News: Rick Gosselin: Does the NFL Know What a QB Looks Like?

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
If you mean the team that gave up three first round draft picks for him ?

you mean that genius the one who actually gave up the most and then gave up on Trey Lance that would be the 49ers, has nothing to do with the Cowboys getting a guy that now has already been on the bench in the NFL for a LOW fourth round pick... y'all can make fun of that all you want it's just a move that may or may not work it's not a big deal nothing to see here because some other team gave up three first round draft picks for him... I bet that happens far more often than this thread is making assumptions or whatever that post from Gosselin,

I mean Daniel Jones did he have a lot of passes if im a betting man, I mean what was that dudes name over there Mitch Trubisky, I mean I don't know I just know that the NFL on a whole overreach for quarterbacks all the time and I'm not sure if this 1300 pass mark makes any sense or not...

I'm not saying it isn't interesting but Prescott was a fourth-round pick that had to start day one when he wasn't even drafted and 4th on our depth chart... the man was rookie of the year which also by the way played very well in the Green Bay lost in the playoffs we lost because the defense not because the guy didn't throw 1300 passes...​

so anybody saying he had a problem reading defenses, I would say that's probably most quarterbacks coming out of the NFL that were not in a pro-style offense and have not thrown a lot of passes...

On that note anybody wanna look up how many passes Jalen hurts through because he sure didn't look good and Justin fields both have didn't look good the first two years until their team overloaded the offense with talent And Tailored the offense a better fit of running quarterback..
Dak had a very good oline and a rookie back out of Ohio State and if he has that again he could be lethal. He needs a strong supporting cast around him.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Joe Montana had a big arm?
Didn't need one. West coast offence. Process fast get the ball out of your hands before the defence can adjust. Draft WRs and pass catchers who are superior at YAC. Jerry Rice and Roger Craig. Later Terrell Owens.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Tom Brady attempted 700 passes in college
One thing Tom had in comparison to Bledsoe was he didn't have the big gun.

Tom didn't piss around with high risk tight window throws. His arm talent wouldn't let him. So he develop a faster processor in his head.

If you remember the first years that Parcells had Tony as the starter in practice he would have a clock timer, and he would literally scream, "Get rid of the friggin ball Romo!"

At this level having the faster processor that sees the field and the play properly will take you a long way.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Didn't need one. West coast offence. Process fast get the ball out of your hands before the defence can adjust. Draft WRs and pass catchers who are superior at YAC. Jerry Rice and Roger Craig. Later Terrell Owens.
That is my point.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dak had a very good oline and a rookie back out of Ohio State and if he has that again he could be lethal. He needs a strong supporting cast around him.
You mean outside of say Patrick mahomes that the entire NFL stable of quarterback 64 deep need talent around them and even Patrick mahomes go look at the last two Super Bowls it was the defense the run game and the special teams that kept him in a close fight and yes mahomes did his thing late but Andy Reed and that coaching staff one of the best ever assembled those players may not have the biggest names or make the most money but that don't mean they don't have a good team around mahomes just help him..

