*** SPOILERS *** Rise of Skywalker Spoiler Thread

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that is on record. The third was supposed to be 'her movie'. Sad that the two characters who lived died in the films and the one they planned to feature died in real life.

It's a shame that JJ didn't do ep 8 and sad that Carrie Fisher passed. I think it would have been a much better trilogy overall.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a shame that JJ didn't do ep 8 and sad that Carrie Fisher passed. I think it would have been a much better trilogy overall.

I completely agree. It's crystal clear that there was no established plan for this trilogy, and that's the inexcusable part. Credit to JJ for doing the best he could to give us a definitive conclusion and resolutions, but overall, they were a mess. And Kathleen Kennedy bears responsibility for that. She needs to be replaced in the best interests of the Star Wars property in the future.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keep in mind that for that massive display of force lightning, the Emperor proclaimed that he was "all of the Sith" combined into one being. And likewise at the end, while she was hearing all of those voices, Rey had the power of "all of the Jedi". They were all combined into those two beings for the ultimate, final battle.
For more explanation on the Emperor read the book that picks up where ROJ ends - Aftermath.

As for Leia - JJ set up many storylines that Rian ignored. Leia was supposed to be a large part of the new trilogy and RIan went a completely different direction and ignored the premise of the entire Star Wars saga. I would imagine that had Carrie Fisher not died she would have had a bigger part in the final episode.
Both are good stuff. I will make one last comment concerning my question and leave it behind.

Discussion focus has become more exclusive towards explaining why it is not necessary to consider some of the audience's negative reaction to Leia's TLJ scene than examine it more closely. And that was my sole reason for posting it.

In my opinion, Leia's self-rescue was a 'realistic' use of the Force at her level. In other words, it was an appropriately created scene for the audience to enjoy and certainly not object to strongly. Likewise, Palpatine's "all Siths" combined Force demonstration was an equally 'realistic' use of the Force at his level. Although I have not read that many reviews, I 'feel' like audiences generally did not have a problem with Palpatine's attempt to destroy the Rebellion in one fell swoop. And neither did I.

So. On one hand, I recall what I though was weird 'OMG! That was awful!' reaction to Leia's use of The Force. On the other hand, my perception of Palpatine's use of The Force has been a combination of applause and crickets. It is just another of my own (and seemingly singular) smh self-observations of audiences and the movies we all see. :p

nobody

Reaction score
SPOILERS Abound lol

Yeah....anyone who says it's good will forever be stained in my memory as someone you can't rely on at all for movie watching suggestions. Kathleen Kennedy botched this all from day one. Abrams remade A New Hope and called it Episode 7. Rian Johnson then set a torch to the SW universe and then Abrams tried to fix thing but either failed or was forced into failure by executive meddling.

How hard is it to have a planned road map for a trilogy set out ahead of time?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both are good stuff. I will make one last comment concerning my question and leave it behind.

Discussion focus has become more exclusive towards explaining why it is not necessary to consider some of the audience's negative reaction to Leia's TLJ scene than examine it more closely. And that was my sole reason for posting it.

In my opinion, Leia's self-rescue was a 'realistic' use of the Force at her level. In other words, it was an appropriately created scene for the audience to enjoy and certainly not object to strongly. Likewise, Palpatine's "all Siths" combined Force demonstration was an equally 'realistic' use of the Force at his level. Although I have not read that many reviews, I 'feel' like audiences generally did not have a problem with Palpatine's attempt to destroy the Rebellion in one fell swoop. And neither did I.

So. On one hand, I recall what I though was weird 'OMG! That was awful!' reaction to Leia's use of The Force. On the other hand, my perception of Palpatine's use of The Force has been a combination of applause and crickets. It is just another of my own (and seemingly singular) smh self-observations of audiences and the movies we all see. :p

I think a lot of frustration and criticism comes from lack of understanding. But I think the cases of Palpatine's display and Leia's are different.

