Romo or Brees

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Top 5 is pushing it.
Which FIVE of these guys is Brees better than?
  • P Manning
  • Brady
  • Elway
  • Marino
  • Staubach
  • Graham
  • Montana
  • Favre
  • Rodgers
  • Unitas
Brees is better than Elway Staubach Graham Favre Unitas.

Only QBs ahead of him are

Brady
Montana
Rodgers
Manning

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
i really cant laugh hard enough. its that simple.
Let me guess old-timer, your nostalgia has you putting QBs that needed all-time great teams to win ahead of who will own the record for most passing yrds of all time and will throw for the most Tds all time?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
This thread proves to me that Brees, and I'll include Steve Young, as being the most underrated great QBs of all time. Brees being the most accurate passer to ever play the game and Young being the most dangerous due to his athletic and throwing ability.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Brees. It's not even a debate.
It's ridiculous how good he's been for so long.
He's up there with Favre, Elway, Manning, ect.
Romo was really good and could perform as well as those guys at times for sure, especially in his latter years. He didn't perform at quite that elite level throughout his career like those other guys have, so he's not in their league.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Brees. It's not even a debate.
It's ridiculous how good he's been for so long.
He's up there with Favre, Elway, Manning, ect.
Romo was really good and could perform as well as those guys at times for sure, especially in his latter years. He didn't perform at quite that elite level throughout his career like those other guys have, so he's not in their league.
And yet his QB rating is strangely sitting there, right under Rodgers and Brady and ahead of Brees and Manning. Must be a typo...

mattjames2010

Reaction score
And yet his QB rating is strangely sitting there, right under Rodgers and Brady and ahead of Brees and Manning. Must be a typo...

Romo certainly had a great career, but he just never had seasons like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, and Manning had. These are guys who have historic seasons, some multiple.

There are legendary players and then there are great players. Romo is second tier, which there is nothing wrong with.

CPanther95

Reaction score

If QB rating was the deciding factor, Big Ben would be better than Joe Montana, Jameis Winston better than Dan Marino, Joe Flacco better than Roger Staubach, and Neil O'Donnell (along with everyone listed above ) better than Aikman.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Romo certainly had a great career, but he just never had seasons like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, and Manning had. These are guys who have historic seasons, some multiple.

There are legendary players and then there are great players. Romo is second tier, which there is nothing wrong with.
But if they all have the same QB ratings, that must mean they all had lower lows as well. One of Romo’s great traits was his consistent performance. I believe a top 10 QB rating every single year that he played. Consistency is key as well for being great.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
If QB rating was the deciding factor, Big Ben would be better than Joe Montana, Jameis Winston better than Dan Marino, Joe Flacco better than Roger Staubach, and Neil O'Donnell (along with everyone listed above ) better than Aikman.
False. Only if you compare players across eras. Everyone I listed had largely intersecting careers.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Romo had a great career, but he didn't perform like an elite QB consistently like Favre, Brees, Elway - Manning threw 55 TDs and 49 TDs in different seasons.
Romo was almost always a top 5-15 QB year in- year out.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Romo.
Brees would have stunk it up playing in a JG predictable offense.

Romo in Sean Peyton’s offense would have multiple Super Bowls.

Scheme matters.

I believe the kids call that a "mic drop".

Romo all but begged for a more elaborate system. I won't knock Brees quite as much as you
but I don't think you're wrong. You're 100% correct on Romo with Payton in his prime.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Romo had a great career, but he didn't perform like an elite QB consistently like Favre, Brees, Elway - Manning threw 55 TDs and 49 TDs in different seasons.
Romo was almost always a top 5-15 QB year in- year out.
And yet his QB rating is strangely sitting there, right under Rodgers and Brady and ahead of Brees and Manning.
It’s not a magic trick guys... Peyton Manning is a lot better than Eli Manning. And lo and behold, he has a QB rating a whopping 15 points higher for their career. If these QB Gods you guys worship were so much better, it would show up somewhere.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

