Rob Phillips - What's Next for TE?

aria

Reaction score
There's not a single defensive player worth picking at 10. Not even close.

I'd go TE, OT, or WR long before I went defense in this draft. The "we need to take a defensive player" is how you end up with Taco.
Lol, yeah, let’s draft another WR. :lmao2: Maybe next year we can use a top 10 pick on another RB.

aria

Reaction score
If some how Sewell was still there (he won’t be) that’s the only offensive player I would pick in the first. Pitts will be great IMO but the last thing we need is more offense. Not to mention, CB is a much more expensive position to pay, GL finding a good corner in FA that we can afford. Our LB’ers also suck, cut Jaylon and draft Parsons if he’s there.

Hardline

Reaction score
Well thankfully that’s worked out well for us so far. What happens if we draft Pitts, zeke gets let go in the off season, we draft #7 next year and the BPA is a RB?

You can’t keep ignoring defense, our offense is loaded already and WR/TE would be the least of our needs on offense anyways. Not to mention, Farley/Parsons/Surtain and maybe even Horn are hardly reaches on defense.
You have a chance to get an elite talent.
Never pass up elite talent.
There are RBs in this draft that could put Zeke on the bench tomorrow.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If some how Sewell was still there (he won’t be) that’s the only offensive player I would pick in the first. Pitts will be great IMO but the last thing we need is more offense. Not to mention, CB is a much more expensive position to pay, GL finding a good corner in FA that we can afford. Our LB’ers also suck, cut Jaylon and draft Parsons if he’s there.

Exactly! We can't keep ignoring defence. We literally just saw in the Super Bowl why you need a defence. I get that Pitts is good, but, unless you trade down (and I want a trade down) that gets you great picks, I'm not taking Pitts.

aria

Reaction score
You have a chance to get an elite talent.
Never pass up elite talent.
There are RBs in this draft that could put Zeke on the bench tomorrow.
Ok, and what happens if we have another top 10 pick next year and it’s another elite TE? Not to mention, there’s no guarantee Pitts will be anymore elite than Parsons, Farley or Surtain. There are very real concerns with Pitts being able to block as a TE and we can only put so many WR’s on the field at once. Essentially we will have spent the last 3 1st round picks on a WR/WR hybrid. That’s asinine considering how bad our defense is and how good our offense has been with a healthy Dak.

Drafting Pitts is exactly why BPA is dumb as hell unless it’s a position of need which neither WR or TE are.

When Dak has been healthy we’ve had one of the best offenses in the league, if not the best, almost every year and that was without Lamb.

At what point do you address through the draft the entire reason we can’t get to the post season?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I guess if we draft Pitts we will be hearing "fortyburger" again.

How'd that all go?

Problem is there's only one football.

I like Jarwin and want him around, but at 8m per year they may have to look at spending that elsewhere...like defense. Not sure of the deal structure. Knowing Jerry it's fully guaranteed when he was bidding against himself.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I guess if we draft Pitts we will be hearing "fortyburger" again.

How'd that all go?

Problem is there's only one football.

I like Jarwin and want him around, but at 8m per year they may have to look at spending that elsewhere...like defense. Not sure of the deal structure. Knowing Jerry it's fully guaranteed when he was bidding against himself.

I don't want Pitts either. We need to fix the defence.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
With this defence? Heck no! We need defence at 10, and the likes of Farley, Parsons, Horn, Surtain, and Barrmore negate the drafting of Pitts. We don't need an elite TE position. We need to get this defence to stop being terrible.

The Dallas Jerry’s are on the Big 12 plan - where defense is optional.

exciter

Reaction score
There's not a single defensive player worth picking at 10. Not even close.

I'd go TE, OT, or WR long before I went defense in this draft. The "we need to take a defensive player" is how you end up with Taco.
Lol ok!

Cmac

Reaction score
It's simple.....let them compete. Schultz is more possession and Jarwin compliments that with being able to get downfield. Nothing to mess up.....unless JWitt suddenly decides a return.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
There aren't. Parsons is an off-ball LB who certainly has flaws to his game and there hasn't been a corner drafted in the top 10 in the last decade who was worth the investment...hardly even any in the top 20. Here's all of the top-20 corners dating back to 2010, bold is top 10.

2010: Joe Haden, Kareem Jackson
2011: Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara
2012: Morris Claiborne, Stephon Gilmore, Dre Kirkpatrick
2013: Dee Milliner, DJ Hayden
2014: Justin Gilbert, Kyle Fuller\
2015: Trae Waynes, Kevin Johnson, Marcus Peters
2016: Jalen Ramsey, Eli Apple, Vernon Hargreaves
2017: Marshon Lattimore, Marlon Humphrey, Adoree Jackson
2018: Denzel Ward, Jaire Alexander
2020: Jeff Okudah, CJ Henderson, AJ Terrell, Damon Arnette

The hit rate of a guy being worth a top-10 pick at corner is what, 10%?

Last edited:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Exactly! We can't keep ignoring defence. We literally just saw in the Super Bowl why you need a defence. I get that Pitts is good, but, unless you trade down (and I want a trade down) that gets you great picks, I'm not taking Pitts.
We saw in the Super Bowl why you need to invest premium resources on the offensive line. That is literally the only lesson to take from that.

The Bucs pass defense was entirely average all year. It's no coincidence that they didn't get better until they played OLs missing half their starters.