*** SPOILERS *** Rise of Skywalker Spoiler Thread

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wanted to start a separate thread to discuss the movie and keep spoilers out of the other one for those who havent seen it.

What were your thoughts?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Wanted to start a separate thread to discuss the movie and keep spoilers out of the other one for those who havent seen it.

What were your thoughts?

Worst movie ever....I still don't understand what I just saw....

How the hell is the emperor still alive?

How did Chewie not die?

Rey and Ben fought to the death for nearly 2.5 movies.....only to have a make out session in the end?

And what the hell was that ...that Disney just had to throw in there @ the very end to make the LGBN happy????

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What were your thoughts?
In my opinion? It ranks seventh for me behind:
  1. Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back
  2. Episode 4: A New Hope
  3. Episode 6: Return Of The Jedi
  4. Episode 3: Revenge Of The Sith
  5. Episode 7: The Force Awakens
Technically, I could push it down to eighth because I have Rogue One ahead of TFA but RO is not an episode of the saga. They could have streamlined a good bit of the first half, by marginalizing Finn and Poe and centering on Rey and Kylo Ren much more. Just my opinion.

Still, the movie ended up on the positive side for me based on the second half. I thought Palpatine's sub-plot was very good, along with all tie-ends like Rey's origin. Even the 'Final Order' was well-thought out. Seriously. Palpatine devoted vast resources in two Death Stars, along with Starkiller Base (which I think was just a diversionary tactic on his part). They upgraded the planet killing tech for Star Destroyers. More mobile. Less of a target. Multiple advantages. Good stuff.

Finn/Rey was left unanswered. I am going with Finn being a Force-sensitive, whom Rey will guide into the ways of The Force. Leia herself was revealed as a Force prodigy that even Luke could not deny. No doubt, she was a Jedi Master. It would have been nice knowing just how powerful she actually was.

Humanity's fleet, led by Calrissian, coming to the aid of the Rebellion was a great touch. So was Rey and Kylo's Death Star wreckage battle. I loved small things in the movie, like the First Order commander who shot the spy.. He reminded me a little of Peter Cushing. Too bad he did not have more time being sinister.

I recommend the movie but I would caution anyone I know that the movie's first half may seem like a marathon but it is worth enduring.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Worst movie ever....I still don't understand what I just saw....
The 'worst movie ever' proclamations never get old. :laugh:

How the hell is the emperor still alive?
Just because Vader betrayed him does not mean the Emperor did not have a moon-sized vessel filled with loyal followers who would whatever it took to keep Palpatine alive. iThe Dark Side of the Force saved him from obliteration after Vader threw him down the bottomless shaft. Technology did the rest.

How did Chewie not die?
You attention was diverted. Rey destroyed one of two First Order transport ships Chewbacca was NOT taken prisoner on.

Rey and Ben fought to the death for nearly 2.5 movies.....only to have a make out session in the end?
Kylo was not Ben until he relinquished the Sith's hold on him. Ben was re-born at that moment. It is the Ben whom Rey had never met before that she was attracted to.

And what the hell was that ...that Disney just had to throw in there @ the very end to make the LGBN happy????
This will possibly get edited at some point. I did not really read it until now. And I am tired. Goodnight.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think they went the wrong direction with Snoke. They should have left Snoke more of a loose end, and done an origin film later. The amount of interest in him and his backstory dominated pre Last Jedi build up. There was a story there alot of people wanted to hear.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What were your thoughts?

I loved it. JJ Abrams deserves a ton of credit for fixing all of the crap that Rian Johnson screwed up in The Last Jedi. Not only did he undo that damage, but gave us a compelling original story and wrapped up all of the significant threads and storylines from the entire trilogy. I loved how they brought all of the actors voices back for the end Sith vs Jedi battle, credit to everyone involved. And I liked the final lesson that you are not defined by your bloodline, whether for good or bad, and that you decide who and what you ultimately become.