Football is the Ultimate Team sport it only takes a couple people off their game or getting penalties you know like the 11 penalties on our offensive line somehow in 2022 keeps getting kicked under the rug you know how hard it is to have an offense that has 11 penalties to come back from that that is a lot of long down and distances that's a lot of extra opportunities for a defense to stop you and then we had four that was 14 penalties total and many of them were big they brought back big plays we have defense not playing well we don't have special teams doing anything special and we haven't had a single great run game in offensive line in any of the big games show me the great physical offensive line in the run game that we've had in any of these playoff losses and don't even respond it's rhetorical we had none... I mean two to three yards per carry no big plays I mean yeah he needs a run game that would be really nice because other teams have better run games so stop acting like Prescott needs a supporting cast around him he's a truly great player he may not be elite but he played elite last year and still couldn't get anywhere because why almost all of our losses our defense started out giving up points then they gave up even more points and then after the halftime even more points it's kinda hard like the Seattle game to win when your defense plays that bad when you don't have a strong run game when you're 1 dimensional you can't play 1 dimensional football against some of the best teams in football when you're easy to diagnose you're basically throwing the game..​
Some of that is on the coaching staff some of it's on player execution I mean this is the Ultimate Team game and you get you see a team like the 49ers have the same terrible first half against the lions and their team made enough plays and enough stops until their offense figured it out and then they came back and won that game our defense in turn gave up 21 straight points out of the halftime the game was lost on the opening drive basically everyone says that our team was in shock because they think Prescott can't win big games because he looks like a deer in headlights no they saw what the defense couldn't do which also in 2022 did you not see the defense give up almost 10 yards per carry in the first half debo Samuels was like on vacation back there... I mean we watched the defense be the reason we lost in 2016 and 2018 and partially in 2022 and it's they're not making the same plays in the regular season as they are in the playoffs and they're making all these big plays these pick sixes all these interceptions but they dropped the ones that hit them in the hands in the biggest game..​
So back to my point we're losing games as a team from the coaching staff all the way down to the ball boy something isn't right and yeah I put in ball boy because I remember with Tony Romo fumbling that kickball in the Seattle game that thing looked like it was lubed up with WD40 and the guy sweating and I don't know why he's holding anyway I blame that on Parcells but yes it was team losses these are all team losses I don't know one loss that I can remember in a playoff game where the whole team played well and our quarterback just played like **** and lost us the game...​
But I do remember this I've seen many games where Troy and Roger didn't play well their team picked them up and they helped him win the game.. Our team just doesn't respond well when they get down in a playoff game they seem to struggle and part of it is the coaching staff you know in game adjustments and play calling they just don't have it they play scared to lose and it and it kind of permeates throughout the team...​
So all quarterbacks make mistakes all quarterbacks need help the problem is our team seems to rely on our stars to a point where if they don't play well nobody else is there to rescue them as a team...​

blueblood70

Reaction score
Right. I believe the Cowboys in 2016 and 2018 had a defense showed up or a stronger run game in 2018, we would have went to the NFC championship games,

I'm that confident literally was not because of Prescott that we lost those games,

literally was more on the defense than the coaching we all saw it so everyone keeps saying Prescott can't win the big game and these for help though this team can't win the big game this team needs more help...

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Burrow, Allen, and Stroud all fell way short on this threshold. Burrow took his squad to a Super Bowl his second season too. It is better to get more development and time and to build a young QB a good to great offensive line and a couple receiving weapons. Whoever his QB and head coach is makes a big difference too.
I agree, this is just confirmation bias.

QBs who throw a lot of passes in college regularly bust, and there are plenty of success stories of guys who only played well for 1-2 years

rambo2

Reaction score
Read entire article here: https://rickgosselin.com/does-the-nfl-know-what-a-qb-looks-like/

So what does a quarterback look like? Is he fast like Michael Vick or slow like Tom Brady? Is he tall like Peyton Manning or short like Drew Brees? Does he have a rocket arm like Brett Favre or a feather-touch like Joe Montana? Is he mobile like Steve Young or a statue like Dan Marino? Is he the product of a blue-blood program like Matthew Stafford or is he a small-school phenom like Roethlisberger?

As you may have surmised, there is no real prototype that gives a quarterback his best chance for success in the NFL.

But in the 20 years I spent researching NFL drafts for The Dallas Morning News in the 1990 and 2000 decades, there is one statistic I checked first and foremost on the resumes of all college quarterbacks. I didn’t care about Heisman Trophies, All-America honors, starting records or the height, weight and speed of a prospect. I wanted to know how many passes he threw at the college level.

The more passes he has thrown, the better prepared he is for the NFL. So I always looked for the guys who threw 1,300 balls in college. They are usually the three- and four-year starters. They have seen all the coverages and blitzes that college defenses have to offer. Those are the guys that I viewed with the best chance for success at the next level.

Mahomes threw 1,349 passes at Texas Tech. Peyton Manning threw 1,381 passes at Tennessee, his brother Eli threw 1,363 at Mississippi and Roethlisberger 1,304 at Miami (Ohio). All won multi-Super Bowls in their careers. Matt Ryan threw 1,347 passes at Boston College. He took the Atlanta Falcons to a Super Bowl and joined Mahomes and Manning as NFL MVPs.
Somebody find the Brady combine picture.

tomokawan

Reaction score
Right. I believe the Cowboys in 2016 and 2018 had a defense showed up or a stronger run game in 2018, we would have went to the NFC championship games,

I'm that confident literally was not because of Prescott that we lost those games,

literally was more on the defense than the coaching we all saw it so everyone keeps saying Prescott can't win the big game and these for help though this team can't win the big game this team needs more help...
Not many here want acknowledge our defensive issues over the years. They want to myopicly blame the QB. Football is a team game. I have not seen this defense ever pull out a game when the offense had an off day. Seems Romo and Dak had to be at the top of their game everytime to win.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not many here want acknowledge our defensive issues over the years. They want to myopicly blame the QB. Football is a team game. I have not seen this defense ever pull out a game when the offense had an off day. Seems Romo and Dak had to be at the top of their game everytime to win.
Lack of football knowledge.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Read entire article here: https://rickgosselin.com/does-the-nfl-know-what-a-qb-looks-like/

