RoMac and Leary are at mini camp

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The excuse that he is with his kids is about as dumb as they come. When someone calls in that they are sick and they really arent what are they going to say?

A. I got drunk and I am too hung over to show up
B. I just dont feel like coming in today
C. My best buddy is coming into town today and we are going to go get drunk

Or

A. I am sick and cant come in
B. My car broke down
C. My dog is sick and I have to bring him to the vet

I don't get it. Do you actually go to work when your employer requires you to work, or do you stay home with your kids until you get fired? Does not working make someone a better parent?

You guys are not good at analogies. :laugh:

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Not defending Mclain, but many divorce decrees stipulate that one parent gets the children for the full summer month of June and the other parent gets the full month of July. Not that this has anything to do with this particular instance. I don't have a clue.
And neither does anyone else. The fan crying about him not showing up to workouts he doesn't have to show up to, has become far more annoying than Ro missing the workouts.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You bought that excuse that he wants to spend time with his kids. Its pretty funny that you believe it.

Your beef is with the FO that agreed to give Ro the "slack", not Ro. Jerry has admitted to having this agreement with the man.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't get it. Do you actually go to work when your employer requires you to work, or do you stay home with your kids until you get fired? Does not working make someone a better parent?

There you have it... his employer didn't require him to show up until today. Your beef is with Jerry not Ro.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He didn't show up for the company team building gathering that most of the employees show up to. He showed up when he was required to to do his job that he gets paid for. He had personal business that he had to attend to that he thought was serious. Big screaming deal. The team is over it, fans should get over it too.

And what would happen if the other players did that too?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You speak from a position of no information. Also, I find it hard to believe someone with kids would think like this. Someone with kids may think it is important to go to work even with some things going on with their kids, but would allow the possibility that something may be important enough to stay home with them.

Like I said. You are the one that bought into the notion that he isnt attending because he needs to spend time with his kids. I'm not buying it as the real reason he didnt go. I am basing my information off of his history with not wanting to practice or enjoy football enough. And you are basing your opinion off of what? The fact that Jerry made a nice little excuse for him? If you want to believe it, be my guest. Just dont tell me what I should and shouldnt believe based on the facts.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You guys are not good at analogies. :laugh:

Its pretty simple. Do you tell your employer why you are REALLY not showing up or do you make up a lie that seems like a good excuse and that he can better accept mentally?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Your beef is with the FO that agreed to give Ro the "slack", not Ro. Jerry has admitted to having this agreement with the man.

If RO doesnt like football and he is not happy, then that is up to him. I cant comment on his thoughts only his actions. Most people would love to be in his position, but if he is only in football to make money, then I can definitely understand that.

As far as blame, yah, I blame the FO. They continue to employ or sign these type of players and then preach just the opposite. I dont see how you build a championship team or change the culture by signing these type of guys. They are desperate and have little other options. Its because of how poorly they continue to manage the Cowboys year in and year out. This year was absolutely no exception. Regardless of securing a great back like Zeke that will put up big numbers.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A question was asked of Bryan Broaddus about McClain. "Does he look to be in shape?"

That's comforting...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And if the team was coming off a Superbowl, then it'd be about how he must be fat and happy and doesn't want to stay on top.

Evidently just different views. I think any time you are part of a team you owe them everything you got. If my team is out on the field that is where I should be as well. Of course emergency come up and players will miss from time to time but given an entire summer and a scheduled practice sessions I'm sure he could have worked things out to maximize his time so that he could meet his obligation at home and with the team. I'm sorry I'm sick of lazy player whom by the way on todays report he looks to be out of shape. People demand this team win and yet coddle lazy and immature players?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If RO doesnt like football and he is not happy, then that is up to him. I cant comment on his thoughts only his actions. Most people would love to be in his position, but if he is only in football to make money, then I can definitely understand that.

As far as blame, yah, I blame the FO. They continue to employ or sign these type of players and then preach just the opposite. I dont see how you build a championship team or change the culture by signing these type of guys. They are desperate and have little other options. Its because of how poorly they continue to manage the Cowboys year in and year out. This year was absolutely no exception. Regardless of securing a great back like Zeke that will put up big numbers.

