does for them off the field. Then, they just aren't tough enough and good enough.