RoMac and Leary are at mini camp

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think it is whining I think this team looked like a joke last season and yes I expect guys to be fired up and ready to prove that last season was a fluke instead we sit and make excuses. Enough already I would hope every player wants a SB more than the fans do. Championship do not happen by luck or accident it starts in the off season. If all others managed to attend then you bet I expect all to attend. Then again maybe winning is not that important to some.

They think it's their job as a fan to minimize each and every issue and to make excuses for them at every turn.

Not in my fan description.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, it's whining! LOL.

The only "whining" I'm seeing is from fans trying and failing to make excuses for poor work ethic and poor results.

This has nothing to do with the results of last season. This is a new season. Embrace the new season and stop looking at the past.

Keep your blinders for yourself.

A player missing voluntary camps to be with his kids, if that's about the only time he can spend with them.

He has 41 days after this camp, show all of us proof that he "can't be with his kinds" during that time or spare us the lame excuse attempts.

That is better than a player that can be there, but chooses not to, because he wants out.
however, both are here, and let's see how they do, what type of shape they are in, especially Ro. He has no excuses this year. No having been off for almost 2 years, no knees being scoped.

Leary actually has more reason for staying away than the 'zero' that McClain has.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As most know I was not thrilled with McClain missing all the OTA and with 41 days after this mini camp that should have been ample time to be with his kids. I'm sorry I think he could arrange things so that he can take care of his family and his obligation. Of course the OTA were not mandatory but given this is a 4-12 team I think it is a bit important that players take this very seriously

I've never liked McClain, and I especially don't like him getting suspended or showing up fat. But if a condition of his employment was that he'd only spend mandatory time with the team and the organization agreed to that, then you can't fault the player for it. This is a guy who's walked away from the game once already. He's very probably just doing what he agreed to when he came to Dallas.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No, it's whining! LOL.

This has nothing to do with the results of last season. This is a new season. Embrace the new season and stop looking at the past.
A player missing voluntary camps to be with his kids, if that's about the only time he can spend with them. That is better than a player that can be there, but chooses not to, because he wants out.
however, both are here, and let's see how they do, what type of shape they are in, especially Ro. He has no excuses this year. No having been off for almost 2 years, no knees being scoped.

it has everything to do with last season. Ro missed 4 games last year because he is stupid, instead of helping this team win he choose to get high and then suspended and he deserves slack for what? What has he done that some how makes him special? In my eye he has not done much. As for his kids he has 41 days after this mini camp to do what he wants but if every other player can manage it then you bet I expect him to be there. Jerry is wrong it cutting slack, this team does not need slack they need a boot to the backside.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I've never liked McClain, and I especially don't like him getting suspended or showing up fat. But if a condition of his employment was that he'd only spend mandatory time with the team and the organization agreed to that, then you can't fault the player for it. This is a guy who's walked away from the game once already. He's very probably just doing what he agreed to when he came to Dallas.

As I said Jerry is wrong in doing that. Jerry is wrong in evidently not sharing this info with Garrett because if he knew he would not have been expecting him for the 2nd or the 3rd OTA. It gets old

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
At least it's over now, and we can get back to business instead of beer gut fans being mad about players missing voluntary workouts. I do wish the league and players would settle this once and for all so it could stop being an issue.

I find some of the thoughts from this 2015 article to be quite pertinent:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...p-demaryius-thomas/1suzvs3brlst611c4ykgtzt7vu

The NFL world seems to have forgotten the definitions of those words, even though the difference between them is explicitly spelled out in the labor agreement that resulted from that lockout. The pressure put on players to attend offseason workouts that are contractually optional, or else, is as entrenched a part of league history as wearing facemasks and lying about concussion symptoms.
The court of public opinion takes the team side almost without fail, so even if (or when) it blows over and the players show up for mandatory minicamp and training camp, it still makes for an offseason full of nagging, nitpicking and message-sending about their work ethic, dedication and value.
In all the heated disagreements between the union and league over Roger Goodell’s power, drug testing and the split of the revenue, it’s practically forgotten that a major priority was changing the offseason calendar to reduce the physical beating players endured. Now there are times players are barred from being in their team facilities, and there are fewer mandatory workouts and more voluntary ones. There are also strict rules about contact, which prompted the union to check out the circumstances around Sean Lee's knee injury in Cowboys' OTAs last year.

