Romo on playing the QB position

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When will the hand wringing about Romo’s career end on this site?

I mean seriously, we are still debating about a player who has been retired for almost two years now?
This thread should have never been about Romo. It should have never been about Prescott. The OP is not responsible. That is how others twisted it.

Honestly though I am not without blame either. I should have moved this thread to the NFL Zone as soon as I opened it, lol.

InTheZone

Reaction score
It's not that I don't want to hear it. Hell, he's 100% correct. The dude even stated a preseason game was the biggest game of his entire career. And he's correct because that day he won. Right there is when Tony Romo won. He went on to make a lot of money and will be able to provide for his family. Dude is set.

I just don't want him leading my team as QB. I want Troy Aikman who can't stand to lose. The Troy that had to retire to get away from the circus Dallas had become. That's who I want.
So you want a qb that yells at every bad thing to happen? I think we ran dez out for doing that and don't say he was on the decline but aikman was in the same boat. If you think there was no competitive desire to win, putting his injured body on the line many times is not the same as "expressing for viewership" a can't stand to lose attitude I don't know what to say to convince you. It just sounds like you're disagreeing on things you agree with.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
So you want a qb that yells at every bad thing to happen? I think we ran dez out for doing that and don't say he was on the decline but aikman was in the same boat. If you think there was no competitive desire to win, putting his injured body on the line many times is not the same as "expressing for viewership" a can't stand to lose attitude I don't know what to say to convince you. It just sounds like you're disagreeing on things you agree with.
I want a QB like Troy Aikman leading my team instead of Tony Romo. That is what I want.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Thing is romo did play on teams where they're bottom 5 in overall penalties and a 50/50 line. Current team is top 8 in penalties but the players are so inep on offense you'd think we're last.

And when you have a line that consists of rookie T. Smith, Holland, Costa, Kosier, Free and a rookie RB and you're getting sacked 35% less per pass despite passing a lot more compared to the line today you can understand why I hate hearing excuses now for certain players. This team has a better line and run game but you would never guess.
That line up was one year. Lol 07-09 he had a good OL. 10 and 11 it was aweful. 12 it was below avg and 13 above avg. The whole time he still had a great TE. Had a true #1 wr in 07 and 08. Even had a good running game but JG just chose to throw it. Had a good running game in 09. 2010-12 he has really nothing except a great TE. 2013 he has a great TE, a young but true #1 wr , a above avg OL, and once again a good running game that JG chose not to use.

Dak has no great TE, no true #1, and a avg ol with a LT that has seen his better days, a rookie RG, a back up C, a all pro LG and a RT that should be playing G and is at best a avg RT. Oh, he's also dealing with the same coach Romo had to deal with and that Romo gets an excuse for.

This offensive scheme has to have a good /great QB, a true 1wr, a good/great TE, a good /great OL, a good/ great running game for it to work. If any are missing the offense struggles. The more parts it's missing the more it struggles.

Romo at all points in his career had at least 1 of the key parts of the offense and 2 when you include him. He always had a great TE, he had a true #1 wr in 07 and 08, had a true #1 in 13 and 14 and i could argue 12, had a good OL 07-09, 13 and a great one in 14, a good running game that wasnt used much in 07-09, 12-13 and a great one in 14. Dak doesn't have any of the key parts except the running game and that's only when the OL is doing what they should do and that's only been at home. Some don't include him as being one of the key parts but I do. But I can see the argument that he isn't but until he gets what this offense requires, I won't completely judge him. Or when they get HC that runs a offense that doesnt require all that is rquired for this offense and can actually adapt to the personnel. If Romo got the excuses from me and others, and still does 2 years after he has been gone from others , Dak should too.

I'll say it again, I defended Romo for 10 years with very little help from others. Most of the time it was other cowboy fans trashing him that I had to defend him against. But some how , some way, and I haven't quite figured it out yet , he has became a legend now. To the point where a former romosexual, like myself , has to temper down the hype he gets now from many. People now act like he was one of the greatest to play the position and did it all on his own. When conversations about Dak sucking happen, very seldom is it we need to draft or get a qb in fa, it's "if we had Romo". Lol people can't let him go. At times , it's quite disturbing . Lol

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not the one passing out the insults in our discussion bud, seems the norm though when guys hear things about Dak they don't like
You have no argument. Play the victim all you want, I couldn't possibly care less. If you have anything to add to the topic, cool! If not I' letting you enjoy the last word and moving on.

InTheZone

Reaction score
That line up was one year. Lol 07-09 he had a good OL. 10 and 11 it was aweful. 12 it was below avg and 13 above avg. The whole time he still had a great TE. Had a true #1 wr in 07 and 08. Even had a good running game but JG just chose to throw it. Had a good running game in 09. 2010-12 he has really nothing except a great TE. 2013 he has a great TE, a young but true #1 wr , a above avg OL, and once again a good running game that JG chose not to use.

Dak has no great TE, no true #1, and a avg ol with a LT that has seen his better days, a rookie RG, a back up C, a all pro LG and a RT that should be playing G and is at best a avg RT. Oh, he's also dealing with the same coach Romo had to deal with and that Romo gets an excuse for.

This offensive scheme has to have a good /great QB, a true 1wr, a good/great TE, a good /great OL, a good/ great running game for it to work. If any are missing the offense struggles. The more parts it's missing the more it struggles.

Romo at all points in his career had at least 1 of the key parts of the offense and 2 when you include him. He always had a great TE, he had a true #1 wr in 07 and 08, had a true #1 in 13 and 14 and i could argue 12, had a good OL 07-09, 13 and a great one in 14, a good running game that wasnt used much in 07-09, 12-13 and a great one in 14. Dak doesn't have any of the key parts except the running game and that's only when the OL is doing what they should do and that's only been at home. Some don't include him as being one of the key parts but I do. But I can see the argument that he isn't but until he gets what this offense requires, I won't completely judge him. Or when they get HC that runs a offense that doesnt require all that is rquired for this offense and can actually adapt to the personnel. If Romo got the excuses from me and others, and still does 2 years after he has been gone from others , Dak should too.

I'll say it again, I defended Romo for 10 years with very little help from others. Most of the time it was other cowboy fans trashing him that I had to defend him against. But some how , some way, and I haven't quite figured it out yet , he has became a legend now. To the point where a former romosexual, like myself , has to temper down the hype he gets now from many. People now act like he was one of the greatest to play the position and did it all on his own. When conversations about Dak sucking happen, very seldom is it we need to draft or get a qb in fa, it's "if we had Romo". Lol people can't let him go. At times , it's quite disturbing . Lol
-I'm not making romo a legend.
-I'm comparing a bad season of Dak and his excuses to romo in a worst situation to bring light of our current situation. Nothing more.

Edit: hate the post saving when you decide to not post

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fun thread. Time for it to go where it should go.

Reminder for everyone though:

Site rule #1 - You will not publicly question the actions of the staff or how this site is managed.

Re-open.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
What he is saying is Darnold has the special ability to be on his third read in a matter of 1 second. He also says some QB's look at one receiver and say " okay he's not open" then goes to his second option, and by the time he does all that the real elite QB's have already thrown the ball to his 3rd option. Basically Darnold is the special type of QB he's talking about and our QB is the other guy.
:clap::thumbup:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
That was a Garrett decision in my opinion. I will believe in my heart until the day I die that Jerry wanted Romo back in the minute he was healthy. This is one of the few times where Jerry did not get his way and ironically it’s one of the few times where he was right
At the time I just felt tony was the better choice in playing GB, where you need a stronger passing game to beat GB.
Or a very good defense which they didnt have at the time.