News: Rick Gosselin: Does the NFL Know What a QB Looks Like?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Your post was hardly a genuine attempt at football discussion which was my point.

Any Dak discussion breaks down in being so far away from reality as to make both sides seem football stupid.
It's all passion over facts so even people that mean very well get drawn offsides into goofy land..

Goose theory is an interesting one to consider without clouding it with inane passion.
There are 9000000000 Dak threads and we do not need another one.

I addressed you because I do not have you ignore which means I think when you aren't posting about Dak you are a value add.
But the above is goofy to the point of hilarious:
"But Dak managed NONE of the above. Whilst ALL QB's need help, Dak has a well documented Blueprint, based on taking the run away from him and gambling if he can beat the defense as it shows changing coverage, post snap.
A QB is only as good ...AS HIS WEAKNESSES"
That is the blueprint to beat every QB. It was the blueprint Belichick used to beat Payton Manning all those times and to beat Mahomes twice in the playoffs.
But Dak's never beaten it and capitulated early....but thanks for joining in.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Your post was hardly a genuine attempt at football discussion which was my point.

Any Dak discussion breaks down in being so far away from reality as to make both sides seem football stupid.
It's all passion over facts so even people that mean very well get drawn offsides into goofy land..

Goose theory is an interesting one to consider without clouding it with inane passion.
There are 9000000000 Dak threads and we do not need another one.

I addressed you because I do not have you ignore which means I think when you aren't posting about Dak you are a value add.
But the above is goofy to the point of hilarious:
"But Dak managed NONE of the above. Whilst ALL QB's need help, Dak has a well documented Blueprint, based on taking the run away from him and gambling if he can beat the defense as it shows changing coverage, post snap.
A QB is only as good ...AS HIS WEAKNESSES"
That is the blueprint to beat every QB. It was the blueprint Belichick used to beat Payton Manning all those times and to beat Mahomes twice in the playoffs.
The irony, which is probably lost on you, is that the OP theory is that QB's aren't a one-fit-all template....then you end up claiming there's a 'template blueprint' that defeats totally different QB's ‍

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The irony, which is probably lost on you, is that the OP theory is that QB's aren't a one-fit-all template....then you end up claiming there's a 'template blueprint' that defeats totally different QB's ‍
Thats actually untrue on both fronts.
The Author's(Goose) point is that there is a blue-print and the author's point is what we are ALL considering in this thread if we are adults.
The OP disagrees and I believe he is correct. QBs might or might not have 1300 pass attempts.
Brady did not. Pickett did.

Yet the blueprint to beat a QB isn't some unknown thing.
What you are whining about is football 101.
Stop the run, fool the QB.
It has been the goal of essentially every defense for the last 40 years since the forward pass became a constant.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Thats actually untrue on both fronts.
The Author's(Goose) point is that there is a blue-print and the author's point is what we are ALL considering in this thread if we are adults.
The OP disagrees and I believe he is correct. QBs might or might not have 1300 pass attempts.
Brady did not. Pickett did.

Yet the blueprint to beat a QB isn't some unknown thing.
What you are whining about is football 101.
Stop the run, fool the QB.
It has been the goal of essentially every defense for the last 40 years since the forward pass became a constant.
While I agree with most of your posts because it saves me time to respond since I feel the same way.....

however the blueprint to beating a quarterback it's not just stopping the run,

it's literally beating your offensive line with less people and in our case many times our offensive line could be beat with a four man line against the 49ers and some of the other good teams with really good front sevens they literally shut down the run play, ohh they play a lot of extra guys on the back end cause they only need four guys to rush the passer and stop the run along the way,

THATS way too easy to become one-dimensional and they're using all their extra guys in coverage that would be a very dirty field lack of separation and lack of time to throw the football is very easy to see that that's where the problem has been in most games you can even blame the 11 penalties on them in 2022 the offensive line is not physical enough in the biggest games against the better defensive lines and front sevens they are getting beat up many times with no blitz with no extra guys,

lot of times it's four on five and they're still winning you have backs missing their blocks you have some of our offensive line blocking the wrong person person they're literally not where they're supposed to be and they're not physical enough that's why the run doesn't work and the paths get stopped it starts up front that some of it is not the players themselves are not good enough it's the scheme it's the game plans it's the adjustments not being made...