A great ending and I can't wait to see it again.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

What were your thoughts?
The ending ruined the entire premise of what Star Wars was all about. The Skywalker’s Anakin and Luke restoring balance to all. With that movie was ok but Ben should have been the one to survive as he had the bloodline and survived his true test of not going to the dark side.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was dumb, she is not a Skywalker, this trilogy was a hot mess.
i believe a good bit of the audience will feel the same way. TFA, TLJ and ROS's first half were all essentially about Rey's mysterious chosen destiny. There was little story construction done cementing the ideas of adoption or 'marriage' to prepare viewers beforehand.

Rey, as an adopted or assimilated Skywalker, was thrown into the audience's lap. It was different from how relationships were tied together in the past. Luke knew he was a Skywalker from jump and got a wake up call in the next picture about what his family name really meant. Yoda and Obi-Wan teased there was another Skywalker and Luke enlightens Leia in the next movie. Everyone already knew how the timeline would work, Anakin and Padme's secretly conceived children were either taken in or hidden with other family, and the prequel familial bonds were there for the 'next' film.

The same was not done for Rey. She and Ben's love could have blossomed into a relationship given time. Nope. It was a gentle caress of the cheek, a few seconds of looking into each other's eyes, a kiss followed by Romeo's quick death and boom. It is assumed the audience accepts Rey's inclusion into the House of Skywalker because they would have hooked up eventually after the audience has watched them as strictly antagonists for two movies and seven-eights of the final one.

The adoptive daughter angle was somewhat better laid out. Audiences got to see Leia and Rey bond to a degree. There were a handful of hugs but no real 'forget who you might be/you are the daughter I never had' reveal from Leia to Rey. Nope. At the very end, the audience must ride with Rey looking into her Force ghost 'mother's eyes...

(Which WOULD HAVE BEEN a better scene without Force ghost Luke standing beside her in my opinion. 'Parents' should not be brother and sister. :oops: Where's young/old Force ghost Anakin? He wasn't blood either but he was FAMILY right? Where's Force ghost Ben? The brother/husband she never truly knew? After all, he rejected the Sith and embraced the light side of the Force in the end didn't he? :rolleyes: )

...and Rey knowing the answer to the nomad woman's question, who just happened to be passing by an old sand-filled home, was "[I am] Rey Skywalker."

Man. This turned into a rant within a rant. :laugh: I do agree 'the Force is stronger than blood' concept could have better done better. It does work though despite how weakly it was put together leading up to that point. Rey is THE balance, whose blood shares with one of the most powerful Sith in canon history. And whose soul embraces the light side of The Force, championed by one of the most powerful Jedi family in canon history.

it is a stretch for the audience but it is what it is. :p

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The ending ruined the entire premise of what Star Wars was all about. The Skywalker’s Anakin and Luke restoring balance to all. With that movie was ok but Ben should have been the one to survive as he had the bloodline and survived his true test of not going to the dark side.
Looking at it that way would have me wanting a different movie title. The latest trilogy had:
  • A Skywalker go Sith
  • A Skywalker go exile
  • And a Skywalker go nowhere and was the leader of the Rebellion
It is likely just me but I cannot narrow the title down to just Ben's transformation as a Jedi. There were too many Skywalkers in the movie for me to latch onto just one 'rising'. Maybe The Reincarnation Of Skywalker? Or The Redemption Of Skywalker? Or The Reclamation Of Skywalker? I don't know but that premise works better with movie titles like those. One thing I am sure of is that I am running out of words being with the letter R. :p

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Looking at it that way would have me wanting a different movie title. The latest trilogy had:
  • A Skywalker go Sith
  • A Skywalker go exile
  • And a Skywalker go nowhere and was the leader of the Rebellion
It is likely just me but I cannot narrow the title down to just Ben's transformation as a Jedi. There were too many Skywalkers in the movie for me to latch onto just one 'rising'. Maybe The Reincarnation Of Skywalker? Or The Redemption Of Skywalker? Or The Reclamation Of Skywalker? I don't know but that premise works better with movie titles like those. One thing I am sure of is that I am running out of words being with the letter R. :p
I hear ya. Watching the original trilogy it doesn’t take long to hit on the Skywalker importance of the entire movie. Just made no sense to have a Palpetine as the last one standing. I still enjoyed the movie just left saying dumb ending.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear ya. Watching the original trilogy it doesn’t take long to hit on the Skywalker importance of the entire movie. Just made no sense to have a Palpetine as the last one standing. I still enjoyed the movie just left saying dumb ending.
The originality cannot be easily set aside in my opinion. 'Sith reborn as Jedi' has an undeniable been there/done that quality.