Abrams told us why, Johnson did not. Palpatine said he was "all the Sith", and we never saw Leia train in the force in any way prior to that Mary Poppins display. Abrams did more to fix it afterwards as well, showing her past training. Good directing vs bad directing to me.

nobody

Reaction score
I think a lot of frustration and criticism comes from lack of understanding. But I think the cases of Palpatine's display and Leia's are different.

Abrams told us why, Johnson did not. Palpatine said he was "all the Sith", and we never saw Leia train in the force in any way prior to that Mary Poppins display. Abrams did more to fix it afterwards as well, showing her past training. Good directing vs bad directing to me.

I still think Super Saiyan Space Leia was ridiculous, training or not.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

Cute.

Lack of understanding is actually correct. You cannot understand something when there is zero cohesiveness. I don’t mean Rian And JJ. THE OVERALL concept of trilogy never really existed.
It’s a bang, bang, shoot em up, Star Wars-y movie trilogy.

Spoon fed, “force” feeding info/explanation is not fixing. More like patch work and honestly a big fat ***** you really.

I’m still waiting for a Skywalker, any Skywalker to “Rise”?
I would have taken Schmi over that bogey ending.

Or does a group of “Skywalker”-title people now replace the “Jedi” title?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cute.

Lack of understanding is actually correct. You cannot understand something when there is zero cohesiveness. I don’t mean Rian And JJ. THE OVERALL concept of trilogy never really existed.
It’s a bang, bang, shoot em up, Star Wars-y movie trilogy.

Spoon fed, “force” feeding info/explanation is not fixing. More like patch work and honestly a big fat ***** you really.

I’m still waiting for a Skywalker, any Skywalker to “Rise”?
I would have taken Schmi over that bogey ending.

Or does a group of “Skywalker”-title people now replace the “Jedi” title?

Here it is again, explained:

"One of the themes of the movie is that anyone can be anything regardless of where you're from. I don't know if it resonates for everyone, but I think there are quite a few people who appreciate that idea of not coming from a place that you're particularly excited about or proud of. Though I completely understand 'you're nobody' is a devastating thing, to me the more painful, the more shocking thing was 'you're from the worst possible place.' And is your destiny, is that thing that you feel, that you know is part of you, somehow, that you're haunted by, is that your destiny? The idea that choices -- there are things more powerful than blood, as Luke says. That feeling was an important thing to convey for us."

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/24...ne-lineage-choice-star-wars-rise-of-skywalker

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

"One of the themes of the movie is that anyone can be anything regardless of where you're from. I don't know if it resonates for everyone, but I think there are quite a few people who appreciate that idea of not coming from a place that you're particularly excited about or proud of. Though I completely understand 'you're nobody' is a devastating thing, to me the more painful, the more shocking thing was 'you're from the worst possible place.' And is your destiny, is that thing that you feel, that you know is part of you, somehow, that you're haunted by, is that your destiny? The idea that choices -- there are things more powerful than blood, as Luke says. That feeling was an important thing to convey for us."

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/24...ne-lineage-choice-star-wars-rise-of-skywalker

Yeah I get that.. read that already.
It is actually in my nature to include everyone or as many people as I can in things I do.

On that same note. Don’t need to see it in the movies. Especially not in Star Wars movies.
I want to see “the suspend my disbelief” sci-fi stuff. Not motivational speaker and or agenda “stuff”.

Soon, the NFL will give the super bowl loser a pretty participation trophy... a legit 2nd place trophy so people can feel good about losing or not being as good as the winners..... “but you are a winner too”

Come on ...gimme a break.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

That is not how the force works” lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I get that.. read that already.
It is actually in my nature to include everyone or as many people as I can in things I do.

On that same note. Don’t need to see it in the movies. Especially not in Star Wars movies.
I want to see “the suspend my disbelief” sci-fi stuff. Not motivational speaker and or agenda “stuff”.