It's clear the zone can really mess up a quarterback when he's got no run game it's one-dimensional, they know what's coming and they got everybody covered... Kinda hard to throw the ball into tight windows when one you don't even have time and when you do have time you look up and everybody's covered...​

I like how they blame all the interceptions on the quarterback we did this crap in 2023 ,

if people didn't understand then go look at the Green Bay interceptions.

cooks was interfered with he also wasn't very open literally was not only pulled once he was bumped from behind pulled his shoulder back he was interfered with that's why he got leverage that's why the ball was intercepted shift press got it went somewhere else maybe but was there anywhere else to go not when you're rushed and not at that point in the game , same thing with lamb that interception was because he did not finish his route he went off script broke up field ball was already out ball was intercepted yet we're saying that Prescott had us down 7 nothing and then his interceptions created the problem no the defense was bad the offensive blocking was bad and guys were not getting open and you had CD lamb breaking off routes and dropping passes early that's why the first half looked like it did...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
While I agree with most of your posts because it saves me time to respond since I feel the same way.....

however the blueprint to beating a quarterback it's not just stopping the run,

it's literally beating your offensive line with less people and in our case many times our offensive line could be beat with a four man line against the 49ers and some of the other good teams with really good front sevens they literally shut down the run play, ohh they play a lot of extra guys on the back end cause they only need four guys to rush the passer and stop the run along the way,

THATS way too easy to become one-dimensional and they're using all their extra guys in coverage that would be a very dirty field lack of separation and lack of time to throw the football is very easy to see that that's where the problem has been in most games you can even blame the 11 penalties on them in 2022 the offensive line is not physical enough in the biggest games against the better defensive lines and front sevens they are getting beat up many times with no blitz with no extra guys,

lot of times it's four on five and they're still winning you have backs missing their blocks you have some of our offensive line blocking the wrong person person they're literally not where they're supposed to be and they're not physical enough that's why the run doesn't work and the paths get stopped it starts up front that some of it is not the players themselves are not good enough it's the scheme it's the game plans it's the adjustments not being made...

It's clear the zone can really mess up a quarterback when he's got no run game it's one-dimensional, they know what's coming and they got everybody covered... Kinda hard to throw the ball into tight windows when one you don't even have time and when you do have time you look up and everybody's covered...​

I like how they blame all the interceptions on the quarterback we did this crap in 2023 ,

if people didn't understand then go look at the Green Bay interceptions.

cooks was interfered with he also wasn't very open literally was not only pulled once he was bumped from behind pulled his shoulder back he was interfered with that's why he got leverage that's why the ball was intercepted shift press got it went somewhere else maybe but was there anywhere else to go not when you're rushed and not at that point in the game , same thing with lamb that interception was because he did not finish his route he went off script broke up field ball was already out ball was intercepted yet we're saying that Prescott had us down 7 nothing and then his interceptions created the problem no the defense was bad the offensive blocking was bad and guys were not getting open and you had CD lamb breaking off routes and dropping passes early that's why the first half looked like it did...
Sure. No disagreement there.
If you ask 150 defensive coaches the single key to winning the day.
!. Stop the Run
2. Get after the QB
--will be the leading answers by a mile.

Almost all DCs bank on one or both as their core philosophy.
Belichick brought into vogue fooling the QB (his core philospohy) but others have had similar slants and thus the constant jumping around and faking a zone to play man or vice versa.

We just hired Zimmer because he stops the run. We wanted that after having the go after the QB guy in place but failing when teams had a good OL or they kept a lot in to block.

