News: Rick Gosselin: Does the NFL Know What a QB Looks Like?

Qcard

Reaction score
Read entire article here: https://rickgosselin.com/does-the-nfl-know-what-a-qb-looks-like/

So what does a quarterback look like? Is he fast like Michael Vick or slow like Tom Brady? Is he tall like Peyton Manning or short like Drew Brees? Does he have a rocket arm like Brett Favre or a feather-touch like Joe Montana? Is he mobile like Steve Young or a statue like Dan Marino? Is he the product of a blue-blood program like Matthew Stafford or is he a small-school phenom like Roethlisberger?

As you may have surmised, there is no real prototype that gives a quarterback his best chance for success in the NFL.

But in the 20 years I spent researching NFL drafts for The Dallas Morning News in the 1990 and 2000 decades, there is one statistic I checked first and foremost on the resumes of all college quarterbacks. I didn’t care about Heisman Trophies, All-America honors, starting records or the height, weight and speed of a prospect. I wanted to know how many passes he threw at the college level.

The more passes he has thrown, the better prepared he is for the NFL. So I always looked for the guys who threw 1,300 balls in college. They are usually the three- and four-year starters. They have seen all the coverages and blitzes that college defenses have to offer. Those are the guys that I viewed with the best chance for success at the next level.

Mahomes threw 1,349 passes at Texas Tech. Peyton Manning threw 1,381 passes at Tennessee, his brother Eli threw 1,363 at Mississippi and Roethlisberger 1,304 at Miami (Ohio). All won multi-Super Bowls in their careers. Matt Ryan threw 1,347 passes at Boston College. He took the Atlanta Falcons to a Super Bowl and joined Mahomes and Manning as NFL MVPs.

Qcard

Reaction score

Dak came in 1,169 attempts, clearly explains why Prescott had issues processing defenses and defeating coverages with throws. But with coaching and development Dak is a MVP level player.

College statistics

Career497341,16962.89,3768.07023146.05362,5214.04148822.03
CmpAttPctYdsAvgTDIntRtgAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTD
SeasonTeamGPPassingRushingReceiving
Mississippi State Bulldogs
2011Mississippi State0 Redshirt Redshirt
2012Mississippi State12182962.11946.740163.8321183.74000.00
2013Mississippi State1115626758.41,9407.3107126.61348296.21325326.52
2014Mississippi State1324439661.63,4498.72711151.72109864.71423517.51
2015Mississippi State1331647766.23,7938.0295151.01605883.710000.00

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wanted to know how many passes he threw at the college level. The more passes he has thrown, the better prepared he is for the NFL. So I always looked for the guys who threw 1,300 balls in college. They are usually the three- and four-year starters.

That solidifies the Mad Genius' rationalization for acquiring Trey Lance.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Read entire article here: https://rickgosselin.com/does-the-nfl-know-what-a-qb-looks-like/

So what does a quarterback look like? Is he fast like Michael Vick or slow like Tom Brady? Is he tall like Peyton Manning or short like Drew Brees? Does he have a rocket arm like Brett Favre or a feather-touch like Joe Montana? Is he mobile like Steve Young or a statue like Dan Marino? Is he the product of a blue-blood program like Matthew Stafford or is he a small-school phenom like Roethlisberger?

As you may have surmised, there is no real prototype that gives a quarterback his best chance for success in the NFL.

But in the 20 years I spent researching NFL drafts for The Dallas Morning News in the 1990 and 2000 decades, there is one statistic I checked first and foremost on the resumes of all college quarterbacks. I didn’t care about Heisman Trophies, All-America honors, starting records or the height, weight and speed of a prospect. I wanted to know how many passes he threw at the college level.

The more passes he has thrown, the better prepared he is for the NFL. So I always looked for the guys who threw 1,300 balls in college. They are usually the three- and four-year starters. They have seen all the coverages and blitzes that college defenses have to offer. Those are the guys that I viewed with the best chance for success at the next level.

Mahomes threw 1,349 passes at Texas Tech. Peyton Manning threw 1,381 passes at Tennessee, his brother Eli threw 1,363 at Mississippi and Roethlisberger 1,304 at Miami (Ohio). All won multi-Super Bowls in their careers. Matt Ryan threw 1,347 passes at Boston College. He took the Atlanta Falcons to a Super Bowl and joined Mahomes and Manning as NFL MVPs.