The goals: less company time, more free time, and more options for players to choose how they stay in shape and prepare for the grind while resting their bodies, minds and psyches.

It was common sense. It was fair. It challenged the idea that players’ bodies belonged to the organization. And now, it was down on paper.

But violating the spirit of the rules appears to still be fair game. Dropping broad hints about how great it is for players to show up at OTAs, and how damaging it is for players to skip it, is still routine. So is griping about how much better it was for everybody when players didn’t have as much time on their hands to get into trouble, and how there must be some connection between every wave of serious injuries and the forced separation from the facilities. (None has ever been found.)

Another things that beer gut fans tend to forget is that league wide attendance at optional OTAs wouldn't be nearly what it is without the widespread use of workout bonuses as an incentive to attend. Desean Jackson actually walked away from half a million bucks by skipping them... which was his labor negotiated right, not some privilege granted to him by a league who has shown it doesn't give a whit about his health.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He spends time, with permission, with his kids and your making fun of him when he comes back to work? Man, i hope Ro comes in and just destroys offenses so everybody can shut up about it.

You bought that excuse that he wants to spend time with his kids. Its pretty funny that you believe it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
At least it's over now, and we can get back to business instead of beer gut fans being mad about players missing voluntary workouts. I do wish the league and players would settle this once and for all so it could stop being an issue.

I find some of the thoughts from this 2015 article to be quite pertinent:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...p-demaryius-thomas/1suzvs3brlst611c4ykgtzt7vu

Another things that beer gut fans tend to forget is that league wide attendance at optional OTAs wouldn't be nearly what it is without the widespread use of workout bonuses as an incentive to attend. Desean Jackson actually walked away from half a million bucks by skipping them... which was his labor negotiated right, not some privilege granted to him by a league who has shown it doesn't give a whit about his health.

Desean Jackson another RKG eh? :muttley:

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Here he is doing conditioning:

xxNEEub.jpg

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Not defending Mclain, but many divorce decrees stipulate that one parent gets the children for the full summer month of June and the other parent gets the full month of July. Not that this has anything to do with this particular instance. I don't have a clue.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He spends time, with permission, with his kids and your making fun of him when he comes back to work? Man, i hope Ro comes in and just destroys offenses so everybody can shut up about it.

I hope so as well. I hope he can avoid failing another drug test and I hope he grows up so that maybe he can reach his full potential as a player. I hate to see wasted talent

plymkr

Reaction score
Hmmm interesting. Leary and Romac show up the same day. Maybe Leary is Romac's long lost son. The plot thickens

NinePointOh

Reaction score
When its going to hurt them in the wallet they show up. What a great father RO is. :muttley:

I don't get it. Do you actually go to work when your employer requires you to work, or do you stay home with your kids until you get fired? Does not working make someone a better parent?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't get it. Do you actually go to work when your employer requires you to work, or do you stay home with your kids until you get fired? Does not working make someone a better parent?

The excuse that he is with his kids is about as dumb as they come. When someone calls in that they are sick and they really arent what are they going to say?

A. I got drunk and I am too hung over to show up
B. I just dont feel like coming in today
C. My best buddy is coming into town today and we are going to go get drunk

Or

A. I am sick and cant come in
B. My car broke down
C. My dog is sick and I have to bring him to the vet

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
When its going to hurt them in the wallet they show up. What a great father RO is. :muttley:
He didn't show up for the company team building gathering that most of the employees show up to. He showed up when he was required to to do his job that he gets paid for. He had personal business that he had to attend to that he thought was serious. Big screaming deal. The team is over it, fans should get over it too.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
The excuse that he is with his kids is about as dumb as they come.....

You speak from a position of no information. Also, I find it hard to believe someone with kids would think like this. Someone with kids may think it is important to go to work even with some things going on with their kids, but would allow the possibility that something may be important enough to stay home with them.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I just think there should be a sense of urgency considering this team is not coming off a SB, we are coming off a horrendous season of 4-12 after going into that season with high expectations considering the results of 2014.

And if the team was coming off a Superbowl, then it'd be about how he must be fat and happy and doesn't want to stay on top.