Roger Goodell needs to be fired. Kraft and Brady need to make it happen

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I look at it like a speeding. Most us of will speed but we don't get a ticket until we get caught. He got caught and when asked for cell phone to see the text and emails he refused. That was his right to do so the league can't force him but they are correct in saying he was uncooperative and based on what they do know Brady will be serving 4 games. He said he had nothing to do with it, I would gladly turn my cell phone into the league to show them I had nothing to do with it.

It isn't speeding. Speeding isn't cheating. What Brady did was an intentional attempt to gain an illegal advantage.

Most of us speed, but most won't cheat in their local poker game or softball game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It isn't speeding. Speeding isn't cheating. What Brady did was an intentional attempt to gain an illegal advantage.

Most of us speed, but most won't cheat in their local poker game or softball game.

Speeding is breaking the rules, which is what I was getting at. I actually do not think the rule makes a big difference, after all 2nd half of the game is when the Pats got things going and won but that was with a legal ball.
However the fact they broke the rule to begin with was wrong and should have to pay the price for it.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Speeding is breaking the rules, which is what I was getting at. I actually do not think the rule makes a big difference, after all 2nd half of the game is when the Pats got things going and won but that was with a legal ball.
However the fact they broke the rule to begin with was wrong and should have to pay the price for it.

Agreed. A lot of people point to the AFCCG result as proof it wasn't a big deal. And in that game it wasn't. However, that doesn't mean it couldn't be a big deal. If a deflated ball helped prevent one fumble or allowed a receiver to catch the ball better, or Brady to make a better throw, and that play was the difference in a close game, then their could be a domino effect that was huge. Maybe the Patriots miss out on Home Field or a Bye and because they have to travel they get knocked out early in the playoffs. Then we have a whole new SB champion. If this only occurred once in a blowout game, it's still just as bad as if it was in a nail biter. Rules have to be followed. It's even worse if this was a repeated offense and part of a pattern of behavior.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Agreed. A lot of people point to the AFCCG result as proof it wasn't a big deal. And in that game it wasn't. However, that doesn't mean it couldn't be a big deal. If a deflated ball helped prevent one fumble or allowed a receiver to catch the ball better, or Brady to make a better throw, and that play was the difference in a close game, then their could be a domino effect that was huge. Maybe the Patriots miss out on Home Field or a Bye and because they have to travel they get knocked out early in the playoffs. Then we have a whole new SB champion. If this only occurred once in a blowout game, it's still just as bad as if it was in a nail biter. Rules have to be followed. It's even worse if this was a repeated offense and part of a pattern of behavior.

I agree until or unless the league determines to change the rule. I have heard different arguments pro and con about the effectiveness of over and under inflating a ball. In the end the rules on the books should be followed by all 32 teams, no exceptions. Either all teams can do it or no team can do it

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

If it wasn't a big deal why go through all this to do it?

The intent was to cheat to gain an advantage. Whether they actually gained an advantage or not is hard to judge. The mere fact they did it might give them a mental edge, similar to the placebo effect. But cheating is cheating and can never be tolerated.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
How do we know they didn't cheat in the Baltimore game? That game was close. I doubt the Colts game was the first time they did this.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
How do we know they didn't cheat in the Baltimore game? That game was close. I doubt the Colts game was the first time they did this.

Exactly. If anyone thinks that the Colts game was the only time the Patriots deflated balls (because that's where they were "caught"), they're being naive.

You don't start experimenting with deflating balls in the playoffs. You can bet that if this did in fact go down, it was "perfected" over time (maybe the season, maybe longer).

Kevinicus

Reaction score

I had heard, but don't know how true it is, that Baltimore tipped off the Colts.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Pats should not have cheated. Teams and players do not determine what rules they will play by and which ones they will ignore. Goodell did his job, Pats were completely in the wrong

New team photo

1297607180796_ORIGINAL.jpg

Plankton

Reaction score
Not many cared for Rozelle, Tagliabue and now Goodell. The position they held or currently hold tends to get people not liking them much.

David Stern was booed at every NBA Draft. Gary Bettman is booed at every Stanley Cup Trophy presentation. Bud Selig was booed just for being Bud.

Goodell is not alone here. He is a complete hack, though, when it comes to discipline, and a little too focused on expanding the owner's profits irrespective of the wants of the fans or players.

