*** SPOILERS *** Rise of Skywalker Spoiler Thread

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
My buddy has the movie on Plex.

I got about 48 minutes in last night before I got interrupted.

JJ Abrams made a different movie. That didn't even feel like a Star Wars movie. It felt like a blend of Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Chronicles of Narnia, and The Matrix.

What was with the idiot crazy acrobatics?

I still have about an hour and a half left of movie to watch.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
The only thing that would have saved the movie for me would have been if, when asked her last name, the camera zooms close to her face and she gives an big grin showing pointed teeth with the reply "Palpatine" and the screen goes black.

erod

Reaction score
I thought JJ Abrams did a decent job of trying to undo the BS cluster that Rian Johnson created in The Last Jedi. Johnson's and Kennedy's only concern was to spew their anti-capitalism and feminism agenda, which is why she fired so many gifted people on the creative side to find the castrated director she wanted to, in turn, castrate Luke.

May the politically correct force be with you. Puke.

That light saber flip by Luke was virtually impossible to overcome. Abrams set up the entire trilogy with that final moment in TFA, and Johnson just threw it over the shoulder of the most iconic character in order to.... go drink sea cow milk? Johnson undid TFA and every episode before it. That quite clearly pissed Abrams off, who did the same in return in thre final chapter.

Rose became a symbol of Rian Johnson. A worthless extra in the background. Lol, brilliant.

The Rise of Skywalker was a big "*** you!" to Johnson and Kennedy that apparently even she didn't have the power to quash, lest she be fired herself. Nobody liked their movie, including most importantly Mark Hamill, the world of fans, and Abrams himself.

Abrams basically had to make two movies at the same time, one to somehow fix TLJ and one to wrap up the trilogy he set up nicely in TFA. Given that context, I thought he did a good job with a mess he was handed.

Hopefully, Johnson will never make another movie and find the communist paradise he seeks so desperately. And Kennedy can start her women-only hero franchise she craves.

Abrams made a visually stunning movie that moved too fast and had too many cameos and pilot twists.

But what was he supposed to do with that filth he was handed? I enjoyed the movie and thought he did a decent job of wrapping up a cluster.

If only these movies could have been made 15 years ago.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
The only thing that would have saved the movie for me would have been if, when asked her last name, the camera zooms close to her face and she gives an big grin showing pointed teeth with the reply "Palpatine" and the screen goes black.

Any ending but what we got.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My buddy has the movie on Plex.

I got about 48 minutes in last night before I got interrupted.

JJ Abrams made a different movie. That didn't even feel like a Star Wars movie. It felt like a blend of Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Chronicles of Narnia, and The Matrix.

What was with the idiot crazy acrobatics?

I still have about an hour and a half left of movie to watch.
The movie's first hour tried my patience in a big way. I do like your blending analogy in how the initial half was presented. For me the first half introduction changed to a more standard Star Wars like feel later. And The Force acrobatics were reminiscent of character movement in episodes one through three, which I enjoyed very much.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I completely agree. It's crystal clear that there was no established plan for this trilogy, and that's the inexcusable part. Credit to JJ for doing the best he could to give us a definitive conclusion and resolutions, but overall, they were a mess. And Kathleen Kennedy bears responsibility for that. She needs to be replaced in the best interests of the Star Wars property in the future.
i've not seen it. really have zero intention to. the way i heard it best so far is "disney made the film for the fans they wanted, not who they had" and when all this started out for me in 1977 at a drive in theater in orlando, florida - i had such anticipation of being there at the end.

after the last jedi, i was done. 7 simply recycled 4 with PC overtones, 8 was male bashing PC garbage and i've not and won't see 9. at least not in the theaters.

but like you say - they had no plan. this was not the final trilogy to finish telling a story this is disney laying down the money to get more money and add another theme park attraction.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i've not seen it. really have zero intention to. the way i heard it best so far is "disney made the film for the fans they wanted, not who they had" and when all this started out for me in 1977 at a drive in theater in orlando, florida - i had such anticipation of being there at the end.

after the last jedi, i was done. 7 simply recycled 4 with PC overtones, 8 was male bashing PC garbage and i've not and won't see 9. at least not in the theaters.

but like you say - they had no plan. this was not the final trilogy to finish telling a story this is disney laying down the money to get more money and add another theme park attraction.

I think all of the trilogy's issues and failures can be traced back to one person - Kathleen Kennedy.

She was placed in charge because she was one of Lucas' key lieutenants and Disney incorrectly assumed that she was up to the job. She's proven the opposite to be true. I know that big corporations never publicly admit their mistakes, but if Star Wars is to ever thrive again at Disney, they need to do whatever they have to in order to get Kennedy out of there.