Your memory isn't that good, is it. Ro's performance has always been better than most.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Its pretty simple. Do you tell your employer why you are REALLY not showing up or do you make up a lie that seems like a good excuse and that he can better accept mentally?

You keep using the word "excuse" as if one was required. No explanation was ever required, the workouts were collectively bargained to be optional and a big chunk of the attendees league-wide were bribed to be there with workout bonuses, not because they are great teammates sacrificing for the team.

Here was the "arrangement" between McClain and the team that Jerry keeps babbling about:
1) McClain decides whether he wants to attend or not
2) Jerry and Jason nod silently like bobbleheads at whatever the result of 1) is.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You keep using the word "excuse" as if one was required. No explanation was ever required, the workouts were collectively bargained to be optional and a big chunk of the attendees league-wide were bribed to be there with workout bonuses, not because they are great teammates sacrificing for the team.

Here was the "arrangement" between McClain and the team that Jerry keeps babbling about:
1) McClain decides whether he wants to attend or not
2) Jerry and Jason nod silently like bobbleheads at whatever the result of 1) is.

I use excuse because that is what some here are doing. Yes I know what the NFLPA says I disagree and I know what Jerry has said about an arrangement and again I disagree. As far as I'm concerned the players should want to be there with their team, they should want to stay in shape so they can be the best players they can be. It is all a matter of players doing what it takes to be champions not getting by and doing bare minimum. If a player has to be bribed or forced to show then in my view they are not worth keeping. I want guys who want to be champions and willing to do all they can to become just that. If not then all you are doing is collecting a paycheck.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I use excuse because that is what some here are doing. Yes I know what the NFLPA says I disagree and I know what Jerry has said about an arrangement and again I disagree. As far as I'm concerned the players should want to be there with their team, they should want to stay in shape so they can be the best players they can be. It is all a matter of players doing what it takes to be champions not getting by and doing bare minimum. If a player has to be bribed or forced to show then in my view they are not worth keeping. I want guys who want to be champions and willing to do all they can to become just that. If not then all you are doing is collecting a paycheck.

The problem with this is that as far as you're concerned is not the basis of the agreement in place. I don't particularly buy the argument, but if the guy thinks the best way for him to prepare for the season is to spend as much of his off time as possible at home, and the team's willing to accommodate that, then that's their decision. Maybe it's how he recharges. He walked away from the game once because of the personal demands it put on him. You don't really know how he assigns value, and you don't know what he's willing or not willing to do to play in the NFL. It might just be, as Jerry suggested, that the away time is valuable to McClain in getting prepared mentally for the commitment the NFL season takes.

The guy did put in some time at off season workouts, for what that's worth. And he's here for mandatory practices. What's more surprising is that he's able to come in and start and play at a relatively high level after missing voluntary time. But if that's what it takes to get him ready in his mind, and he can earn his spot, I don't have a problem with it conceptually. Except that he comes to work fat an out of shape eventually. As I said before, that's a much bigger issue for me.

He spends time, with permission, with his kids and your making fun of him when he comes back to work? Man, i hope Ro comes in and just destroys offenses so everybody can shut up about it.

For the record, there's nothing remotely amusing about you believing the guy wants to spend time with his kids. Anybody father who actually gives a rip would know this, of course.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Like I said. You are the one that bought into the notion that he isnt attending because he needs to spend time with his kids. I'm not buying it as the real reason he didnt go. I am basing my information off of his history with not wanting to practice or enjoy football enough. And you are basing your opinion off of what? The fact that Jerry made a nice little excuse for him? If you want to believe it, be my guest. Just dont tell me what I should and shouldnt believe based on the facts.
But you don't have facts that support your position. You are assuming. You think it's ok to assume based on your opinion that Jerry would cover for him. That's an opinion, not a fact. You have the right to "not buy it" all you want, but it remains that you don't have any facts to know. I don't have any facts either, but what remains is what was actually said.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The problem with this is that as far as you're concerned is not the basis of the agreement in place. I don't particularly buy the argument, but if the guy thinks the best way for him to prepare for the season is to spend as much of his off time as possible at home, and the team's willing to accommodate that, then that's their decision. Maybe it's how he recharges. He walked away from the game once because of the personal demands it put on him. You don't really know how he assigns value, and you don't know what he's willing or not willing to do to play in the NFL. It might just be, as Jerry suggested, that the away time is valuable to McClain in getting prepared mentally for the commitment the NFL season takes.