But, that's what the owners want, so that's what he does.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
David Stern was booed at every NBA Draft. Gary Bettman is booed at every Stanley Cup Trophy presentation. Bud Selig was booed just for being Bud.

Goodell is not alone here. He is a complete hack, though, when it comes to discipline, and a little too focused on expanding the owner's profits irrespective of the wants of the fans or players.

I always said that I Like his vision, but he should not be the principal of the school. Let someone else be in charge of that. A Human Resources department.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Yes he works for the owners as do all the commissioners do. It is the owners who vote on them, players do not have a vote or the fans. There are things that I do not agree with him or the league on but agree on other issues.

I think he mishandled the Ray Rice situation when he came down at 1st with a slap on the wrist punishment and once the public outrage surfaced then did a complete 180, then subsequent issue with AP and now Hardy is a continuation of that. The rule has now been stiffened for Domestic Violence and I'm glad it is but the current players should be held to rules at the time of their situation.

Overall I don't expect 1 set punishment for breaking of league rules, I think mitigating circumstances should allow some leeway in determining any and all punishment handed down.
Very few cases of player misconduct are exactly the same and all circumstances should be taken into account. I think there should be a minimum and maximum punishment for player misconduct

A few years back some players went to Goodell about cleaning up the image of the NFL including our own Jason Witten. I agreed with those players then and I agree now.

Plankton

Reaction score
Yes he works for the owners as do all the commissioners do. It is the owners who vote on them, players do not have a vote or the fans. There are things that I do not agree with him or the league on but agree on other issues.

I think he mishandled the Ray Rice situation when he came down at 1st with a slap on the wrist punishment and once the public outrage surfaced then did a complete 180, then subsequent issue with AP and now Hardy is a continuation of that. The rule has now been stiffened for Domestic Violence and I'm glad it is but the current players should be held to rules at the time of their situation.

Overall I don't expect 1 set punishment for breaking of league rules, I think mitigating circumstances should allow some leeway in determining any and all punishment handed down.
Very few cases of player misconduct are exactly the same and all circumstances should be taken into account. I think there should be a minimum and maximum punishment for player misconduct

A few years back some players went to Goodell about cleaning up the image of the NFL including our own Jason Witten. I agreed with those players then and I agree now.

I have no problem with looking to clean up the image of the league. It's just that he has absolutely no concept about setting limits for progressive discipline, and he seems to be very random in his application of said discipline.

I also think he speaks with forked tongue about player safety, and then adding Thursday night games and pursuing an 18 game schedule. The owners are driving some of it, but he looks like a fool discussing player safety when he's pursuing a schedule that flies in the face of his commitment to player safety.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no problem with looking to clean up the image of the league. It's just that he has absolutely no concept about setting limits for progressive discipline, and he seems to be very random in his application of said discipline.

I also think he speaks with forked tongue about player safety, and then adding Thursday night games and pursuing an 18 game schedule. The owners are driving some of it, but he looks like a fool discussing player safety when he's pursuing a schedule that flies in the face of his commitment to player safety.

again I don't think 2 situation are 100% the same and I think circumstances involved should enter into punishment.

As for increasing games I agree but it is the owners more than his office, it is his job to represent the will of the owners. Thursday Night game I'm in favor of just as I was in favor of MNF when the league brought that into being. I think league has gone above and beyond when it comes to players safety, if anything my biggest fear is the game will change to much that it will not be worth watching.
Football is a game where injuries are going to happen, it is a choice by the player himself as to playing the game or not.

Like other dangerous professions, you can give a fire fighter all the safety equipment you can think of but the job can cost your life and they do it for a lot less of a price tag that athletes to play a game

Aven8

Reaction score
He's in charge of a business. A big one. With all the hooligans in the NFL what choice does he have?

He makes strange decisions, but when I hear him speak, etc he seems really genuine. We just hate it because we've had a few of those hooligans play for us! ;)

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

The thing is that he handled the Rice case correctly according to the letter of the law. The courts have ruled he should have only got 2 games. But he lost the PR battle.

He took a big hit personally when the tape came out and he decided to not be lenient again. He would rather be overruled in Court than look soft on DV. That is why Peterson and Hardy had to pay such a large price.

Goodell should have used all the attention to announce the new, harsh policy but he should have made it clear that Rice, Hardy and Peterson had to be judged by the old rules. His hands were tied but the rhetoric could still be harsh. All 3 would have been back last Oct by the latest and the League could move on.

There will always be more cases to show hard strict the new policy is.