You do realize that when you throw less than others you have a much better chance at a higher QB rating and efficiency numbers, right? Let me show you how to do it if you want to throw out a stat to make a case for Romo:

Brees, despite attempting almost 5,000 more passes than Romo in his career, has a lower INT percentage than Romo at 2.5 compared to Romo's 2.7. That means Brees took better care of the ball despite throwing more than twice as much. Heck, Brees has completed almost 2,000 more passes than Romo has attempted. Still, Brees has a better completion percentage (66.9% to 65.3%) despite throwing all the extra passes, which is also against the statistical probability grain.

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
But if they all have the same QB ratings, that must mean they all had lower lows as well. One of Romo’s great traits was his consistent performance. I believe a top 10 QB rating every single year that he played. Consistency is key as well for being great.

You need to look at context. Rodgers is a lot higher than Romo's, having a 103.8 QB rating. As for Brady, since 2007, outside of his 2013 season, Brady has a higher QB rating than Romo. 2007 is when Brady transcended into a legendary QB. Drew Brees since 2009 has 6 seasons with a 100+ rating, while Manning had 6+ seasons with a 100+ rating as well. Romo had two.

Yes, Romo was consistently great QB, but we are talking legendary. The guys we are talking about are players who are consistently great and at their peak were QBs that played at levels we've never seen before.

Romo is with the Rivers type QBs. As I said, there is nothing wrong with this. Great players who had a couple elite seasons, but they never reached legendary status.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
And yet his QB rating is strangely sitting there, right under Rodgers and Brady and ahead of Brees and Manning.
It’s not a magic trick guys... Peyton Manning is a lot better than Eli Manning. And lo and behold, he has a QB rating a whopping 15 points higher for their career. If these QB Gods you guys worship were so much better, it would show up somewhere.
QB rating is hardly gospel.
How about TDs?
Durability & longevity?
Playoff appearances?
You want to fixate on one stat, be my guest.
You're on your own if you think Tony had a better career than Manning & Brees.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
You do realize that when you throw less than others you have a much better chance at a higher QB rating and efficiency numbers, right? Let me show you how to do it if you want to throw out a stat to make a case for Romo:

Brees, despite attempting almost 5,000 more passes than Romo in his career, has a lower INT percentage than Romo at 2.5 compared to Romo's 2.7. That means Brees took better care of the ball despite throwing more than twice as much. Heck, Brees has completed almost 2,000 more passes than Romo has attempted. Still, Brees has a better completion percentage (66.9% to 65.3%) despite throwing all the extra passes, which is also against the statistical grain.
That doesn’t make any sense. By throwing so many more passes he gave himself a larger buffer to throw interceptions and incompletions. All that matters is the rate. Brees was slightly better at completion percentage and interception rate, but Romo threw touchdowns at a greater rate and has a higher yards per attempt. All of these numbers favor greatly into the passer rating formula. You can’t find some secret in them. Brees was very prolific with yards and attempts per game (#1 all time) but so was Romo. If pure volume is your argument then you pretty much have to make the argument that Brees is the GOAT.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
You need to look at context. Rodgers is a lot higher than Romo's, having a 103.8 QB rating. As for Brady, since 2007, outside of his 2013 season, Brady has a higher QB rating than Romo. 2007 is when Brady transcended into a legendary QB. Drew Brees since 2009 has 6 seasons with a 100+ rating, while Manning had 6+ seasons with a 100+ rating as well. Romo had two.

Yes, Romo was consistently great QB, but we are talking legendary. The guys we are talking about are players who are consistently great and at their peak were QBs that played at levels we've never seen before.

Romo is with the Rivers type QBs. As I said, there is nothing wrong with this. Great players who had a couple elite seasons, but they never reached legendary status.
You're exactly right- their are different levels of "greatness", so to speak.
Rivers is a great comp.
Romo was a joy to watch, and might have had
a ring if not for perpetually bad defenses
& poor protection.