FEATURED ***** RIP John Madden *****

IAmLegend

Reaction score
One of the most important and iconic figures in football history. The game lost an absolute legend today. Sad day.

“If you think about it, I've never held a job in my life. I went from being an NFL player to a coach to a broadcaster. I haven't worked a day in my life.”

- John Madden.

The ultimate football guy.

Rest In Peace John.

Proof

Reaction score
sad day. he was so omnipresent and influential in my youth. before i even discovered what an absolutely legendary coach he was

this turduckens for you

triplets_93

Reaction score
Still has me bummed out.

As other posters have stated, not only was he a great coach and commentator, he could explain complex football items in simple ways. And he was just a natural alongside Pat and Al all those years when it came to talking about football. A true genuine love for the game.

Could be breaking down a play and then the next series he's giddy and excited and would say one of his famous phrases.

NFL lost a legend.

He has no peers.

John was unique.

quickccc

Reaction score
A gigantic NFL and broadcasting icon ... he flat set the stage and example as an NFL color commentator to which all past, current and future NFL commentators will
all to be measured by.

He really put the " Boom" into play analyst. Hard to believe he's gone. but never will be forgotten.

Thoughts prayers and condoences to Madden family and his closet beloved friends.
He will be most missed. RIP John.

J817

Reaction score
I will admit this one hit me hard.

I may not have been the fan I am today without this man. Listening to Summerall and Madden in the booth and in video games are some of highlights of my childhood. My fascination with football started with playing Madden 95. My father may have pushed me to root for the Cowboys and to play and love the game, but it was Madden that sparked that fire. I will forever be grateful. Thank you Mr. Madden.

Jack Burton

It's all in the reflexes.
Reaction score
Madden was one of those guys I could listen to talking about football forever. He was smart, but in an everyman, accessible kind of way. There'll never be another one. I hope he smashed through the pearly gates and went, "Boom!" Rest in peace man.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This fan is indebted to this man, for many enriched and learning experiences in my life. Thank you, Sir. You gave a lot to me and the sport. God bless you and your family,

NeathBlue

Reaction score
So sad to hear the passing of an absolute legend…
It can’t be underestimated how much he contributed to the popularity of the NFL worldwide.
His commentary, enthusiasm and off course the video game with his name, made him known all around the world… RIP

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/28/john-madden-football-legend-dies-at-85/

John Madden, a legendary figure known to one generation as a Hall of Fame coach, another generation as the sport’s greatest announcer, and yet another generation for the video game that bears his name, has died at the age of 85.

The NFL announced Madden’s passing today.

Madden’s influence on the sport of football is impossible to overstate. He was the youngest head coach in pro football when Al Davis hired him to coach the Oakland Raiders, and he led them to a Super Bowl title while having so much success that he still has the all-time highest winning percentage among all coaches who won at least 100 games.

But as great a coach as he was, he did more for the sport after he retired for coaching. In the broadcasting booth, Madden became a sensation, not just the best broadcaster in football but one of the most popular figures in America, as famous as any movie star but as down-to-earth as any guy you’d talk about sports with at the barbershop. Everyone loved him.

And then Madden had his video game, which he didn’t just lend his name to but took an active role in developing, always insisting that it needed to be as realistic as possible. The youngest generation of football fans that can’t even remember him as a broadcaster, let alone as a coach, is still influenced by Madden’s giant presence in the sport.

Even in the final years of his life, Madden had an important role in the NFL, advising the league and advocating for rule changes that would protect players from brain injuries.

John Madden may have been the single most influential person in the history of the sport of football.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He is the analyst voice of many of our football fandoms. Always knew it was a big game when you heard him and Pat Summerall. Now, they are reunited in heaven. RIP

BOOM!
R.I.P., Johnny we hardly knew ya.