Romo vs White

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Roger had SICK pocket presence, so that is totally up for debate. As for IQ, Roger Staubach is the wealthiest football player of ALL TIME due to his ability to run his businesses outside of football. I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. :thumbup:
He did have sick pocket presence but so did Romo. For every play Roger eluded pressure, I can give you a play where Romo did as well (The JJ Watt and Seattle plays come to mind).

As far as IQ, i meant as in the game of football. Defensive schemes have changed so much since the 70s.

I will give you this one though, as im young and didnt really see Roger play :rolleyes: I guess im just showing my generational bias :muttley:

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
He did have sick pocket presence but so did Romo. For every play Roger eluded pressure, I can give you a play where Romo did as well (The JJ Watt and Seattle plays come to mind).

As far as IQ, i meant as in the game of football. Defensive schemes have changed so much since the 70s.

I will give you this one though, as im young and didnt really see Roger play :rolleyes: I guess im just showing my generational bias :muttley:
He also threw the pick at the most inopportune times. I don't remember Roger ever doing that.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I hear you but I can tell you this for certain, I was lucky enough to watch both guys play their entire career. Rogers pocket presence was every bit as good as Tony's. At any rate, we are lucky to have had both of them as part of our teams history.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Well we know Rogers IQ in the playoffs (so people have said here). We don't know what Romo's could have been, since he barely played in them.
I do think Tony could have been better in the playoffs if he would have had a more balanced team. That convinced me in 2014 because I think that was his best playoff game. But I can't go by what could have been only by what was. I think Tony was good enough to win a SB but unfortunately he never did.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Didnt Roger throw a pick in the 4th Qtr vs Pittsburgh in SB10 when they were down 12-10?

Sounds to me that you just dont like Romo :rolleyes:
I also can point to many other big playoff games where he brought us back. Yea picks will happen but Romo did it all the time in big games. Of course the problem with Romo is he didn't play in that many big games . Roger's final game against the Deadskins in 1979 was a classic. That's where a QB builds his legend. Do I think Romo was hampered some on his teams? Sure. He played for lousy coaches, had a meddling owner that wouldn't fix the OL and get him a RB until it was too late. But you can only judge a QB by what he has done. As for hating him. I don't hate him. I like him although I have been very judgemental against him in the past. I think he belongs in the ROH and I already said I think he's an overall better QB than Eli. The Cowboys were lucky to have him. I just think the Cowboys wasted his career.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
And one more thing about Tony. He kept us relevant in very bad times. He was about the only person worth watching for the Cowboys in a lot of those years. That was proven 2 years ago when nobody could win a game without him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He also threw the pick at the most inopportune times. I don't remember Roger ever doing that.
Roger >> Romo...and almost anyone.
He was amazing.

But Romo actually threw LESS late game 4th qtr picks than Roger....and Aikman. Also, those guys were in far less situations where they had to come back due to having infinitely better teams around them.

The narrative just eventually grew so strong for Romo over time, due to some occasional, but highly visit ints, that even if we went very long periods not doing anything like that (and he did) , people would say "told you so" when he would rarely finally do it again.
Just how it was.
It was what it was. Life isn't always fair and Romo did make his won bed in some cases.

Great player though, who unfortunately was peaking when his body was giving way...and when the team was finally getting legit again.
History now.

Hopefully the playoff stuff goes way better for Dak.
He certainly has a better core young team going forward and the personal skill and intangibles to pull it off.
:flagwave:

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I also can point to many other big playoff games where he brought us back. Yea picks will happen but Romo did it all the time in big games. Of course the problem with Romo is he didn't play in that many big games . Roger's final game against the Deadskins in 1979 was a classic. That's where a QB builds his legend. Do I think Romo was hampered some on his teams? Sure. He played for lousy coaches, had a meddling owner that wouldn't fix the OL and get him a RB until it was too late. But you can only judge a QB by what he has done. As for hating him. I don't hate him. I like him although I have been very judgemental against him in the past. I think he belongs in the ROH and I already said I think he's an overall better QB than Eli. The Cowboys were lucky to have him. I just think the Cowboys wasted his career.
Youre shifting the argument though. Roger has thrown ints in big games just as Tony did. You said you dont remember Roger ever doing that, and I gave you an example.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
At the end of a football game, how does one determine the winner?

