Rising stars, core stars and exiting stage left

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I absolutely agree on Armstrong. He didn't produce anything to be placed where he is.

Crawford needs a paycut.

I just realized Crawford's hit is 10M but his pay is 7.

That said, if he takes one, it's just to be a team player. The team could cut him but he'd get a contract paying him at least 3 years for generally the same average, with the potential of a signing bonus, immediately. Best case is to sign an extension with the Cowboys and take some more money up front.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s a bit rich to have Dorance Armstrong as a “rising star.” He’s done nothing to deserve that. That doesn’t mean he won’t develop, but he’s done nothing.
Yeah I put Armstrong on there more as a prediction than what he’s actually done.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will have to disagree for now. He had a good year this year and can play multiple positions.
And as the team stands now, they need him as guys like Irving went AWOL and Taco hasn't produced.
I don't think the team can go to him and play hardball about his contract.

Sure they can. Nobody is going to overpay him like Dallas has. He's a guy without a true position anyway.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just realized Crawford's hit is 10M but his pay is 7.

That said, if he takes one, it's just to be a team player. The team could cut him but he'd get a contract paying him at least 3 years for generally the same average, with the potential of a signing bonus, immediately. Best case is to sign an extension with the Cowboys and take some more money up front.

Nobody's paying him what Dallas is. He doesn't even have a true playing role.

I hope he signs a reasonable extension, better for him and this team, but it has to be for less money.

And for everyone's sake, get him away from RDE!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Disagree.

Your standards are clearly lower than my own.
I just thing in this league where Kirk Cousins is getting 30 million a year? 7 million for a starting defensive lineman doesn’t seem much. You want to give him the vet minimum? What’s he worth to you?

tm1119

Reaction score
Dorance Armstrong is a rising star and Tyrone Crawford needs to be cut...Guess I was watching something different this year

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just thing in this league where Kirk Cousins is getting 30 million a year? 7 million for a starting defensive lineman doesn’t seem much. You want to give him the vet minimum? What’s he worth to you?

Half of that $7 million. I think $3.5 million a year is the right amount for a non-starter, rotational defensive lineman. That and commit him to what he does best, inside pass rusher, and get him away from RDE.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Half of that $7 million. I think $3.5 million a year is the right amount for a non-starter, rotational defensive lineman. That and commit him to what he does best, inside pass rusher, and get him away from RDE.
But he is a starter here.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dorance Armstrong is a rising star and Tyrone Crawford needs to be cut...Guess I was watching something different this year
You have to look at the future when putting together an NFL roster. What is good today at a certain price will not be tomorrow. Good cap management like done in NE, starts with being a step ahead by cutting a guy a year early rather than a year late.

A 23 year old with upside and a $600k salary can be seen as more valuable over a 30 year old starting to decline who costs $10 mil a season.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
TSmith is fine.......75% of him is still Top 5...... hurry back TFred
Swaim is FA and gone.... Gaithers is still under cheap control for 2 years
DWilson and Irving can go....see ya
RSmith is a JAG...peace unless Jaylon wants him around

I would keep Beasley or Austin.....whoever is cheaper
Hurns and TWill are gone.....too rich for 5-6th recievers
TCrawford is good for one more year..... SLee is gone baby gone

Biggest need is DT and FS
We have over 80m in cap space so money is no object

PLEASE REPLACE LINEHAN AND MARINELLI

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Nobody's paying him what Dallas is. He doesn't even have a true playing role.

I hope he signs a reasonable extension, better for him and this team, but it has to be for less money.

And for everyone's sake, get him away from RDE!

Vinny Curry is a guy who refused to take a paycut from the Eagles and was able to get a 3 year, 7M/year deal from the buccaneers.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Best case you sign Crawford to an extention for another year on his contract, give him some more up front money, but lower his cap value. See if he bites. Not sure what his feelings toward the organization are.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
As we begin to sift through the end of this season and look forward to next season, here’s an early assessment of our roster for next year. Who’s a rising star, who the core is and who will probably be leaving.

Rising Stars (young stars still rising)
1. Leighton Vander Esch- he’s 21 and maybe the cornerstone of a great D for years to come.
2. Michael Gallup- came on like gangbusters late in season. He's a solid #2 receiver and still improving.
3. Jaylon Smith- became what we hoped he would be and he’s still getting better.
4. Amari Cooper- can’t believe he’s just 24. A stud we must sign.
5. Dorrance Armstrong- a surprisingly good 4th rounder who I think will emerge as a possible starter in 2019.

Faithful Core Stars (Players the team is committed to and built around)
1. Ezekiel Elliott- best player on the team
2. DeMarcus Law-sign the man
3. Dak Prescott- he needs a lot of coaching, and yes, he’s not great. But you can win with him.
4. Zack Martin- best G in NFL
5. Byron Jones- now a star at CB- can we keep him?
6. Travis Frederick- best C in NFL before Barre Syndrome afflicted him- is he still great?
7. Chidobe Awuzie- emerged this year. Solid if not spectacular.
8. Amari Cooper- I listed him above as a rising star because he’s 24, but he’s also part of the core.

Exiting Stage Left-(Players we will say goodbye to in 2019)
1. Cole Beasley- he’s not a top 25 WR in this league and will be 30.
2. Sean Lee- Once the cornerstone of the defense, he can no longer be counted on because of injuries.
3. Damien Wilson- decent LB and ST player who can be replaced in draft for less money.
4. Tyrone Crawford- solid player who’s been a leader. But he’s too expensive and often injured.
5. David Irving- you can’t fix crazy.
6. Brett Maher- anytime the word “unreliable” is associated with a K....
7. Tavon Austin- too expensive, too fragile.
8. Rico “the Legend” Gathers- the future HOFer can’t catch a cold or remember plays.
9. Terrance Williams- who?

Question Marks
1. Tyron Smith- the back injury won’t get better and now has knee and elbow problems. Is he in free fall?
2. Allen Hurns- even before his gruesome injury, he was underwhelming.
3. Geoff Swaim- decent but often hurt
4. Taco Charleton- the bust term is creeping in
5. Randy Gregory- showed flashes of brilliance but is always one drug test away from a ban
6. Blake Jarwin- came on at the end of year. But is he really that good?
7. Jourdan Lewis- is he trade bait or a keeper if we can’t keep Byron Jones?

Who’s on your list? You can’t keep everyone.
Good job Bob.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vinny Curry is a guy who refused to take a paycut from the Eagles and was able to get a 3 year, 7M/year deal from the buccaneers.

And has proven to be a huge mistake for the Buccaneers as well. The Eagles made the right decision, Tampa Bay the wrong one.

Tyrone Crawford is Jack Crawford. A nice, try-hard rotational lineman. In fact they both put up similar numbers this year. Other than the fact that one costs less than 1/3 of what the other does.