So what does a quarterback look like? Is he fast like Michael Vick or slow like Tom Brady? Is he tall like Peyton Manning or short like Drew Brees? Does he have a rocket arm like Brett Favre or a feather-touch like Joe Montana? Is he mobile like Steve Young or a statue like Dan Marino? Is he the product of a blue-blood program like Matthew Stafford or is he a small-school phenom like Roethlisberger?

As you may have surmised, there is no real prototype that gives a quarterback his best chance for success in the NFL.

But in the 20 years I spent researching NFL drafts for The Dallas Morning News in the 1990 and 2000 decades, there is one statistic I checked first and foremost on the resumes of all college quarterbacks. I didn’t care about Heisman Trophies, All-America honors, starting records or the height, weight and speed of a prospect. I wanted to know how many passes he threw at the college level.

The more passes he has thrown, the better prepared he is for the NFL. So I always looked for the guys who threw 1,300 balls in college. They are usually the three- and four-year starters. They have seen all the coverages and blitzes that college defenses have to offer. Those are the guys that I viewed with the best chance for success at the next level.

Mahomes threw 1,349 passes at Texas Tech. Peyton Manning threw 1,381 passes at Tennessee, his brother Eli threw 1,363 at Mississippi and Roethlisberger 1,304 at Miami (Ohio). All won multi-Super Bowls in their careers. Matt Ryan threw 1,347 passes at Boston College. He took the Atlanta Falcons to a Super Bowl and joined Mahomes and Manning as NFL MVPs.
Nice short list at bottom to prove his point but the GOAT (Brady) only threw 500 passes. One of the reasons he dropped.

Would like to see a thorough list of all QBs and their NFL success instead of a cherry-picked easy article.

C’mon dude, this is the Information Age. Give us some solid data. Wouldn’t take long to do this in Excel. This is why newspaper writers are becoming obsolete.

Great point but flaky proof. Would have liked to have seen if there really is a link to college start experience.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
You mean outside of say Patrick mahomes that the entire NFL stable of quarterback 64 deep need talent around them and even Patrick mahomes go look at the last two Super Bowls it was the defense the run game and the special teams that kept him in a close fight and yes mahomes did his thing late but Andy Reed and that coaching staff one of the best ever assembled those players may not have the biggest names or make the most money but that don't mean they don't have a good team around mahomes just help him..

Football is the Ultimate Team sport it only takes a couple people off their game or getting penalties you know like the 11 penalties on our offensive line somehow in 2022 keeps getting kicked under the rug you know how hard it is to have an offense that has 11 penalties to come back from that that is a lot of long down and distances that's a lot of extra opportunities for a defense to stop you and then we had four that was 14 penalties total and many of them were big they brought back big plays we have defense not playing well we don't have special teams doing anything special and we haven't had a single great run game in offensive line in any of the big games show me the great physical offensive line in the run game that we've had in any of these playoff losses and don't even respond it's rhetorical we had none... I mean two to three yards per carry no big plays I mean yeah he needs a run game that would be really nice because other teams have better run games so stop acting like Prescott needs a supporting cast around him he's a truly great player he may not be elite but he played elite last year and still couldn't get anywhere because why almost all of our losses our defense started out giving up points then they gave up even more points and then after the halftime even more points it's kinda hard like the Seattle game to win when your defense plays that bad when you don't have a strong run game when you're 1 dimensional you can't play 1 dimensional football against some of the best teams in football when you're easy to diagnose you're basically throwing the game..​
Some of that is on the coaching staff some of it's on player execution I mean this is the Ultimate Team game and you get you see a team like the 49ers have the same terrible first half against the lions and their team made enough plays and enough stops until their offense figured it out and then they came back and won that game our defense in turn gave up 21 straight points out of the halftime the game was lost on the opening drive basically everyone says that our team was in shock because they think Prescott can't win big games because he looks like a deer in headlights no they saw what the defense couldn't do which also in 2022 did you not see the defense give up almost 10 yards per carry in the first half debo Samuels was like on vacation back there... I mean we watched the defense be the reason we lost in 2016 and 2018 and partially in 2022 and it's they're not making the same plays in the regular season as they are in the playoffs and they're making all these big plays these pick sixes all these interceptions but they dropped the ones that hit them in the hands in the biggest game..​
So back to my point we're losing games as a team from the coaching staff all the way down to the ball boy something isn't right and yeah I put in ball boy because I remember with Tony Romo fumbling that kickball in the Seattle game that thing looked like it was lubed up with WD40 and the guy sweating and I don't know why he's holding anyway I blame that on Parcells but yes it was team losses these are all team losses I don't know one loss that I can remember in a playoff game where the whole team played well and our quarterback just played like **** and lost us the game...​
But I do remember this I've seen many games where Troy and Roger didn't play well their team picked them up and they helped him win the game.. Our team just doesn't respond well when they get down in a playoff game they seem to struggle and part of it is the coaching staff you know in game adjustments and play calling they just don't have it they play scared to lose and it and it kind of permeates throughout the team...​
So all quarterbacks make mistakes all quarterbacks need help the problem is our team seems to rely on our stars to a point where if they don't play well nobody else is there to rescue them as a team...​
I pretty much agree with all you wrote except one but hey that ain't too bad. I appreciate your points and effort.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