On the the hand, a melding or uniting of light side and dark side, Jedi and Sith, into one package is pretty darn fresh--especially after decades of eight core movies and other films and television shows that have incessantly harped upon achieving balance within The Force. Well, Rey IS true balance made flesh. Just saying. ;)

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
This is how I would rank the SW movies.

1) A New Hope
2) The Empire Strikes Back
3) Return of the Jedi
4) Revenge of the Sith
5) The Rise of Skywalker
6) The Force Awakens
7) Attack of the Clones
8) The Phantom Menace
9) The Last Jedi

TROS was a very enjoyable movie to me after the hot mess that was TLJ. Sure there were things you could nitpick but it actually felt like the old SW and was a lot of fun.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a thread question based on some of the audience's reaction to Leia's Mary Poppins scene in TLJ. There was almost nothing revealed about Leia's training in The Force before it. I believe much of the scene's ridicule was from a "How the heck could she of all people do that?" preconception.

She shielded her presence well from Snoke, her own son, and even Palpatine. We see her humbling poor little CGI Mark Hamill :muttley:in lightsaber training. Heck, she did not even BOTHER keeping a lightsaber. She easily and communicated to Kylo using The Force than it cut completely through his passion for fighting Rey during their Death Star wreckage duel.

[James Earl Jones voice] Leia was indeed powerful in The Force, perhaps her father's equal or better. Would some people have reacted the same way if there had been a scene where Vader had been blown into space and he saved himself? I do not think reaction would have been as prominent if it had. That is not my real question though.

Thread question: Has your opinion been slightly altered or changed about her space flying scene after the finale provided more tidbits of Leia's growth in The Force?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I have a thread question based on some of the audience's reaction to Leia's Mary Poppins scene in TLJ. There was almost nothing revealed about Leia's training in The Force before it. I believe much of the scene's ridicule was from a "How the heck could she of all people do that?" preconception.

She shielded her presence well from Snoke, her own son, and even Palpatine. We see her humbling poor little CGI Mark Hamill :muttley:in lightsaber training. Heck, she did not even BOTHER keeping a lightsaber. She easily and communicated to Kylo using The Force than it cut completely through his passion for fighting Rey during their Death Star wreckage duel.

[James Earl Jones voice] Leia was indeed powerful in The Force, perhaps her father's equal or better. Would some people have reacted the same way if there had been a scene where Vader had been blown into space and he saved himself? I do not think reaction would have been as prominent if it had. That is not my real question though.

Thread question: Has your opinion been slightly altered or changed about her space flying scene after the finale provided more tidbits of Leia's growth in The Force?
I never really had a problem with it because the movie took place some 30 years after ROTJ. Fans should have known that things progressed. Remember when Obi Wan told Yoda he's our last hope and Yoda replied no there is another? Even Vader told Luke if I can't turn you maybe I can turn your sister.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never really had a problem with it because the movie took place some 30 years after ROTJ. Fans should have known that things progressed. Remember when Obi Wan told Yoda he's our last hope and Yoda replied no there is another? Even Vader told Luke if I can't turn you maybe I can turn your sister.
Good point about Vader's threat to Luke concerning Leia. Vader instantly 'knew' Leia was an optional replacement for Luke, even though she had zero training that he would be forced to instruct from scratch.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Mine has somewhat, but as you said, we should have seen that scene of her training BEFORE.

It's one of MANY Rian Johnson mistakes that JJ Abrams was able to clean up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is how I would rank the SW movies.

1) A New Hope
2) The Empire Strikes Back
3) Return of the Jedi
4) Revenge of the Sith
5) The Rise of Skywalker
6) The Force Awakens
7) Attack of the Clones
8) The Phantom Menace
9) The Last Jedi

TROS was a very enjoyable movie to me after the hot mess that was TLJ. Sure there were things you could nitpick but it actually felt like the old SW and was a lot of fun.

An excellent list. I think the only ones I'd switch up would be 4 and 5. I liked Rise of Skywalker that much.