Rising stars, core stars and exiting stage left

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I think Gregory showed some stability and some flashes of being a very good player.

We will keep him and we should.

I’ll add Irving. As mad as he makes us fans he has talent and will be given more chances.

tm1119

Reaction score
You have to look at the future when putting together an NFL roster. What is good today at a certain price will not be tomorrow. Good cap management like done in NE, starts with being a step ahead by cutting a guy a year early rather than a year late.

A 23 year old with upside and a $600k salary is often kept over a 30 year old starting to decline who costs $10 mil a season.

Tyrone Crawford gets paid like an above average D lineman...which is what he is. If you let him go he needs to be replaced and we won’t find/spend on a starting quality DT (that can also play DE) in free agency. So what’s your alternative? Replace Crawford with a 4th round rookie? Armstrong showed no signs of being a rising star and also can’t play DT.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Best case you sign Crawford to an extention for another year on his contract, give him some more up front money, but lower his cap value. See if he bites. Not sure what his feelings toward the organization are.

I'll tell you what it should be? Gratitude. Undying gratitude. Because they've overpaid him for years and nobody else ever would have. And if his attitude is anything else? Goodbye!

He's had the leverage in his contract for years up until this point, now it's reversed. He can sign a reasonable extension at a reduced rate or he can uproot his life after all these years and hope some other team is dumb enough to overpay a player without a true position.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
And has proven to be a huge mistake for the Buccaneers as well. The Eagles made the right decision, Tampa Bay the wrong one.

Tyrone Crawford is Jack Crawford. A nice, try-hard rotational lineman. In fact they both put up similar numbers this year. Other than the fact that one costs less than 1/3 of what the other does.

I think Jack actually had more TFL than Tyrone TBH.

Look I don't disagree with your premise, I wish he cost less in cap space, but I'm not going to divest of him without a strong backup plan of replacement just to save some money (of which I have plenty of, cap wise).

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tyrone Crawford gets paid like an above average D lineman...which is what he is. If you let him go he needs to be replaced and we won’t find/spend on a starting quality DT (that can also play DE) in free agency. So what’s your alternative? Replace Crawford with a 4th round rookie? Armstrong showed no signs of being a rising star and also can’t play DT.
I agree that Armstrong isn’t Crawford and I agree that Armstrong is not even yet a rising star. I’m just making the point that as much as I like Crawford, I think he’s too expensive for our cap. My D Armstrong point was more a projection than actually what he is now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Gregory showed some stability and some flashes of being a very good player.

We will keep him and we should.

I’ll add Irving. As mad as he makes us fans he has talent and will be given more chances.

Irving won't be getting more chances in Dallas. He did as poorly as he possibly could have.

And with his looming suspensions? I don't think he ever gets another chance. He'll realize his missed opportunities far too late.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I agree that Armstrong isn’t Crawford and I agree that Armstrong is not even yet a rising star. I’m just making the point that as much as I like Crawford, I think he’s too expensive for our cap.

Gotta retool his contract in the off-season. Crawford's talent level is barely above JAG, which would be fine if Woods were more consistent and Collins could stay healthy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Jack actually had more TFL than Tyrone TBH.

Look I don't disagree with your premise, I wish he cost less in cap space, but I'm not going to divest of him without a strong backup plan of replacement just to save some money (of which I have plenty of, cap wise).

Just because you have cap money doesn't mean you should waste cap money. Cutting Crawford or at least reducing his cap hit could mean the difference between signing an Earl Thomas and not signing an Earl Thomas.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Just because you have cap money doesn't mean you should waste cap money. Cutting Crawford or at least reducing his cap hit could mean the difference between signing an Earl Thomas and not signing an Earl Thomas.

Pass on 30 year old locker room cancer on 1 leg.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score

We have the resource to have both. You may feel Crawford is overpaid for his production, but I'm not comfortable in replacing his production from anyone else on the roster, or hoping a second round pick or worse will do so.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have the resource to have both. You may feel Crawford is overpaid for his production, but I'm not comfortable in replacing his production from anyone else on the roster, or hoping a second round pick or worse will do so.

What is it that Crawford actually produces that would be so hard to replace for you? You said yourself that Jack Crawford put up better numbers for less than 1/3 the cost?

tm1119

Reaction score
I agree that Armstrong isn’t Crawford and I agree that Armstrong is not even yet a rising star. I’m just making the point that as much as I like Crawford, I think he’s too expensive for our cap. My D Armstrong point was more a projection than actually what he is now.

We have $60M in cap space coming up, haven’t drafted a true DT inside the 1st 4 rounds in forever, and we have a front office that doesn’t believe in signing free agents....we don’t need to cut guys that play significant snaps for cap space. If Armstrong was a DT and Crawford was taking away snaps I could see your point, but to me you’re idea of cutting Crawford is just saving Jerry a few million he doesn’t need. Crawford is set to make 9.1M in 2019 and there’s 4.2M in dead cap space if we cut him. Not worth it.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I would only cut TCrawford and save his 7m if we are going to sign a War Daddy at DT

MCollins, AWoods and Ross provide decent Depth at DT...... we would need a FA and a Draft pick

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would only cut TCrawford and save his 7m if we are going to sign a War Daddy at DT

MCollins, AWoods and Ross provide decent Depth at DT...... we would need a FA and a Draft pick

What's your opinion on Sheldon Richardson at the $8 million he signed for with Minnesota last year?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He plays end and 3t for us and if they don’t improve that bunch he’s going to be doing it again.

You said "starts". I know he "plays", but I also know he's not a true "starter". And I think that you do as well.

His name should be Jack Crawford, because he's a jack of all trades, master of none. The epitome of a rotational guy who's sadly paid starters money.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He plays end and 3t for us and if they don’t improve that bunch he’s going to be doing it again.

I'll pose the same question to you.

Which would you prefer, paying Crawford again for 2019, or signing Sheldon Richardson for $8 million a year or less?

It's no contest for me.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You said "starts". I know he "plays", but I also know he's not a true "starter". And I think that you do as well.

His name should be Jack Crawford, because he's a jack of all trades, master of none. The epitome of a rotational guy who's sadly paid starters money.
He started every game he played in.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He started every game he played in.

Technically? Sure. He was on the field for the first snap.

Actually? He's a rotation guy.

You know it and I know it. You just can't seem to bring yourself to admit the obvious.