A. The team where the quarterback threw the least interceptions?
B. The team whose quarterback threw the most completions?
3. The team whose quarterback threw for the most yards.
► The team where their quarterback had the most moxie?
E. The team who scored the most points?

Now some will say there is a major portion of this equation left out of this questionnaire. Where is the defensive in this win? What are the special circumstances which led to the win? Yet the very nature of holding Romo up as the best because he had the most stats is exactly how these responses grades Romo, and how this board generally does business, without a hint of logic that he was on the team that lost, and touched the ball more than anyone else.

I always have to include this in posts like these since the rabble see critical thinking as lack of allegiance.

I liked Romo. I liked White.

However, I don't overlook his mistakes that cost games, and sometimes pivotal games. Just like Danny White's fumble against the 49ers that would have negated "The Catch," ended the Joe Montana legend before it started, and in all likelihood added another Super Bowl Win for Tom Landry and this team by beating Cincinnati.

Hence, I hold White responsible for that loss as I do Romo in the losses where he threw interceptions that sealed the game for the opponent in games where the season moves forward, or ends any hope of a chance at the trophy.

So at the end of the day, for me, both of these guys led some entertaining football during their tenure as the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.

But in the end the teams lost under their leadership and no amount of stats will assuage that fact. And since the only stat that has true meaning is the final score of the final game (Championship), all other stats are a waste of time.

Winners hoist trophies and get a ring.

Non-winners rely on stats.

So, these two guys are the same to me. Quarterbacks that couldn't get it done when it counted.

***** By the way. The answer to my question here is E. *****

Last edited:

visionary

Reaction score
In a throwing era, White by a mile. A guy who went to 3 straight NFC championship games is a winner, IMO. If all the QBs back then, including Aikman were allowed to fling the ball around like Romo, they would have set unbreakable records.

Agreed
I like Romo but he shrunk in the biggest moments
I can't vote for a guy who won 2 playoff games in his entire career

cej757

Reaction score
And one more thing about Tony. He kept us relevant in very bad times. He was about the only person worth watching for the Cowboys in a lot of those years. That was proven 2 years ago when nobody could win a game without him.

Maybe if Romo would've dedicated himself to getting his body in tip top shape he wouldn't have had the injuries later in his career. To me his lack of dedication to working out and his gunslinger mentality makes me go with Danny White. I still didn't think going all in on 4th and 2 to Dez was worth it in that situation. Beasley going across the middle would've been the safer throw against Green Bay.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe if Romo would've dedicated himself to getting his body in tip top shape he wouldn't have had the injuries later in his career. To me his lack of dedication to working out and his gunslinger mentality.........

This is a fair argument/point that isn't discussed nearly as much as it could be.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Youre shifting the argument though. Roger has thrown ints in big games just as Tony did. You said you dont remember Roger ever doing that, and I gave you an example.
Maybe I should have said Roger came threw in the clutch more than Tony in big games. It wasn't just interceptions it was when they happened when it involved Tony. Anyway it's a mute point. Nobody's changing anybody's opinion. For fans who grew up with Tony, they'll like him best. I was a kid when Roger was playing so I'll always favor him. At least nobody is putting a vote for Quincy or Chad. lol

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Romo easily

C6a2SluUYAEc2gl.jpg

Bad luck (No catch call) and front office failures led to the lack of team success in the Romo era.

Bingo!

Thread could've ended right here - but it's a forum and everybody has an opinion - that's what we're here for.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
The hardware makes the argument hard. I think it's clear that Romo was better than White. I think the question should be Romo vs Aikman for the #2 spot. I feel Romo was a better QB than Troy. I know that's not a popular opinion because of the 3 rings that Troy wears... Romo never played on a team as talented as Troy had over those 5 years or so. Aikman also never carried a poor team the way Romo did.

Status
Not open for further replies.