Burrow, Allen, and Stroud all fell way short on this threshold. Burrow took his squad to a Super Bowl his second season too. It is better to get more development and time and to build a young QB a good to great offensive line and a couple receiving weapons. Whoever his QB and head coach is makes a big difference too.

Qcard

Reaction score
I got nothing against Skinny Dak aka Trey. Dude is a stud around the team. Great teammate and person.

The expectations being put on him by Dak Haters and the click bait traditional media is just setting the kid up for failure.

Will we give Trey the same latitude to develop and CARRY a Jerry Jones teams to the Superbowl??

Qcard

Reaction score
Cooper Rush: 1648 passes thrown in college

No wonder!
Cooper Rush’s off 0season regiment is awful….Dude stopped developing…His legs look like Freshman year. Key is continued development. Rush always had the mental capacity but physically collapsed after 7-8 games…Rush would need a 90s style running game 1500-1800 bell cow RB tandem to last a season

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I got nothing against Skinny Dak aka Trey. Dude is a stud around the team. Great teammate and person.

The expectations being put on him by Dak Haters and the click bait traditional media is just setting the kid up for failure.

Will we give Trey the same latitude to develop and CARRY a Jerry Jones teams to the Superbowl??
It is not necessary to include the usual 'Dak Haters', yada, yada yada. In my opinion, Rick Gosselin made valid points about quarterback pre-evaluation criteria that is atypical of whatever was banging around inside Jerry Jones' head before-and-when he pulled the trigger for Trey Lance. That is all my comment was about.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If you mean the team that gave up three first round draft picks for him ?

you mean that genius the one who actually gave up the most and then gave up on Trey Lance that would be the 49ers, has nothing to do with the Cowboys getting a guy that now has already been on the bench in the NFL for a LOW fourth round pick... y'all can make fun of that all you want it's just a move that may or may not work it's not a big deal nothing to see here because some other team gave up three first round draft picks for him... I bet that happens far more often than this thread is making assumptions or whatever that post from Gosselin,

I mean Daniel Jones did he have a lot of passes if im a betting man, I mean what was that dudes name over there Mitch Trubisky, I mean I don't know I just know that the NFL on a whole overreach for quarterbacks all the time and I'm not sure if this 1300 pass mark makes any sense or not...

I'm not saying it isn't interesting but Prescott was a fourth-round pick that had to start day one when he wasn't even drafted and 4th on our depth chart... the man was rookie of the year which also by the way played very well in the Green Bay lost in the playoffs we lost because the defense not because the guy didn't throw 1300 passes...​

so anybody saying he had a problem reading defenses, I would say that's probably most quarterbacks coming out of the NFL that were not in a pro-style offense and have not thrown a lot of passes...

On that note anybody wanna look up how many passes Jalen hurts through because he sure didn't look good and Justin fields both have didn't look good the first two years until their team overloaded the offense with talent And Tailored the offense a better fit of running quarterback..

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Cool. Now do Aikman. :)

Chasing6

Reaction score

He is the one that goes to a well balanced team.

The QB position, is hands down the most dependent position in football, especially for a young developing QB.

GM's get infatuated with athletic QB's, because they think they can overcome a poor OLine or lack of running game.

You don't need to be an athletic to play QB. It is an intellectual position first, 2nd and athletically 3rd.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

Maybe the NFL does or might, but Jerry sure the hell don't! lol

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Trey already failed. He couldn't even beat out Sam Darnold to be Purdy's back up. He is not a good QB, and likely never will be

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you mean the team that gave up three first round draft picks for him ?
No. I made a comment about Jerry Jones' general manager decision-making. The team and general manager John Lynch rebounded from their Trey Lance (and Jimmy Garoppolo) decisions with a final pick in the 2022 draft selecting Brock Purdy. In other words, San Francisco's Hail Mary decision. for someone still remaining on their draft board, epitomizes how qualified football executives can reason, plan out, and as a consequence, climb themselves out of the deep hole they put themselves in, instead of piling more dirt on top of themselves.