But Dak managed NONE of the above. Whilst ALL QB's need help, Dak has a well documented Blueprint, based on taking the run away from him and gambling if he can beat the defense as it shows changing coverage, post snap.
A QB is only as good ...AS HIS WEAKNESSES.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Goose is a smart guy who did a great job covering the drafts.
He was a scouts best friend because he really did love the deep analysis.

But Tom Brady only had 638 college pass attempts.

A massive number of guys have had 1300+ but busted out.

Kenny Pickett had 1674 attempts.

BUT it isn't a bad goal to have a lot of college pass attempts.
Pat Mahomes had all those attempts because Tech had no defense. None, zero, zilch. He passed every play and needed 50 attempts a game.
He came out early so any standard offense would of left him short of 1300.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
But Dak managed NONE of the above. Whilst ALL QB's need help, Dak has a well documented Blueprint, based on taking the run away from him and gambling if he can beat the defense as it shows changing coverage, post snap.
A QB is only as good ...AS HIS WEAKNESSES.
I promise you guys every thread doesn't have to be about Dak.
It is OK to just let him exist and focus on point being made by the author here.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I promise you guys every thread doesn't have to be about Dak.
It is OK to just let him exist and focus on point being made by the author here.
Stand down....the OP was followed in #2 , by the author giving a Dak slant. If there's a genuine attempt at a football discussion then fine.....but this wasn't....so find another thread. ‍♂️

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It was a completely stupid move.

Traded him at the end of camp. First year was a complete waste of time.

Now we have to pay $5M in an attempt to figure out what he is. Cowboys organizational knows better the the Niners organization? I think not.

His contract expires same time as Dak's. Very unrealistic that Trance plays this year. What are we going to learn in pre-season angainst vanilla defenses and rookie players? That he can run.

Why did the Niners bring in Darnold at $5M, when they could have kept Trance for $1M?

They wanted insurance if Purdy was not 100% ready to go. Trance was not a good insurance policy.
The Cowboys spent a 4th rounder to see if they could gather a damaged asset, rehab him and get more for him later.

We won't know the final tally until he leaves.
Wayyyy too early for people to uber passionate about a late R4 or a 3rd strong QB IMO.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Stand down....the OP was followed in #2 , by the author giving a Dak slant. If there's a genuine attempt at a football discussion then fine.....but this wasn't....so find another thread. ‍♂️
Your post was hardly a genuine attempt at football discussion which was my point.

Any Dak discussion breaks down in being so far away from reality as to make both sides seem football stupid.
It's all passion over facts so even people that mean very well get drawn offsides into goofy land..

Goose theory is an interesting one to consider without clouding it with inane passion.
There are 9000000000 Dak threads and we do not need another one.

I addressed you because I do not have you ignore which means I think when you aren't posting about Dak you are a value add.
But the above is goofy to the point of hilarious:
"But Dak managed NONE of the above. Whilst ALL QB's need help, Dak has a well documented Blueprint, based on taking the run away from him and gambling if he can beat the defense as it shows changing coverage, post snap.
A QB is only as good ...AS HIS WEAKNESSES"
That is the blueprint to beat every QB. It was the blueprint Belichick used to beat Payton Manning all those times and to beat Mahomes twice in the playoffs.