Twitter: Rivera on McCarthy’s winning claim, “I think it’s a mistake”

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Then why do you think he picked this game to come out with a guarantee ? Not last week or the week before, etc.

Does he sense the weight of this game ? Or is he concerned his team needs this motivation?
Thoughts ??

I think he sees the final month as an important month. I don't think it is so much this game but this time of the year where top teams make a big push and start playing to a higher level. Personally I feel good about this team and I think they will finish strong. I'm sorry I don't see negatives in everything that is said.

LittleD

Reaction score
More ammo for Rivera and the WFT if they needed any more. The Cowboys better tighten up their panties cause WFT will be bringing the heat. Dak better invest some of his largess in some skates.
Refs are shinning up their flags right now.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
You already know his answer to your question lol....its going to be something negative about the Cowboys lol

The perspective of those who have a problem with what McCarthy said is that he should have stayed quiet or said nothing or given whatever type of polite, complementary coach speech they felt like he should have given to the WFT. They say he should have just let his team do the talking on the field, but don't use the same logic with Rivera, to say that Rivera should have just ignored the question about McCarthy or say something nice about the Cowboys or just say nothing at all.

Or they wanted him to say that he expects his team to lose on Sunday and that he has no faith in his players ability to win the game. Or do they think he was suppose to give some sort of timid type of answer, making people believe that he has no confidence or faith in his team. Because of he did give some sort of timid answer, then that would be spun as him doubting his players and the media/fans would make a big deal out of that as well.

I think some of the main ones who are bothered and irritated by what McCarthy said, are some of the more negative or pessimistic Cowboys fans, so they expect the team to reflect and show how they feel and cower in a corner, acting like they are afraid of the WFT or believing they have no chance against the WFT. Some of the fans who had a problem with this, are the ones who picked the WFT to beat the Cowboys before McCarthy even said anything. So why are they acting like what McCarthy said makes a difference in the outcome of a game some of them have already decided will go in the favor of the WFT?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Oh lord.... enough of the bulletin board or let's be anonymous drama. It's a game, enjoy it.

He didn't pull a Jimmy Johnson and throw up 3-inch headlines, he's just confident a team with all its players and coaches coming back will once again be that 7-2 team we saw not too long ago.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think he sees the final month as an important month. I don't think it is so much this game but this time of the year where top teams make a big push and start playing to a higher level. Personally I feel good about this team and I think they will finish strong. I'm sorry I don't see negatives in everything that is said.
Doesn’t have to be negative to be objective with questions and concerns . I felt good about this team too until the last month. Perhaps our HC felt the team needed it at this moment cause he’s had some concerns too.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Doesn’t have to be negative to be objective with questions and concerns . I felt good about this team too until the last month. Perhaps our HC felt the team needed it at this moment cause he’s had some concerns too.

I think you are making way too much of this. McCarthy said what he said, end of story. If you feel the need to fret over it be my guest.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
If the only way you can get confidence is having your head coach publicly guarantee a win then there's more problems with this team then we like to think.

You guys think this stuff is cool, while I find it corny. You shouldn't need to get up when you're playing a divisional rival.

If we lose then what? How's that gonna be for the ole' "confidence". It's better to just keep quiet and do your job instead of opening your mouth and getting embarrassed.

Or the WFT shouldn't need McCarthy saying that he believes his team is going to win in order to get up for a game, which I'm sure that they were up for before McCarthy even said anything. Now it can be said that Rivera just added "Bulletin board" material for Cowboys players. Will you come around and have the same feelings for Rivera and say that he should have kept his mouth shut, if the Football team loses on Sunday?

If we win then what? You still would have had the Cowboys losing to the WFT even if McCarthy stayed quiet.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score

Could Rivera saying that McCarthy made a mistake, be spun as him believing that the WFT are going to make the Cowboys pay and therefore in his own way Rivera just either guaranteed a win or showed confidence in his team?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's a lot of difference between making a "guarantee" and simply expressing one's belief or opinion. Nobody made any "guarantee," including Mike McCarthy. All of this so-called "guarantee" was a media-driven misrepresentation of what was said. This needless banter is just a childish fuss over what was said by the media. The upcoming game will be settled on the field, regardless of the words expressed beforehand by a third-party wanting clicks.

Last edited:

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
More ammo for Rivera and the WFT if they needed any more. The Cowboys better tighten up their panties cause WFT will be bringing the heat. Dak better invest some of his largess in some skates.

Are you scared?

Jipper

Reaction score
and you will be back here next year and the year after and....

yes i will be, because i am a fan of the team, what's your point?

Mine is that I believe the culture is changing and were at an inflection point.

Win, lose i will be here - but believing that we are turning the corner for the first time in a few decades is something i haven't felt in some time.

blueblood70

Reaction score
yes i will be, because i am a fan of the team, what's your point?

Mine is that I believe the culture is changing and were at an inflection point.

Win, lose i will be here - but believing that we are turning the corner for the first time in a few decades is something i haven't felt in some time.
the team is for sure at a Precipice....

their next 5 games shows which direction , do they fall or ascend.:confused::popcorn:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Or the WFT shouldn't need McCarthy saying that he believes his team is going to win in order to get up for a game, which I'm sure that they were up for before McCarthy even said anything. Now it can be said that Rivera just added "Bulletin board" material for Cowboys players. Will you come around and have the same feelings for Rivera and say that he should have kept his mouth shut, if the Football team loses on Sunday?

If we win then what? You still would have had the Cowboys losing to the WFT even if McCarthy stayed quiet.
Who says WFT needed that?

I don't care about the WFT or Rivera. I only care when my coach says dumb things in the media.

You say it's going to give the team confidence, maybe it does, but if we lose after that then it could have a very bad effect on the team because they will be blasted in the media even more than they would have been since there is a win guarantee out there now.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The homers think it’s cool. Not everyone.

I think this game is bigger than most want to admit.
Its a big game but if they lose it surely isn't the end of the season....at some point you want to see this team peaking in the right direction. To see a loss here would be unfortunate.....

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This game is huge for both teams........ WFT's four-game streak is at stake. A loss to us Sunday would all but bury their playoff chances. Don't think for a second this wasn't part MM "we will this game" gamesmanship.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
WFT knows the deal. They know how important this game is to them. There was no way we were going into this game and getting a underachieving WFT unit. We were going to get their best so might as well embrace it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This game is huge for both teams........ WFT's four-game streak is at stake. A loss to us Sunday would all but bury their playoff chances. Don't think for a second this wasn't part MM "we will this game" gamesmanship.

How would their playoff chances be buried? For the division for sure but they'd still be in play for a wild card won't they?

Carson

Reaction score
Its a big game but if they lose it surely isn't the end of the season....at some point you want to see this team peaking in the right direction. To see a loss here would be unfortunate.....
A loss is unfortunate but not detrimental.

WFT plays @ Philly than @ Dallas.

We play a banged up New York team and should get back on track.

But to keep it simple, just win.