Twitter: Rivera on McCarthy’s winning claim, “I think it’s a mistake”

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because he wanted to, he is not trying to get your attention he is getting the attention of his ball club. He has a better feel for this team and his players than anyone. He said what he said, if Washington does not like it too bad same for fans.
I understand but my question is why did he think this was the game or situation that this team needed that?
Does he have some concerns ?

tomsanders921

Reaction score
This is a non story. It's not like the skins are playing for nothing. They are already motivated to get back in the division race.

Everyone is blowing this out of proportion to get clicks and viewers. Analysts are talking about it non stop now.

The coach said he expects to win the game. And expects to win all games. Big deal.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we lose ,then we get them 2 weeks later..and a lot can happen in those two weeks..we get the Giants and they get Philly..we beat the Giants and Philly beats the skins..we're right back to where we started..plus we get them at home..
If we lose Sunday , it’s going to be a dumpster fire. And probably why McCarthy felt this was the time he needed to come out publicly with such a claim.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I believe if guarantee a win then you should put your job on the line.

Should Rivera lose his for saying that McCarthy made a big mistake. but then have the WFT lose the game and turns out that McCarthy didn't make a "big mistake" at all?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If his players don't step up after guaranteeing a win then they have no respect for him anyways.

So, yeah, put your money where your big mouth is.
And what if his player step up and the Commanders players step up and they lose? Ehh...I guess its rhetorical I already know what your answer is lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's a mistake because I think it makes THIS game the height of our season. We win it...we will win the division. The problem with this is as follows: winning THIS division should NOT be our crowning achievement this season, and somehow the last 25+ years have conditioned us to think making the playoffs is enough.

This division is terrible. We should win this with our eyes closed. Our goals should be much loftier than this. We should NOT get to high when we win....we should NOT get to low when we lose. This strategy of trying to instill confidence in THIS team in THIS particular situation should have been reserved for the postseason.
We aren't conditioned that winning the division is enough....its just a reality. We haven't even won the division that much in the past 25 years to begin with.. division being "Terrible" or not doesn't matter. Divisional games are still tough.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Don't get your hopes up.

They need show it and stop talking about it.

The difference between you and them is that McCarthy and the team has confidence that they can beat the Football team. Having the "We have no chance" mentality and attitude that some Cowboys fans have about this game, isn't going to help them win the game and will have them defeated before they even play. I'd rather the team go into the game with confidence and not listen to those who believe they should dictate their behavior and what they say off of being afraid of the WFT or thinking that they have no chance against the WFT.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because I think he sees this final 5 game run is very important starting with Washington. I think no one knows the pulse of a team better than the HC
I agree. And why this concerns me . He must feel this team needs this guarantee to motivate them as he doesn’t feel a good vibe.

Is he going to guarantee the rest of the games ?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Should Rivera lose his for saying that McCarthy made a big mistake. but then have the WFT lose the game and turns out that McCarthy didn't make a "big mistake" at all?
I don't really care what Washington does with Rivera if they win or lose.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can't say that I feel that way.
Then why do you think he picked this game to come out with a guarantee ? Not last week or the week before, etc.

Does he sense the weight of this game ? Or is he concerned his team needs this motivation?
Thoughts ??

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
The difference between you and them is that McCarthy and the team has confidence that they can beat the Football team. Having the "We have no chance" mentality and attitude that some Cowboys fans have about this game, isn't going to help them win the game and will have them defeated before they even play. I'd rather the team go into the game with confidence and not listen to those who believe they should dictate their behavior and what they say off of being afraid of the WFT or thinking that they have no chance against the WFT.
If the only way you can get confidence is having your head coach publicly guarantee a win then there's more problems with this team then we like to think.

You guys think this stuff is cool, while I find it corny. You shouldn't need to get up when you're playing a divisional rival.

If we lose then what? How's that gonna be for the ole' "confidence". It's better to just keep quiet and do your job instead of opening your mouth and getting embarrassed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Now they’ve both put up “bulletin board material”.
I totally agree. McCarthy has made it about him.

I think McCarthy sees this as his job is on the line. If Cowboys lose this the season could blow up and his job is at risk.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If the only way you can get confidence is having your head coach publicly guarantee a win then there's more problems with this team then we like to think.

You guys think this stuff is cool, while I find it corny. You shouldn't need to get up when you're playing a divisional rival.

If we lose then what? How's that gonna be for the ole' "confidence". It's better to just keep quiet and do your job instead of opening your mouth and getting embarrassed.
The homers think it’s cool. Not everyone.

I think this game is bigger than most want to admit.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
or better yet say we are screwed and will lose..im unconfident about Sunday and believe we will lose LOL

he guaranteed nothing , he simply said he feels lie they will go out and win, im very confident about that..

thats not being cocky or guaranteeing anything , he simply feels like they are ready to play and have good shot at winning. Why not..

media is all about clicks on websites etc as that revenue for them. They could care less if they massage intent of what someone really said or reshape the words to fit a narrative,

what if he said “ we are going to kick their A “. Would that satisfy the spin masters.or be a hate crime? Major sarcasm intended