Soon, the NFL will give the super bowl loser a pretty participation trophy... a legit 2nd place trophy so people can feel good about losing or not being as good as the winners..... “but you are a winner too”

Come on ...gimme a break.

Then that seems why you claim to 'not get it' or 'not understand' the Skywalker connection, you don't want to. If 'participation trophy' is all you got out of inspiring someone to become anything they want to, regardless of standing or bloodline, I'd say it's not Abrams or the movie that has the problem.

timb2

Reaction score
Ok I saw Episode 9 yesterday..

(((SPOILER))

..My grade JJ Abrams did a very good job. He straighten a lot of the mess from The Last Jedi.... He kept the PC crap to a minimum until that kissing scene with that woman that has a dogface (I am sure Kathleen Kennedy needed that). He made Rose go the way of Jar Jar Binks which was a good move because she was annoying. I also was surprised because it seemed Rey & Finn must have had acting lessons because they were awful before. Still didn't like the crotchety Luke Skywalker and glad they didn't make Leia the superhero with the cast of "The View" as her all star team of heroes....Abrams did a good job saving this mess ,but a lot of damage was done. I do believe this is the last movie.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok I saw Episode 9 yesterday..

(((SPOILER))

..My grade JJ Abrams did a very good job. He straighten a lot of the mess from The Last Jedi.... He kept the PC crap to a minimum until that kissing scene with that woman that has a dogface (I am sure Kathleen Kennedy needed that). He made Rose go the way of Jar Jar Binks which was a good move because she was annoying. I also was surprised because it seemed Rey & Finn must have had acting lessons because they were awful before. Still didn't like the crotchety Luke Skywalker and glad they didn't make Leia the superhero with the cast of "The View" as her all star team of heroes....Abrams did a good job saving this mess ,but a lot of damage was done. I do believe this is the last movie.

I thought you "weren't wasting your time and money"?
:facepalm:

That was a short boycott!
:laugh:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Then that seems why you claim to 'not get it' or 'not understand' the Skywalker connection, you don't want to. If 'participation trophy' is all you got out of inspiring someone to become anything they want to, regardless of standing or bloodline, I'd say it's not Abrams or the movie that has the problem.

I’m ok with us not agreeing.

This was an incohesive, Force-manufactured pile of dung.

For the record I went in with an open mind.and really tried to stay on the course,
Every time was nonsense,

The OT was a chemistry experiment that just worked. For many reasons. I won’t go into them because that is not my point.

The PT, while it had issues was the Anakin/Vader timeline. Whether you agreed with direction/acting/actors. Mission accomplished,

This ST was simply made because Disney bought Lucas and had get the billions in the black. Not mad at them for that. I get it.

For me... The Saga ended with Luke in ROTJ.

Now, Lucas talked of treatments for 9 movies way back when.... but THIS was not his vision.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m ok with us not agreeing.

This was an incohesive, Force-manufactured pile of dung.

For the record I went in with an open mind.and really tried to stay on the course,
Every time was nonsense,

The OT was a chemistry experiment that just worked. For many reasons. I won’t go into them because that is not my point.

The PT, while it had issues was the Anakin/Vader timeline. Whether you agreed with direction/acting/actors. Mission accomplished,

This ST was simply made because Disney bought Lucas and had get the billions in the black. Not mad at them for that. I get it.

For me... The Saga ended with Luke in ROTJ.

Now, Lucas talked of treatments for 9 movies way back when.... but THIS was not his vision.

No argument there. This trilogy did not have a cohesive plan. There’s no denying that.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I saw this yesterday. It’s not anything more than what the others were really to me. Couldn’t even tell you the story because it wasn’t more interesting than the moving D-Box I was in. That was fun!!! Ok so check this out...you lift your feet a little off ground...it’s more intense,like you’re just along for the ride. I got stuck between two no fun goobers...blahhhhhh,so I’ll have to rewatch it to really follow along. Of course I was high a kite too with a bag of popcorn and candy and junk in my trunk,asking myself how I could rig a seat like that in your living room? Soooo...