Romo to his BFF

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Witten was covered closely and at the last possible second Witten turns around and has a very tiny window to catch the ball. Eric even had one arm on Wittens right arm making it hard for Witten to bring it up.

This, they got away with a hold

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
What happens when you lock onto one receiver instead of reading the coverage. Romo tends to feel pressure and he forces passes to his security blanket. Only problem is everyone knows where it’s going too.

Zordon

Reaction score
it's been a problem for years. don't expect that from a 100M dollar qb. i'm waiting for the day he forces a ball like that to dez bryant when he's double covered. for some reason he doesn't feel comfortable doing that yet.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Worst part about it was Romo was under no pressure. Witten wasn't open when he released the ball. Romo could have and should have easily checked down to Beasley for a huge game. Also, the short pass should have been the hot read in my opinion. The head coach should have been thinking 2 downs to get the first in my opinion with the field location and score and time.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Gameover

Reaction score
Beasley should be our go to guy on third downs. Always relying on Witten has to stop.

Beasley should be our second option inside the opponents ten yard line.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
This is what happens when your QB is obsessed with his BFF. Check out Cole Beasley who is WIDE OPEN for an easy first down AND MORE. Who does Romo throw the ball to? His BFF who is covered by the best defensive player on the Chargers (Eric Weddle). We were down 23-21 here, after this play we punt and then Rivers throws the TD to Gates to pretty much put the nail in the coffin.

Where is the guarantee that Beasley would catch it?

I am the anti-Romo, but sometimes you gotta cut the guy some slack. Had the defenders been a step slower and had Witten caught it, me and the boys at the hair-braiders shop a day after would have been high-5ing and saying what a gutsy call it was and what a great catch (again) by Witten.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Beasley was wide open underneath. Witten had Weddle beaten deep.

Romo underthrew Witten, which forced Witten to slow down and turn around until he was almost backpeddling. That allowed Weddle to make up ground and interfere with Witten's right arm as he tried to reach up for the ball. Witten was unable to make a one-handed catch with his left hand while backpeddling and being interfered with by Weddle.

Blame whomever you want, but I don't see how anyone can dispute those facts.

I agree with most of this except saying it was a fact Witten had Weddle beat deep. It appeared that way for a split second but Weddle closed the gap quick and I believe had the play defended well if the ball was thrown to the right spot. Once the ball was thrown badly short (or right on the numbers as some say) it caused Weddle to try to adjust and come back a little thus reaching his hand out and holding Wittens arm a little. Not sure why some are blaming Witten on that play when he had to do a 180 had one arm to work with.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Where is the guarantee that Beasley would catch it?

Beasley can't catch a 5 yard pass when he is wide open? Much higher % Beasley catches that ball and picks up the first down and more than Witten catching a 28 yard pass while being covered by Weddle.

ljs44

Reaction score
This is what happens when your QB is obsessed with his BFF. Check out Cole Beasley who is WIDE OPEN for an easy first down AND MORE. Who does Romo throw the ball to? His BFF who is covered by the best defensive player on the Chargers (Eric Weddle). We were down 23-21 here, after this play we punt and then Rivers throws the TD to Gates to pretty much put the nail in the coffin.

Ya, Romo should have hit Beasley instead of thrown it off both of Wittens hands.

Romo can't win no matter what he does.

I think he was also out of position on the 2nd Woodhead TD and the Gates score.

LOBO7

Reaction score
Weddle doesnt know where the ball is if Witten would have stopped Weddle would have ran over him bringing a flag. I know you do not practice stuff like that but maybe you should. Dont think Romo ever saw Beasley.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I agree with most of this except saying it was a fact Witten had Weddle beat deep. It appeared that way for a split second but Weddle closed the gap quick and I believe had the play defended well if the ball was thrown to the right spot. Once the ball was thrown badly short (or right on the numbers as some say) it caused Weddle to try to adjust and come back a little thus reaching his hand out and holding Wittens arm a little. Not sure why some are blaming Witten on that play when he had to do a 180 had one arm to work with.

Witten had a good step on Weddle. That's getting beat in the NFL. Still requires a good throw. I would rather take Beasley underneath who is wide open to gain 15 yards than Witten with 1-step on Weddle.

YR

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Wait. You trust Beasley over Witten?

Wide open Beasley 5 yards away or Witten covered 28 yards down field. Which is a better option for picking up the first down? Romo picks Witten every time. The defense knows this.

StylisticS

Reaction score
I get tired of Romo going to Witten at times. But this was not one of them. Witten had Weddle beat. Witten was also held but he should have caught that ball. That was a good throw by Romo and Weddle didn't even know where the ball was and it hit Witten in his hands.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score

khiladi

Reaction score
Beasley was wide open underneath. Witten had Weddle beaten deep.

Romo underthrew Witten, which forced Witten to slow down and turn around until he was almost backpeddling. That allowed Weddle to make up ground and interfere with Witten's right arm as he tried to reach up for the ball. Witten was unable to make a one-handed catch with his left hand while backpeddling and being interfered with by Weddle.

Blame whomever you want, but I don't see how anyone can dispute those facts.

That is exatly what I saw... Romo changed the play after seeing a match-up of Witten going down the seam... Th deep safety actually started towards defending Beasley, which is why he first went forward. He tried to recover. Romo made the right call but underthrew Witten.