Roger Goodell needs to be fired. Kraft and Brady need to make it happen

jrumann59

Reaction score
I am sorry but in the grand scheme of football, integrity in a watched sport like the NFL/NHL/NBA/MLB is sacrosanct. The minute the majority of the fans realize games are fixed or officials are looking the other way on cheating the sports will suffer the most horrible penalty a loss in revenue. My FB has been blown up about Brady got 4 Games but women beaters are worse and get 4 games how is that fair. Integrity of the game violations hang over the league longer than some player that hit his wife, that is why the penalty is just as harsh.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I am sorry but in the grand scheme of football, integrity in a watched sport like the NFL/NHL/NBA/MLB is sacrosanct. The minute the majority of the fans realize games are fixed or officials are looking the other way on cheating the sports will suffer the most horrible penalty a loss in revenue. My FB has been blown up about Brady got 4 Games but women beaters are worse and get 4 games how is that fair. Integrity of the game violations hang over the league longer than some player that hit his wife, that is why the penalty is just as harsh.

Like the Black Sox scandel that baseball had to handle back in 1919.

The Black Sox Scandal took place during the play of the 1919 World Series. The Chicago White Sox lost the series to the Cincinnati Reds, and eight White Sox players were later accused of intentionally losing games in exchange for money from gamblers.
Baseball almost did not recover.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The thing is that he handled the Rice case correctly according to the letter of the law. The courts have ruled he should have only got 2 games. But he lost the PR battle.

He took a big hit personally when the tape came out and he decided to not be lenient again. He would rather be overruled in Court than look soft on DV. That is why Peterson and Hardy had to pay such a large price.

Goodell should have used all the attention to announce the new, harsh policy but he should have made it clear that Rice, Hardy and Peterson had to be judged by the old rules. His hands were tied but the rhetoric could still be harsh. All 3 would have been back last Oct by the latest and the League could move on.

There will always be more cases to show hard strict the new policy is.

Given the video of Rice attacking the woman in elevator and knocking her out cold then dragging her body off the elevator, I think mitigating circumstances was well within common reason, letter of the law my backside. As people love to say this is not a court of law.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Given the video of Rice attacking the woman in elevator and knocking her out cold then dragging her body off the elevator, I think mitigating circumstances was well within common reason, letter of the law my backside. As people love to say this is not a court of law.

The NFL new about the video, even if they didn't, the police reports and other reports were bad enough, in baltimore, here is how it was reported the day after. "Ray Rice allegedly punched his fiance knocking her out and drug from the elevator." I paraphrased a a little but you do not need a video to reinforce how barbaric that was. They got it wrong the first go around and the second go around was spin and damage control.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Good. I'm glad Goodell upheld this.

The guy might need to be fired, I don't know if I agree with that necessarily either, but it certainly isn't because of this.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The NFL new about the video, even if they didn't, the police reports and other reports were bad enough, in baltimore, here is how it was reported the day after. "Ray Rice allegedly punched his fiance knocking her out and drug from the elevator." I paraphrased a a little but you do not need a video to reinforce how barbaric that was. They got it wrong the first go around and the second go around was spin and damage control.

I think how the league office handled it was poor, I do think the video witnessed by the public and how brutal it was caused a major uproar and rightfully so. I also agree they got it wrong but I think new punishment that is now in place is appropriate.

erod

Reaction score
The owners absolutely love the job Goodell is doing. He's going nowhere.

Funny thing is, the law-abiding players have nothing to fear from the guy.

Imagine that.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I think how the league office handled it was poor, I do think the video witnessed by the public and how brutal it was caused a major uproar and rightfully so. I also agree they got it wrong but I think new punishment that is now in place is appropriate.

No I agree they got it right also.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

It's a better sell, but once we get past the PR nightmare we are talking about the difference between 2 and 6 games. Not about a fine and banned for life.

Even the biggest RRice protesters feel he should be able to play again, so we are just talking about a few more games.

The idea that 6 games would have been enough initially means that all the rhetoric is actually pretty empty. "No More" means 6 games.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's a better sell, but once we get past the PR nightmare we are talking about the difference between 2 and 6 games. Not about a fine and banned for life.

Even the biggest RRice protesters feel he should be able to play again, so we are just talking about a few more games.

The idea that 6 games would have been enough initially means that all the rhetoric is actually pretty empty. "No More" means 6 games.

Rice is free to play, no one wants him. This is to me it is not a matter of PR the attack was brutal, he knocked her out cold. If that was my daughter Rice would be a dead man. I don't think he deserves any chance. This was not some slap to the face he out right decked her. I don't care if he has an ability to pay football or not what he did in my eyes was enough to ban him. League is a lot softer than I think many others would be.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Rice is free to play, no one wants him. This is to me it is not a matter of PR the attack was brutal, he knocked her out cold. If that was my daughter Rice would be a dead man. I don't think he deserves any chance. This was not some slap to the face he out right decked her. I don't care if he has an ability to pay football or not what he did in my eyes was enough to ban him. League is a lot softer than I think many others would be.

Just because you saw it doesn't make it worse than dozens of other cases. Drawing the line at RRice is hypocrtical IMO.

Brent, Stallworth and LLittle have killed people and have been allowed to play again.

Janay Rice married Ray so you would make your daughter a widow??? We see how well that worked out for Don Corleone.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Just because you saw it doesn't make it worse than dozens of other cases. Drawing the line at RRice is hypocrtical IMO.

Brent, Stallworth and LLittle have killed people and have been allowed to play again.

Janay Rice married Ray so you would make your daughter a widow??? We see how well that worked out for Don Corleone.

You can feel the way you want, claiming others have done worse as if that makes it all alright not in my book. Again I'm not asking anyone to feel as I do, we each have our own moral compass and frankly I don't think a damn game is that important in the big picture of things.

burmafrd

Reaction score

the eternal defense of the do nothings: EVERYONE ELSE DOES IT SO WHY BOTHER. If you cannot figure out why that is wrong then there is nothing to say to you.