Romo Flashbacks. Bring in Dalton, it can't hurt

erod

Reaction score
Nope.

Did you see him against the Patriots? They won, but he was no better than anything Dak has done. The Chiefs scored 26 points, including a pick 6.

Now don't get me wrong, I think Mahomes could quit today and be a borderline Hall of Famer. I think he's great. I love watching him play. But there's nothing even HE can do with this train wreck of a defense
Yep.

We haven't played the freaking Patriots and Belichick.

Mahomes wins the Rams game, he rolls in the Atlanta game, and he beats the Browns in a shootout. I'd call it 50/50 in the Seattle game. He could be 4-0.

He doesn't play one or two quarters a game like Dak does.

pansophy

Reaction score
You think it'll be anywhere near Dak's?
No, I think Dak is better. The question though is if Dalton is $10-15 million less than Dak, does Dalton plus 2-3 additional B+ players make a bigger impact on our record than keeping Dak.

Dak is just below elite, but it’s a legit conversation, especially with our offensive weapons.

aikemirv

Reaction score
This is so clear.

Pease people. Pay attention. My fear is you carry this poor QB judgment into other areas in your life and it eventually affects me.
Yep, he has to flatten the route and get across the CB face

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Whether it was a confused Cooper, or Dak throwing into coverage......I'd like to see Dalton play. I don't care what numbers Dak has.......W's matter.

Can they also actually play 4 quarters of football instead of only the 4th?

The Cleveland running game looked impressive. Dallas defense concerns isn't only the secondary after that performance.

This team is messier than a soup sandwhich.

What Romo flashback is that? The 2014 Romo where he should've been the MVP of the league. Was it the Romo throwing into coverage flashback? The same Romo who has a better INT percentage than Staubach, Aikman, Marino and Elway?

Dak is getting the same thing Tony did. Having to put up 40 a game to overcome everybody else (and still can't win). If the rest of the team did their job as well as our QB's have done we'd be a lot better off.

Andy Dalton is not Romo and he's not Dak and W's won't matter until everything else is fixed.

csirl

Reaction score
Yes I did, now tell me how in the hell does playing Dalton help this team? It can't hurt? it can't help. Dak play is not the problem for this team so putting in Dalton does exactly what?

It allows for a controlled experiment to see how much Dak adds to the team. If Dak is worth 40m it will become self evident if Dalton plays. If there's no real difference in output with Dalton playing, then.....

Reaction score
Yep.

We haven't played the freaking Patriots and Belichick.

Mahomes wins the Rams game, he rolls in the Atlanta game, and he beats the Browns in a shootout. I'd call it 50/50 in the Seattle game. He could be 4-0.

He doesn't play one or two quarters a game like Dak does.
You are dead wrong, but it doesn't matter. Mahomes isn't a Cowboy and will never be a Cowboy. So the discussion is a waste of time.

I mean, I get it. You and several others are hardcore anti-Dakkers.

Even the worst defense in Cowboys history, and possibly NFL history, isn't enough to get you to lose focus on your prime directive: trash Dak no matter what. 8 TD's a game from Dak won't change your focus.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
You are dead wrong, but it doesn't matter. Mahomes isn't a Cowboy and will never be a Cowboy. So the discussion is a waste of time.

I mean, I get it. You and several others are hardcore anti-Dakkers.

Even the worst defense in Cowboys history, and possibly NFL history, isn't enough to get you to lose focus on your prime directive: trash Dak no matter what. 8 TD's a game from Dak won't change your focus.
But he does understand the importance of the Cowboys having a historically bad defense. He uses it often to defend the QB position as long as that QB is Romo. Dak doesn't get the same privilege. It's why you shouldn't try to have a rational conversation with the dude. He is just pushing his agenda.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Are you in love with Dak?
yes he is ;) , I think many here are and have giant posters of him everywhere in their bedrooms , even the ceiling.:p
And they may have one of those sleep by number beds dak sells lol. You may not be a millionaire like dak but you can sleep
good like dak with one of those beds.:D

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It allows for a controlled experiment to see how much Dak adds to the team. If Dak is worth 40m it will become self evident if Dalton plays. If there's no real difference in output with Dalton playing, then.....
There you go, it wouldnt hurt to see how dalton does. But jerry would never ok it, and MM would not dare bench dak for dalton.
MM is in the hot seat already with his boss, so it wont happen.
Dak would have to get concussed or hurt to allow dalton to play.

But for dalton to have the same stupid game plans, and play calling, they would still lose
more than likely.

