Romo passes on the question of what Cowboys must do to take the next step

Number1

Reaction score
We had the #1 rusher in the nfl and we had a top 5 run defense that allowed 94 yards a game all season.

Players aren’t an excuse. They had the guys to get the job done. No excuse for 270 yards allowed on the ground.

McVay hit them with a bunch of pre-snap stuff and Dallas was clueless as to how to stop it.

we did have a #1 rusher ... comp gets better in the playoffs and our interior OL got pushed around

BTW, what do pre-snap adjustments have to do with DTs getting blown off the ball? and by what magic do you imagine OL and DL talent don't matter in the NFL?

swap our DTs for Sue and Donald ... still think McVay wins that game?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
We can find moments where Tony has been complimentary of Dak.

When it comes to Garrett it's been crickets.
He kinda is forced to say positive things about Prescott so I'm not reading too much into that. If he says what some here say even if it's warranted some will say he's jealous or whatever. I think it could be both to be honest. They are the two biggest problems to the biggest amount of fans overall with varying degrees of blame put on each one by different fans.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Bring back Romo. He'll be the first QB to throw a Super Bowl winning TD from a hospital bed with a bionic arm.

erod

Reaction score
Safe to say the Romos and Garretts aren't trading Christmas cards these days.

You know Romo is irked because he basically built Garrett's career for him, then was refused the chance to earn back his job.

Romo was a terrific quarterback and now a terrific broadcaster.

Garrett was a nobody quarterback and is now a yes-man, lap dog coach.

Romo is winning.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really think it had two parts and this was on of them
Garrett, obviously. He's been hinting at it all year.
But although he personally likes Dak, I have to wonder if he thinks he's a true franchise guy vs being just average.
He's not going to say it though. No need to go there.

He's got no reason to hide any criticism of Garrett. He can say they have to do a better job schematically and things like that and nobody will have a problem with it. With Jerry he's probably more inclined to bite his tongue since he made him a rich man but he really has to mind his manners when talking about his replacement. It'll come off very agenda driven if he openly criticizes the QB.

You'll never convince me that Romo doesn't watch Prescott and think how the bleep could the Cowboys have chosen that over him. The guy can't even throw an out route. He struggles to properly set his feet. That has to bother him. He just can't say it.

Fortunately I'm here to read between the lines for you all.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
we did have a #1 rusher ... comp gets better in the playoffs and our interior OL got pushed around

BTW, what do pre-snap adjustments have to do with DTs getting blown off the ball? and by what magic do you imagine OL and DL talent don't matter in the NFL?

swap our DTs for Sue and Donald ... still think McVay wins that game?

270 yards.

I don’t care if we had the worst run defense in the league, which we didn’t, we should never give up 270 yards. Ever.

Btw, the comp didn’t get better. Rams are not a good run defense. Ranked 21st. Teams run on them for fun.

Blackrain

Reaction score
He's got no reason to hide any criticism of Garrett. He can say they have to do a better job schematically and things like that and nobody will have a problem with it. With Jerry he's probably more inclined to bite his tongue since he made him a rich man but he really has to mind his manners when talking about his replacement. It'll come off very agenda driven if he openly criticizes the QB.

You'll never convince me that Romo doesn't watch Prescott and think how the bleep could the Cowboys have chosen that over him. The guy can't even throw an out route. He struggles to properly set his feet. That has to bother him. He just can't say it.

Fortunately I'm here to read between the lines for you all.

You will never convince me that Romo dosent watch hits like the one Dak took from Michael Bennett and think that's why the Cowboys chose him over me I would have been out for the season glad Im in the booth .

Yep Daks mechanics need work but he is a football player that can be tackled and get up lead the team and live to play another play and get better . Tony was a passer and a very good one but his body would no longer tolerate him being a football player and availability is job one

Blackrain

Reaction score
Garrett? Jerry? What is he thinking here?

He is thinking I don't play for them anymore and I don't care what they need to do to take the next step because I don't want to see them take it

Why would Tony want the Cowboys to go farther than he was able to take them or even discuss it . Probably leaves a bad taste in his mouth just thinking of them going to a SB after he is retired

Mannix

Reaction score
------Sad, he doesn't have anything positive to say.

I think he took the high road saying nothing....was he supposed to lie and praise The Clapping Carrot? Tony has always been nothing but class.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes because it wasn’t a conventional run game. They threw a lot of things at the team and they had no idea where the ball was.

There is no excuse for our team to give up 270 yards. None.

The Rams coaches made our coaches and in turn our players look lost.
I agree there isn’t an excuse for the 270, but if blame goes out when things go wrong, credit has to go out when things go right. Surely the argument isn’t that for 17 games offenses tried only to make it as easy as possible on the Cowboys run defense.

Mannix

Reaction score
--------You know Romo is irked because he basically built Garrett's career for him, then was refused the chance to earn back his job.

Erod, you are a bright guy.....gold star on the refrigerator for you young man! :)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I agree there isn’t an excuse for the 270, but if blame goes out when things go wrong, credit has to go out when things go right. Surely the argument isn’t that for 17 games offenses tried only to make it as easy as possible on the Cowboys run defense.

I do not give them credit because their brand of football doesn’t allow for them to get any credit.

The entire thing is dependent on our players talent.

There are few good playcalls throughout the season. It’s our guys trying to impose themselves on the other team.

There are no adjustments. There are no great coaching performances. Our coaches offer nothing but fundamental football and it ends there.