If hiring and firing a multitude of directors wasn't reason enough, having zero plan for what to do with this entire trilogy should be. Marvel is in such great shape because of the person in charge - Kevin Feige - and the well-crafted, well though-out plan that he's had for Marvel. Conversely, the D.C. movies struggled when they chose the wrong guy in Zack Snyder to lead them. Disney made the same mistake with their Star Wars acquisition, and they need to correct it if the franchise is to continue long term.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I think all of the trilogy's issues and failures can be traced back to one person - Kathleen Kennedy.

She was placed in charge because she was one of Lucas' key lieutenants and Disney incorrectly assumed that she was up to the job. She's proven the opposite to be true. I know that big corporations never publicly admit their mistakes, but if Star Wars is to ever thrive again at Disney, they need to do whatever they have to in order to get Kennedy out of there.

If hiring and firing a multitude of directors wasn't reason enough, having zero plan for what to do with this entire trilogy should be. Marvel is in such great shape because of the person in charge - Kevin Feige - and the well-crafted, well though-out plan that he's had for Marvel. Conversely, the D.C. movies struggled when they chose the wrong guy in Zack Snyder to lead them. Disney made the same mistake with their Star Wars acquisition, and they need to correct it if the franchise is to continue long term.
they seemed to buy the franchise w/o any vision of what to do with it but revamp it for todays culture and GO. i'm sure many long time fans loved it and that's fine.not out to rain on someones parade. but for me, i wanted to see a cohesive story wind up after 40+ years. TLJ was so painful i was done. between leia being a mary poppins, the "i want one" in reference to "a man" and the other crap they pulled, it was just everything i go to movies to get away from. ie, social preaching.

conversely, i did watch the mandalorian last night and it was some of the best "star wars" i've ever seen in a long long long time. praying they stay true to a story here and not pop culture.

now that disney owns marvel, i do wonder if they'd ever bring in "the micronauts" as it could be a modern star wars on it's own but retold w/o the lectures.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
they seemed to buy the franchise w/o any vision of what to do with it but revamp it for todays culture and GO. i'm sure many long time fans loved it and that's fine.not out to rain on someones parade. but for me, i wanted to see a cohesive story wind up after 40+ years. TLJ was so painful i was done. between leia being a mary poppins, the "i want one" in reference to "a man" and the other crap they pulled, it was just everything i go to movies to get away from. ie, social preaching.

conversely, i did watch the mandalorian last night and it was some of the best "star wars" i've ever seen in a long long long time. praying they stay true to a story here and not pop culture.

now that disney owns marvel, i do wonder if they'd ever bring in "the micronauts" as it could be a modern star wars on it's own but retold w/o the lectures.

I keep wondering about them acquiring the rights to the Micronauts as well. A lot of untapped potential there.

I'd urge you to give Rise of Skywalker a chance, Abrams does his best to undo all of the wrongs perpetrated in the Last Jedi.

Mark Hamill's role and dialogue are practically a middle finger to what Rian Johnson did. And I loved it.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I keep wondering about them acquiring the rights to the Micronauts as well. A lot of untapped potential there.

I'd urge you to give Rise of Skywalker a chance, Abrams does his best to undo all of the wrongs perpetrated in the Last Jedi.

Mark Hamill's role and dialogue are practically a middle finger to what Rian Johnson did. And I loved it.
when it comes out on tv i will likely give it a watch. just not going to pay any money to do it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
when it comes out on tv i will likely give it a watch. just not going to pay any money to do it.

That's cool. I'd never try to force anybody. I know the Last Jedi did a huge amount of damage to the fanbase and franchise. But I for one was very glad to see that Abrams realized that and did his best to undo much of that damage. It's why I try to support this film as much as I do.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
That's cool. I'd never try to force anybody. I know the Last Jedi did a huge amount of damage to the fanbase and franchise. But I for one was very glad to see that Abrams realized that and did his best to undo much of that damage. It's why I try to support this film as much as I do.
the damage started with 7 when it was basically a gussied up 4 done with PC characters and a rehashed plot. 2 dogs in a row and i was done. they had zero intention of finishing the story when they bought it and i do feel it was just a money grab on their part.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the damage started with 7 when it was basically a gussied up 4 done with PC characters and a rehashed plot. 2 dogs in a row and i was done. they had zero intention of finishing the story when they bought it and i do feel it was just a money grab on their part.

I chalk it up more to incompetence rather than any nefarious plan, no plan at all in fact.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

When Han said, “how do we blow it up, there’s always a way to blow it up”? - I think that is when I knew we were duped by this trilogy. And Han was right there TELLING you that you’ve been suckered and will for two more movies.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I thought JJ Abrams did a decent job of trying to undo the BS cluster that Rian Johnson created in The Last Jedi. Johnson's and Kennedy's only concern was to spew their anti-capitalism and feminism agenda, which is why she fired so many gifted people on the creative side to find the castrated director she wanted to, in turn, castrate Luke.