Reaction score
But he does understand the importance of the Cowboys having a historically bad defense. He uses it often to defend the QB position as long as that QB is Romo. Dak doesn't get the same privilege. It's why you shouldn't try to have a rational conversation with the dude. He is just pushing his agenda.
True. I just need to learn the hard way sometimes

basel90

Reaction score
Now lets look at another reality. The reality of all the QB's that were thought to be big stars in the NFL that turned out to be busts. These QB's have been taken anywhere from the 1st pick in the draft and any number there after. The Cowboys once had one that was the 2nd pick in the draft, Ryan Leaf.

Now here's another thing the people that say don't pay Prescott because we have to spend everything on defense. They either think and/or imply that whatever money is saved from not paying Prescott the Cowboys will be able to fill EVERY need on defense in just this coming off season. Ya right.

Another thing about those don't pay Prescott is the Cowboys no longer have the offensive line of 2016. One of their anchors Smith has been injury prone the past few seasons and many people won't admit it but he's not the same LT from 2016 either. Martin is still playing well but how many people really think this line is still one of the best. So this line will have to be addressed too. After next season Gallup's contract will be up and ya many of you say that's OK because the Cowboys will just move Lamb out there but then but then who's going to the slot that's as good as Lamb? Oh that's right the Cowboys only have to worry about the defense.

So if the Cowboys spend every saved penny from no Prescott deal and use every draft pick on defense the defense will hopefully better but it's not going to become the 1985 bears or 2012 ravens defense so a top QB won't be needed? Teams that win the Super Bowls have good defenses but also have good QB's. Bus driver QB's only worked when they had that raven defense.

So if the Cowboys go to another QB that could be a bust or just nowhere as good as Prescott is no guarantee that the Cowboys get any closer to the Super Bowl, but having a QB that has proven that he can fight back from a lot of points down just might help.
You are right , If they don’t invest the money right on D and maybe on rebuilding the OL , then it won’t work indeed . But the existing expensive dead money means any expensive dak deal will further sink the team .

basel90

Reaction score
How is that HUGE investment with DLaw working out?
It’s not working not did I think it was smart by any stretch . Seems when we pay players they disappear or fizzle ( Zeke , copper ,Dlaw etc )

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Considering you know nothing about me, and make derogatory statements like that because of a theoretical thread, speaks volumes.
I know stupidity when I see it. This thread definitely qualifies. Deal with it.

basel90

Reaction score
but you just pointed to the exact problem that's right in front of you...you are missing the forest because of the trees.

its not that there is no money or resources to invest on defense, its that every investment has been bad. so even if we pay a minimum salary to a QB, there is no gaurantee we can get defensive resources that make a difference. we paid Lawrence 20 mill, so there is room on the cap for that kind of money...and have 0.5 sacks in 12 games...imagine if he played close to his contract and had 8 sacks!!! wow can you imagine. we paid Jaylon a 64 mill contract and he is 55th rated LB in the league, imagine if we paid a 64mill contract to a LB and he was top 15...wow imagine that. we have spent picks on defensive side and got nothing but average/bust players in return, where they should be difference makers. Taco, Chidobe, LVE (always injured with history of injuries), Hill, Collins, Jaylon, on and on and on.....we gave up a 6th round pick for quinn, who sucked at rush defense. we signed griffin and so far he sucks. we signed Poe and we all rejoiced, dreamt back to the 2015 season and before and were elated...Poe sucks...McCoy wasn't a saviour....his time had past long ago.......

so its just that we suck at getting defensive players. and our defensive scheme as sucked for years.our defensive coaches have sucked for years.

and just look at Indy. ebberflus was on our staff. we could have promoted him to be co-DC or something like that or make Marinelli a consultant and ebberflus the DC, instead he walk away and we kept marinelli and brought in Richard...who loved to scream on the side line and people loved him...

so no, giving a contract to a QB, is not a precurser not to be able to sign anyone. its about
Indeed accurate if jerry and Stephen don’t invest it very wisely , which is the issue . If they don’t this issue of a SB run is moot indeed .

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Whether it was a confused Cooper, or Dak throwing into coverage......I'd like to see Dalton play. I don't care what numbers Dak has.......W's matter.

Can they also actually play 4 quarters of football instead of only the 4th?

The Cleveland running game looked impressive. Dallas defense concerns isn't only the secondary after that performance.

This team is messier than a soup sandwhich.

Troll.

No one is legitimately this stupid, right?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You are right , If they don’t invest the money right on D and maybe on rebuilding the OL , then it won’t work indeed . But the existing expensive dead money means any expensive dak deal will further sink the team .

The league average dead money on the cap is 16.8 mil the Cowboys are below that and are the 14th lowest at 12 mil. Now if the Cowboys were like the jags at 43.7 then that would be a huge problem. Here's a news flash for you the cost of QB's goes up every year. Every year a new QB is the highest paid QB.

erod

Reaction score
Or, if you understand context, you know the difference between losing in a back-and-forth shootout, and racking up stats down 41-14.

But you don't, so never mind.