CZ POLL Romo: Traded, Released, Retained Or Retire?

What do you think will happen with Romo in the near foreseeable future?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Proof

Reaction score
There's not a crappier situation for a QB than Cleveland especially an aging one with injury issues. The Browns are coming off a 1-15 season for crying out loud. Cleveland being brought up in this discussion is laughable. No way is Romo going to want to play in Cleveland. He doesn't move as well as he used to, he would end up getting killed. Don't know what you're looking at to like the Browns outlook. They're coming off their worst season in franchise history and haven't made the playoffs in 14 years.

I already conceded it's not likely to happen.

I just think their young core talent is nice and they have a boat load of picks. They were also competitive in quite a few games last year.

Was also giving them Romo and Lael in fantasy land and forgot to include duke johnson as a security blanket. They're still the Browns, but I think they'll see a nice spike next year

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

I just think their young core talent is nice and they have a boat load of picks. They were also competitive in quite a few games last year.

Was also giving them Romo and Lael in fantasy land and forgot to include duke johnson as a security blanket. They're still the Browns, but I think they'll see a nice spike next year
Even if they traded #33 for Romo they could add Myles Garrett, L Fournette, sign Leary to OG, Church for SS and still get a young QB in the 2nd and still have 60m in cap space

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

When a team goes from 3-13 to 1-15 they have real issues. The Browns have regressed the last 3 seasons. The organization is a complete mess. They went through 5 QBs last season and most of them got injured due to taking 61 sacks. Until the Browns solidify their QB situation with a young franchise QB they're going to continue losing games. An aging, injury prone QB isn't the answer in Cleveland they need a young QB they can grow with and they blew a golden opportunity by trading out of the second overall pick last April that could have landed them Wentz. The Browns are the LAST team Romo would want to end up with.

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
For me, a restructure and trade for anything is a win. It's all about freeing up cap space.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I keep hearing about all these teams wanting him but not willing to trade, which means there is a clear market for Romo. Teams are banking on Jerry's relationship with Romo and that he will "do the right thing" and release Romo.

I say hold onto him. We have the leverage. Romo frees up $5M and we can justify it that we won't get as good a back-up for that additional $5M in cap room. Romo can always quit or retire . Then we still get that cap room and we can go after some of his signing bonus.

We aren't really going to keep him in this situation though. Someone is going to blink and trade for him. Either it will be a team like Houston or Denver realizing how close they are to contending OR a situation like Minnesota with Teddy Bridgewater.

There's no need to panic and dump him now. Again, we have all of the leverage.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I keep hearing about all these teams wanting him but not willing to trade, which means there is a clear market for Romo. Teams are banking on Jerry's relationship with Romo and that he will "do the right thing" and release Romo.

I say hold onto him. We have the leverage. Romo frees up $5M and we can justify it that we won't get as good a back-up for that additional $5M in cap room. Romo can always quit or retire . Then we still get that cap room and we can go after some of his signing bonus.

We aren't really going to keep him in this situation though. Someone is going to blink and trade for him. Either it will be a team like Houston or Denver realizing how close they are to contending OR a situation like Minnesota with Teddy Bridgewater.

There's no need to panic and dump him now. Again, we have all of the leverage.
We don't get any substantial cap relief until June 1st short of a big paycut so there is no hurry at all

5m in cap relief is nothing and we can afford to keep his entire contract, so we are under no deadlines

Sydla

Reaction score
I am comfortable keeping Romo as the bak up to Dak, so I will wait all year for the appropriate deal

I am not a pushover that will take table scraps for a top 10 QB

If I have to restructure his 14m salary I will since we are only saving 5m with your early sucky trade

What's an appropriate deal? A first round pick?

Then you'll get to see Romo retire as a backup Cowboys QB, because no one is offering a first rounder for him.

You certainly don't dump him now, that would be insane. But as the draft approaches one may have to adjust their expectations in a trade (unless of course there is no trade out there, then you are stuck).

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Then you'll get to see Romo retire as a backup Cowboys QB, because no one is offering a first rounder for him.

You certainly don't dump him now, that would be insane. But as the draft approaches one may have to adjust their expectations in a trade (unless of course there is no trade out there, then you are stuck).
Obviously by waiting we miss the 2017 Draft, so I would want at least a 2018 1st

I would rather keep Tony and workout a back-up contract for 5m with incentives for games started than take a 3rd or 4th round pick and save 5m...we still have to spend 2m+ on a QB2

Obviously if Romo doesn't agree then we move him but it would take a 2017 1st at the minimum to move him this Spring

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

It doesn't have to be a 1st round pick necessarily. Just the best deal possible. If Houston offers us a 5th round pick at the draft and we say no. maybe after going through camp and watching Osweiler play catch with DB's, they up that to a 2nd in 2018. Sold. If the Raiders put Carr back out there too soon and he gets hurt again, maybe they decide Matt McGloin isn't going to cut it, and they offer a 1st.

Best deal possible. When you have the leverage, you get to hold out for a better deal.

Worst case scenario is Dak has the best back-up and football and then next off-season you can cut, trade, or let Romo retire to a cap savings of $16M plus.

Sydla

Reaction score
Obviously by waiting we miss the 2017 Draft, so I would want at least a 2018 1st

I would rather keep Tony and workout a back-up contract for 5m with incentives for games started than take a 3rd or 4th round pick and save 5m...we still have to spend 2m+ on a QB2

Obviously if Romo doesn't agree then we move him but it would take a 2017 1st at the minimum to move him this Spring

I'd rather take the pick, save $5MM and just move on from the inevitable Romo circus.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Vegas has 2-1 odds of Romo to Texans.
3-1 odds he ends up with Denver.

6-1 odds he remains in Dallas.

Yep, even odds makers are in on this.

Chicago and KC are in the mix as well.

Proof

Reaction score
Even if they traded #33 for Romo they could add Myles Garrett, L Fournette, sign Leary to OG, Church for SS and still get a young QB in the 2nd and still have 60m in cap space
Lol. Hats incredible.

It's a really odd thing to say, but the browns are currently in an enviable position

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Lol. Hats incredible.

It's a really odd thing to say, but the browns are currently in an enviable position
From a rebuilding perspective, they are. They are in better shape than teams like the Jets and 49ers, that's for sure. The jury is out as to whether they can do anything with this position.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Lol. Hats incredible.

From a rebuilding perspective, they are. They are in better shape than teams like the Jets and 49ers, that's for sure. The jury is out as to whether they can do anything with this position.

But they need that elusive QB or it is all for naught.........we saw that with DEN, HOU and OAK

Proof

Reaction score
right. I'm not putting it past them to botch it, but they're in prime position to turn the corner

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
right. I'm not putting it past them to botch it, but they're in prime position to turn the corner
I think they've got good people running things now and I love the analytical approach they are taking. It really comes down to QB. If they can find a top 10 signal caller they'll put together enough other pieces be a perennial contender. Probably at least 2 more years away and the QB isn't on the roster yet.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
That would suck if he goes to the Commanders.

So many rumors everywhere.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That would suck if he goes to the Commanders.

So many rumors everywhere.

That rumor just got started but I can't see that happening. There's talk the Commanders could trade Cousins to SF. This is going to be an interesting offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.