May the politically correct force be with you. Puke.

That light saber flip by Luke was virtually impossible to overcome. Abrams set up the entire trilogy with that final moment in TFA, and Johnson just threw it over the shoulder of the most iconic character in order to.... go drink sea cow milk? Johnson undid TFA and every episode before it. That quite clearly pissed Abrams off, who did the same in return in thre final chapter.

Rose became a symbol of Rian Johnson. A worthless extra in the background. Lol, brilliant.

The Rise of Skywalker was a big "*** you!" to Johnson and Kennedy that apparently even she didn't have the power to quash, lest she be fired herself. Nobody liked their movie, including most importantly Mark Hamill, the world of fans, and Abrams himself.

Abrams basically had to make two movies at the same time, one to somehow fix TLJ and one to wrap up the trilogy he set up nicely in TFA. Given that context, I thought he did a good job with a mess he was handed.

Hopefully, Johnson will never make another movie and find the communist paradise he seeks so desperately. And Kennedy can start her women-only hero franchise she craves.

Abrams made a visually stunning movie that moved too fast and had too many cameos and pilot twists.

But what was he supposed to do with that filth he was handed? I enjoyed the movie and thought he did a decent job of wrapping up a cluster.

If only these movies could have been made 15 years ago.

Most (not all) of my issues with the movie have to do with Abrams trying to clean up the mess from TLJ, so I have a hard time holding it against him. It was a monumental task, and that fact that it works at all is impressive.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Han said, “how do we blow it up, there’s always a way to blow it up”? - I think that is when I knew we were duped by this trilogy. And Han was right there TELLING you that you’ve been suckered and will for two more movies.
Does that perspective mean we were duped way back in 1983, when Return of the Jedi basically repeated the destruction of the Death Star as seen in 1977's A New Hope? :huh: The Force Awakens did not meet my expectations but Harrison Ford's line was one of the things I enjoyed most out of the movie.

For me, I think Starkiller Base in TFA ended up being a brilliant diversion concocted by Palpatine to ensure his true endgame seen in The Rise of Skywalker. Two moon-sized versions of the exact same weapon had already been blown up by the Rebellion. Wouldn't creating a planet-sized version of the same weapon have the exact same weakness? I have no idea if JJ Abrams intentionally 'fixed' things with Palpatine's Final Order fleet gambit in TROS. What I do believe is that tying together Starkiller and the fleet in two separate movies was pretty smart storytelling in my opinion.

erod

Reaction score

You need to see this movie.

The Last Jedi doesn't exist anymore. Abrams basically re-wrote 8 entirely, wrote 9, and gave you the corrected version. We can all thankfully move on as if Johnson's crap never happened.

As a result, it moves a bit fast, but he had to deliver two movies in one.

I'm sure a second viewing would be crisper and move at a better pace as a result.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Does that perspective mean we were duped way back in 1983, when Return of the Jedi basically repeated the destruction of the Death Star as seen in 1977's A New Hope? :huh: The Force Awakens did not meet my expectations but Harrison Ford's line was one of the things I enjoyed most out of the movie.

For me, I think Starkiller Base in TFA ended up being a brilliant diversion concocted by Palpatine to ensure his true endgame seen in The Rise of Skywalker. Two moon-sized versions of the exact same weapon had already been blown up by the Rebellion. Wouldn't creating a planet-sized version of the same weapon have the exact same weakness? I have no idea if JJ Abrams intentionally 'fixed' things with Palpatine's Final Order fleet gambit in TROS. What I do believe is that tying together Starkiller and the fleet in two separate movies was pretty smart storytelling in my opinion.

I respect your thoughts on these things you know that...

But.... you are going under the assumption that Palp was in the plans when TFA came out. He wasn’t.

Ian asked Lucas if Palp was dead after ROTJ... If he survived?nlucas said. No. He’s dead.

JJ didn’t fix anything in my opinion. He just completed a movie.

So much promise from JJ. Star Trek. What does he do? He has Spock scream KAhhhhhhhhnnnn... instead of Kirk. FAIL.

TROS = Total Fail IMO.

As far as I’m concerned. Snoke didn’t die in TLJ. He force projected like Luke but physical form.
My proof? Who bridged Rey and Kylo’s minds at end of TLJ? It was Snoke. But now, it was Palp.

Honestly. This is the first time I won’t watch a marvel, DC or Star Wars movievmorecthan once,