The guy did put in some time at off season workouts, for what that's worth. And he's here for mandatory practices. What's more surprising is that he's able to come in and start and play at a relatively high level after missing voluntary time. But if that's what it takes to get him ready in his mind, and he can earn his spot, I don't have a problem with it conceptually. Except that he comes to work fat an out of shape eventually. As I said before, that's a much bigger issue for me.

For the record, there's nothing remotely amusing about you believing the guy wants to spend time with his kids. Anybody father who actually gives a rip would know this, of course.

If it was the best thing he would be in shape. Come on enough already the guy is lazy he is using his kids as an excuse fact is be it Oakland, Baltimore and now Dallas the story has been the same. Kids my ars he is lazy he is unwilling to put in the work. I agree with everyone when they say he has great talent but in my view it is talent that will never reach full potential because he does not want it bad enough. He is willing to slide by. I understand what Jerry agreement was and again I don't agree it is stupid to cut slack to a guy who is known to be lazy and a pot head on top of that. I can see cutting slack to a guy who is committed and out of character to miss a practice that is they guy I cut slack when something comes up and he can't make it, be it voluntary or mandatory but you sure as hell do not cut slack to a slacker.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
And what would happen if the other players did that too?
So what? The workouts are not mandatory. That's fan speak that you are supposed to put the team above everything else in your life or you are some sort of slacker. I understand fans that are concerned he might come in out of shape or something. But to use the situation to say that it proves that he isn't dedicated or isn't mentally all in, and that his value system is broken because it doesn't equal yours is silly. Fans don't care about players personal lives, not unless they "think" it is hurting the team. All they care about is the team.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it was the best thing he would be in shape. Come on enough already the guy is lazy he is using his kids as an excuse fact is be it Oakland, Baltimore and now Dallas the story has been the same. Kids my ars he is lazy he is unwilling to put in the work. I agree with everyone when they say he has great talent but in my view it is talent that will never reach full potential because he does not want it bad enough. He is willing to slide by. I understand what Jerry agreement was and again I don't agree it is stupid to cut slack to a guy who is known to be lazy and a pot head on top of that. I can see cutting slack to a guy who is committed and out of character to miss a practice that is they guy I cut slack when something comes up and he can't make it, be it voluntary or mandatory but you sure as hell do not cut slack to a slacker.

I guy can be both lazy and value time with his kids. I'm living proof of that. This is a guy who walked away from the game once for lifestyle reasons. I believe he really means it when he says non-mandatory football is not a priority for him. And I don't see why it's such a stretch. He values his down time and doesn't want to be here when he isn't absolutely required to be.

I know fans hate the idea of a guy playing for their team and unwilling to put in the overtime. I hate it, myself. I've never liked the dude, I think his presence on the roster runs counter to what the team should be looking for. I especially hate that he's a puff away from a ten game suspension. But again, those are his terms for playing in the NFL, and the team was happy to meet those terms again this year. When he is here, he's focussed. He's bright and he plays hard once he gets himself into shape. He's an unusually gifted individual, and he's able to get by on it. We hate that what he's doing is 'getting by' when he could probably be an all pro if he ever really bothered to apply himself, but the guy can get deals for $5M per getting by, and that's what he wants to do.

And the fact is, the team's better with him here than it is with him gone. At least for this season.

I"m not sure we're really disagreeing here, except that I really don't think having McClain around hurts the team in the long run. I've been on teams with guys like that, and the players generally think on the one hand, he's a lucky ******* for being so talented, and on the other, he's a stupid ******* for being so lazy.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

You don't get to "disagree" with collectively bargained agreements between the NFL and the NFLPA. Of course you don't care about the players health or free time, beer gut fans only care about winning at all costs and by any means possible. They should immediately start practicing every day full contact right after the Super Bowl.

That Aaron Rodgers sure is a lousy teammate, collecting a half million workout bonus/bribe and then getting to skip the mini camp. He should want to be there, and for free. Heck, he should be paying the Packers to attend mini camp and giving a dollar to every beer gut fan in Wisconsin for the privilege of being an NFL player.