Romo vs Dak

erod

Reaction score
Romo had how many pro bowlers on his teams? How long did it take him to put it all together? By the time he really got the position down his body was telling him to **** off. Finally TO made Romo

Almost none on the offensive line until the very end. (And pro bowls mean nothing; only all-pro matters.) That's why he was broken in half. And the others were pro bowlers BECAUSE of Romo in most cases. Dez was not a pro bowler without Romo. Jason Witten might even not be without the sublime relationship he had with Romo.

And Romo was better after TO left than during that time.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins has the highest QB rating in the NFL. Get out of here with weak stats, and watch the damn games. Stats mean almost nothing.

I've watched every game of both Dak and Romo's careers. How would you propose that we measure accuracy if not with basic stats (completion % along with Y/A) nor advanced stats (completion % above expectation, tight window throws, etc)? If the answer is "teh eye test" then there is no discussion to be had.

I can say Mahomes is accurate by my eye. You can say he isn't. And that's that. Pointless discussion.

Dak has been accurate this year on throws at all levels. Has he been perfect? Of course not. No quarterback is including Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, etc. But he's been more than acceptable accuracy wise and it hurts those that have hung their hat on potential accuracy issues.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Kirk Cousins has the highest QB rating in the NFL. Get out of here with weak stats, and watch the damn games. Stats mean almost nothing.
So the measure of a player is your eyes?

What does he do that can’t be measured or I can’t see that you don’t like?

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Geez...it's not even a worthy discussion.

Romo was better in every aspect of playing the position by leaps and bounds except for quarterback sneaks and running with the ball on the run-pass option. And he didn't get to play in this ultra-soft league with every rule heavily bent to protect and help the quarterbacks. It was slowly becoming this way over his career, but not to the snowflake version it's become.

Dak's offensive personnel is virtually perfect. Romo played with craptastic offensive lines most every year. He made multimillionaires out of spares like Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin, Laurent Robinson, Sam Hurd, and even made a superstar out of non-superstar Dez Bryant.

Dak doesn't make players better like that. He just keeps the bus between the lines when they're all present and accounted for. A couple of injuries, and he gets beat by the Jets.
Fixed it.

The dumbest thing about these debates is people comparing Romo in his prime to a guy that's now in his 4th year.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Almost none on the offensive line until the very end. (And pro bowls mean nothing; only all-pro matters.) That's why he was broken in half. And the others were pro bowlers BECAUSE of Romo in most cases. Dez was not a pro bowler without Romo. Jason Witten might even not be without the sublime relationship he had with Romo.

And Romo was better after TO left than during that time.

Did you just say Witten would not have been a pro bowler if not for Romo?

That is lunacy.

Witten is a hall of famer. Don’t be ridiculous.

erod

Reaction score
Fixed it.

The dumbest thing about these debates is people comparing Romo in his prime to a guy that's now in his 4th year.

No, the dumbest thing is to compare them at all. They're completely different quarterbacks.

I am completely fine with Dak here as long as we stack the offense like this continuously. The problem is, paying him $35 million a year is going to severely hamper that, and Dak is going to have to win games by himself like Romo did. That's just not in Dak's game.

408Cowboy

Reaction score

That is lunacy.

Somehow I missed that. @erod has no credibility on anything football related after that. Besides his flip flopping nature that's just lunacy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've watched every game of both Dak and Romo's careers. How would you propose that we measure accuracy if not with basic stats (completion % along with Y/A) nor advanced stats (completion % above expectation, tight window throws, etc)? If the answer is "teh eye test" then there is no discussion to be had.

I can say Mahomes is accurate by my eye. You can say he isn't. And that's that. Pointless discussion.
LMAO as if stats doesn't get the same pointless discussion because they'll get argued here as well.

I don't know why the two need to be compared anymore than Staubach and Aikman. Danny White was a damned good passer but he doesn't get mentioned in comparisons either.

I don't care which is better because Romo's retired and Prescott's going to be the QB1. Why do we need to make excuses for Romo not getting it done? White didn't either and he had more opportunities. For some strange reason, some want to separate the QB from the team and that cannot be done. Comparing stats from different teams does what?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
This again!?!

Why don't we just argue over comparisons of Staubach and Danny White?
Or White and Gary Hogeboom? Or Steve Walsh and Troy Aikman?

Retorical question:
Why is it so wrong to simply appreciate both Romo and Dak on here?

Best post in the thread.

Romo was good but not great. Dak is good but not great. They have different strengths and weaknesses.

People should ask themselves this: What do you think of Romo's last contract? As a Romo fan, I think it hindered the organization. Isn't it fair to say the same thing about Dak? Isn't it possible to consider him "good but not great" and still want to see a minimized contract?

Overall the positions taken on the two players are too extreme.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Romo’s total td’s through first 4 years as starter 109

Dak 100 with still half a season to go
Passing td: 107 to 79

Most underrated QB of all time vs most underrated by @PAPPYDOG and followers

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
10 pts vs the Saints
3pts in 3 Q vs the Pack
3 Pts at the half vs the Jets.

Dak is slamming himself there Mr. congeniality.....