The obvious response to DQ was to run it or throw quick. Wear down the Dallas DL with a lot of snaps and heavy run packages.

Again if people remove emotions around Player X and just deal in football terms none of this is complicated.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The Cowboys spent a 4th rounder to see if they could gather a damaged asset, rehab him and get more for him later.

We won't know the final tally until he leaves.
Wayyyy too early for people to uber passionate about a late R4 or a 3rd strong QB IMO.
Way too early??? He will not play this year and will be a free agent. So we will have to resign him, to then maybe find out what he can do in 2025.

Qcard

Reaction score
But Dak managed NONE of the above. Whilst ALL QB's need help, Dak has a well documented Blueprint, based on taking the run away from him and gambling if he can beat the defense as it shows changing coverage, post snap.
A QB is only as good ...AS HIS WEAKNESSES.
Dude....the Dak Haters are assembled here...

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/the...-floating-around.523627/page-23#post-13510968

You can talk about fake trades generated by USA today bloggers and how Dak is fake MVP candidate whom always/never had a run game :lmao2: :lmao2:

Dak Haters put pineapples in their potato salad??:laugh:

Qcard

Reaction score
The Cowboys spent a 4th rounder to see if they could gather a damaged asset, rehab him and get more for him later.

We won't know the final tally until he leaves.
Wayyyy too early for people to uber passionate about a late R4 or a 3rd strong QB IMO.
The Uber passion is based on Dallas QB1!!

It will always be that way.

We've had the Henson brigade

The Quincy Parade

The Hutchinson what's my role crew

The Clint Stoerners

Even Kellen Moore had a posse..

I find it laughable that Dak Haters think we are somehow new to this.....Trey Lance aka Skinny Dak Dance:lmao::lmao:

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Read entire article here: https://rickgosselin.com/does-the-nfl-know-what-a-qb-looks-like/

So what does a quarterback look like? Is he fast like Michael Vick or slow like Tom Brady? Is he tall like Peyton Manning or short like Drew Brees? Does he have a rocket arm like Brett Favre or a feather-touch like Joe Montana? Is he mobile like Steve Young or a statue like Dan Marino? Is he the product of a blue-blood program like Matthew Stafford or is he a small-school phenom like Roethlisberger?

As you may have surmised, there is no real prototype that gives a quarterback his best chance for success in the NFL.

But in the 20 years I spent researching NFL drafts for The Dallas Morning News in the 1990 and 2000 decades, there is one statistic I checked first and foremost on the resumes of all college quarterbacks. I didn’t care about Heisman Trophies, All-America honors, starting records or the height, weight and speed of a prospect. I wanted to know how many passes he threw at the college level.

The more passes he has thrown, the better prepared he is for the NFL. So I always looked for the guys who threw 1,300 balls in college. They are usually the three- and four-year starters. They have seen all the coverages and blitzes that college defenses have to offer. Those are the guys that I viewed with the best chance for success at the next level.

Mahomes threw 1,349 passes at Texas Tech. Peyton Manning threw 1,381 passes at Tennessee, his brother Eli threw 1,363 at Mississippi and Roethlisberger 1,304 at Miami (Ohio). All won multi-Super Bowls in their careers. Matt Ryan threw 1,347 passes at Boston College. He took the Atlanta Falcons to a Super Bowl and joined Mahomes and Manning as NFL MVPs.
Had Prescot thrown just 131 more passes in college he could have been mentioned with this group of outstanding QBs listed above.........LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Cool. Now do Aikman. :)
Troy like Burrow started college in a system that didn't fit them which is why they transfered back when transfering cost you play time...both went to pro style systems and lit it up before being drafted...so for sure there are outliers but usually you can track down why. And Burrow was throwing to what may go down as one of the best WR squads in college ever...

Chasing6

Reaction score
Bingo

Because teams are not a 1 fit all template.

It is a team sport. Even though uneducated fans think QB's should have a win/loss record.

The only one that owns the win lose record should be the Owner/GM.