Qcard

Reaction score
It is not necessary to include the usual 'Dak Haters', yada, yada yada. In my opinion, Rick Gosselin made valid points about quarterback pre-evaluation criteria that is atypical of whatever was banging around inside Jerry Jones' head before-and-when he pulled the trigger for Trey Lance. That is all my comment was about.
I understand!!…I’d hope most sensible folks won’t project my flaws onto your opinion.

I am about that smoke :lmao: :lmao:

blueblood70

Reaction score
No. I made a comment about Jerry Jones' general manager decision-making. The team and general manager John Lynch rebounded from their Trey Lance (and Jimmy Garoppolo) decisions with a final pick in the 2022 draft selecting Brock Purdy. In other words, San Francisco's Hail Mary decision. for someone still remaining on their draft board, epitomizes how qualified football executives can reason, plan out, and as a consequence, climb themselves out of the deep hole they put themselves in, instead of piling more dirt on top of themselves.
Ohh please don't do that you just gave them credit for accidentally stumbling upon the last pick in the draft turning out to be good that's not a rebound that's tripping into something they got bailed out because they made a poor decision... So you can stay off your comments cause the team that made the biggest mistake what's the original draftees of Trey Lance they literally gave up three first round picks for the guy that is not strategic that is by accident.. That's like giving credit to Bill Belichick for getting Tom Brady in the sixth round and he turned out to be the goat that is absolutely inaccurate they were lucky they happened upon Tom Brady... It's not much different than some saying around here that Jerry was bailed out by somehow Tony Romo and Prescott working out and it wasn't by design that is the same thing that happened with the 49ers and the New England Patriots those were absolute accidents..
Ohh yeah I'm checking your statements because you acted like they shouldn't get Trey Lance for 4 rounder when the team that made the biggest mistake was the one who gave up three first round picks for him..lol I like how you try to slip that in there that that they made-up for it and that they rebounded no no that's not accurate at all...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ohh please don't do that you just gave them credit for accidentally stumbling upon the last pick in the draft turning out to be good that's not a rebound that's tripping into something they got bailed out because they made a poor decision... So you can stay off your comments cause the team that made the biggest mistake what's the original draftees of Trey Lance they literally gave up three first round picks for the guy that is not strategic that is by accident.. That's like giving credit to Bill Belichick for getting Tom Brady in the sixth round and he turned out to be the goat that is absolutely inaccurate they were lucky they happened upon Tom Brady... It's not much different than some saying around here that Jerry was bailed out by somehow Tony Romo and Prescott working out and it wasn't by design that is the same thing that happened with the 49ers and the New England Patriots those were absolute accidents..
Ohh yeah I'm checking your statements because you acted like they shouldn't get Trey Lance for 4 rounder when the team that made the biggest mistake was the one who gave up three first round picks for him..lol I like how you try to slip that in there that that they made-up for it and that they rebounded no no that's not accurate at all...
Jerry Jones stumbled upon a fourth round pick in Dak Prescott. It is what it is. I shall credit the other two franchises you mentioned and will not do the same for this franchise per their respective drafting decisions.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Jerry Jones stumbled upon a fourth round pick in Dak Prescott. It is what it is. I shall credit the other two franchises you mentioned and will not do the same for this franchise per their respective drafting decisions.
And I say your opinion is hypocritical because it's the same absolutely even worse because there's no way they picked up Brock Purdy or Tom Brady thinking they were gonna be good these guys were probably camp arms they thought maybe hey I like the way this guy looks all the while having over play exhausted three first round picks you don't get those back I don't care how good you are yes the 49ers front office has done a great job putting together a team that consistently competes for a Super Bowl but yet since 1994 also have not won a Super Bowl they're droughts longer than ours...

So again, I absolutely disagree that you can use it for one but not the other your own team that you claim to be a fan of you get to have bias for one and not the other and that is complete hypocrisy... I see you..

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score

IMO. Head talent. #1. It's why a dude like Purdy can succeed. You process faster than the defenders can run. #2 Arm Talent to support the head. #3 Leg talent that kicks in when the defence lines up and shuts everything down perfectly. You need an ace in your back pocket that will stress a defence when they think they have you cornered.