Yes he had a bad games, so has Tom Brady, so has Drew Brees and Rodgers. I don't know of any QB who has played in the NFL who has not had bad games. Frankly not all the mistakes in those games were on Dak. He hit Cooper in the GB game which would have been a very big play down field and he bobbles the ball right into the hands of the DB and that is Dak fault? He hit Gallup in the NY game 3 big drops that killed drives. No doubt Dak has made mistakes as well just as other QB have but his numbers are his numbers and are showing big improvement

408Cowboy

Reaction score
LMAO as if stats doesn't get the same pointless discussion because they'll get argued here as well.

I don't know why the two need to be compared anymore than Staubach and Aikman. Danny White was a damned good passer but he doesn't get mentioned in comparisons either.

I don't care which is better because Romo's retired and Prescott's going to be the QB1. Why do we need to make excuses for Romo not getting it done? White didn't either and he had more opportunities. For some strange reason, some want to separate the QB from the team and that cannot be done. Comparing stats from different teams does what?
:bow:

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
The problem that many Dak and Romo haters/homers have is they always think that anyone who disagrees about the one they prefer is basing their opinions on stats or other quarterback attributes.

That's just not the case for most people and many of them do not even realize it themselves.

Romo was a great quarterback. He got better as he got older until his health became an issue.

Dak started out great, then declined a little and has been playing much better this year.

The bottom line though? None of that matters. It does not matter who was/is better. It does not matter whose stats were better.

What matters is winning playoff games and Super Bowls. As great as Romo was, we all know that his teams did not make it to the NFC championship much less the Super Bowl.

It doesn't matter if it was his fault or the defense's fault. It does not matter if the other team the Cowboys lost to in the playoffs was peaking at the right time.

The only thing that matters is winning. Winning in the regular season to get to the playoffs, winning playoff games to get the Super Bowl, and then winning a Super Bowl.

There are a lot of great quarterbacks who never won a Super Bowl and there are several average or worse quarterbacks who have.

Cowboys fans will always judge the Cowboys quarterbacks on post-season success.

In the end, Romo had very little post-season success and his career is over. Meaning, that book is closed and what he won is all he will ever win.

Dak may never be Romo or may be way better than Romo. None of that matters.

The only thing that matters is if Dak helps the Cowboys win Super Bowls. Otherwise, we'll be comparing Romo and Dak to the next franchise quarterback in a few years while hoping that one leads the Cowboys to a Super Bowl win.

Great post this should be a sticky
Just naming some of the great quarterbacks without wining a SB: Jim Kelly,Dan Marino,Fran Tarkenton,Warren Moon,Dan Fouts,Sonny Jurgensen, and so many

erod

Reaction score

That is lunacy.

I said "might."

NFL history is littered with guys that could have been all-time great players if not for bad situations. If Witten had to play with Quincy, Hutchinson, Henson, Cassel, Weeden.....he wouldn't have reached the status as an all-timer that he has.

Curt Warner, Ricky Bell, Fred Taylor, Archie Manning, Steve Bartkowski.....these guys should be lauded as all-timers, but they were stuck in football hell.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, the dumbest thing is to compare them at all. They're completely different quarterbacks.

I am completely fine with Dak here as long as we stack the offense like this continuously. The problem is, paying him $35 million a year is going to severely hamper that, and Dak is going to have to win games by himself like Romo did. That's just not in Dak's game.
It's not yet but he's improved enough this year for me to think he might get there.

And Romo lost games too. I can't point to a lot of games that I would say Prescott has lost. Even in the playoff losses, I don't hang that on him and he did bring the team back against GB and NYJ.

I agree about making the comparisons and don't even get the purpose of that but Prescott's durability and ability to run trumps Romo's Houdini act and let's not forget how long it took Romo to become a proficient defense reader.

erod

Reaction score
Somehow I missed that. @erod has no credibility on anything football related after that. Besides his flip flopping nature that's just lunacy.
Actually, if you'd listen, you might learn something instead of running with the mindless lemmings. But I expect you won't, so carry on.

I can't force you to learn football.

IheartRomo

Reaction score

I think you missed the earlier part of the discussion. I wasn't comparing Dak and Romo's stats (pointless across eras without adjusting for inflation). Erod stated that we cannot suggest that Dak is accurate based on statistics. I posed the question to him wondering how then would he measure a quarterback's accuracy? There is no easier way to argue that your long-held belief (Dak is horrific) that is currently on shaky ground remains accurate than discounting any and all measurables lol.

erod

Reaction score
It's not yet but he's improved enough this year for me to think he might get there.

And Romo lost games too. I can't point to a lot of games that I would say Prescott has lost. Even in the playoff losses, I don't hang that on him and he did bring the team back against GB and NYJ.

I agree about making the comparisons and don't even get the purpose of that but Prescott's durability and ability to run trumps Romo's Houdini act and let's not forget how long it took Romo to become a proficient defense reader.

You don't get beat by Teddy Bridewater with superior talent on your team.

You don't fall down, 31-3, at home to a Packers team with a horrible secondary.

You don't get beat by the ding-dong Jets, who got beat 33-0 the next week.

Dak has to prove that he can win big games against really good teams, even if he's missing a couple key players.

Other quarterbacks do it all the time. Rodgers rolled with literally nothing at wide receiver against us.

Romo made Terrance Williams a legitimate threat with great production. The same with other throwaway wide receivers. Amari Cooper goes down, and Dak looks like he's never played a game before.

He has to carry the water by himself sometimes, and so far, he just can't.