Video: Rico One-Hand catch today

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
that-boy-good-gif-10.gif

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Where are the Blake Jarwin highlights? I haven't even heard him making a good catch. Swaim and Schultz are nothing more than blockers. They both are not pass catching TEs. Especially Schultz.

Gathers causes the other team to account for him. He is a matchup nightmare. None of our TEs can scare anyone.

Did you not watch the preseason game? Two good catch-and-runs by Barwin.

Swaim is a good blocker and decent receiver. More a second TE than a lead dog.

I'm not sure about Schultz.

The biggest issues with Rico are just that he needs more time to work on the nuances. His potential as a blocker is higher than any of the other TEs, and possibly as a receiver, but the other TEs have been running routes since they were in grade school while Gathers has not.

As I mentioned in another thread, I was disappointed that Dallas didn't play him more Thursday because he needs the playing time worse than probably any of the other TEs.

I agree on his potential to be a TE that scares other teams, but he still has so much to learn to be fully trusted. The question is whether the coaches can get him to the point where the team is willing to take advantage of the things he does well.

aria

Reaction score
The fascination with this chump is unbelievable. He had one decent pre season a year ago, a one handed catch, a lame rap career and some size so people can’t shut up about him. Why do some of you love him so much? What am I missing?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I have never been that impressed with most one handed catches. Some are great. Most are extremely overrated. To me, the two handed difficult catch is way more impressive because it shows that a receiver can be fundamentally sound in all situations and more likely to catch almost everything.

When Junior Odell Beckham made that famous one handed stab against us in 2014, suddenly every 12 year old playing receiver tries to one hand catch passes that are supposed to be made with two. The one hand grab should be an extreme rarity rather than a go to.

Nothing against Rico in this instance. It’s a nice catch. Is it great? Not really.
:clap::clap::clap:
Thank you! I agree. Tired of kids trying to one hand every catch.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Where are the Blake Jarwin highlights? I haven't even heard him making a good catch. Swaim and Schultz are nothing more than blockers. They both are not pass catching TEs. Especially Schultz.

Gathers causes the other team to account for him. He is a matchup nightmare. None of our TEs can scare anyone.

I think because Swaim is not a special player, we tend to discredit him.

This is from DC.com's Scout's Notebook:

· I have a ton of respect for Jeff Heath and how physical he is as a cover guy. They’ve asked him to become a box player with responsibilities of working against the tight ends. Geoff Swaim was a really good match for him Saturday. Swaim has had a really good camp, both as a blocker and as a pass catcher, and is positioning himself to be the first-team tight end. In their battle, Heath tried to grab Swaim off the line and actually had a hold of his jersey, but Swaim broke free with a nice swim move to gain separation. Heath fought back to gain position, then Swaim swam him again to work his way back to Prescott for the falling reception.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Gee. Bottom of the roster TE who doesn't play ST. That'd sound promising if he was a rookie

T-RO

Reaction score
Little memo to posters bashing Garrett for not giving Rico a chance:
He’s third string, which means as of today he’s on the team.

GEESH.

Let’s hope he can deliver the goods and keep it up.

T-RO

Reaction score
I have never been that impressed with most one handed catches. Some are great. Most are extremely overrated. To me, the two handed difficult catch is way more impressive because it shows that a receiver can be fundamentally sound in all situations and more likely to catch almost everything.

Some balls a receiver is simply not going to catch if using two hands.Your catch radius is a bit wider at times using two hands.

Proof

Reaction score
I think its silly that Garrett doesn't give Gathers a chance. Who cares if he can't block as well as the others. The other 3 TEs are nothing more than blocking TEs that can't catch. Our coach needs to think out of the box and just start playing Gathers more with the idea of using them as passcatchers rather than extra blockers. We already have 3 other TEs that can block and its not like they are anything special.

not to mention we have the most heavily invested in o-line in the league (maybe history?) blocking shouldn't have to be our tight ends biggest strength