Romo worshipers, don't bust an artery, but what if the Cowboys are 9-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cej757

Reaction score
Only QB in the league I'd take straight up over Romo is Rodgers, and I'd even hesitate to do that because I want to see Romo win more than I do Rodgers. So unless Weeden is on par with Rodgers (same age too), the answer to your question is No.

I would take Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Ben Rothlisberger and Probably Cam Newton. Romo is getting older and his body is breaking down. I think either one of these qb's could come here and we would be Super Bowl contenders. I wouldn't take Brady just because I would hate to root for him.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So it's the individual and not the topic?
The post itself is stupid.

However, it makes it more stupid because of the individuals. I can't speak for others. I have NO confidence that Weeden can play well, let alone play as well as Romo. I have no belief that Weeden can elevate the QB position. I just pray he can tread water and keep the team from completely tanking.

So it's not that Romo cant be outplayed. It's that Weeden won't be the guy to do it.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
So it's the individual and not the topic?

it's the singer not the song?

it's not as if "does the starter come back if the backup does well" has never been asked before. on it's own it's a valid, if not worn out, question.

as he asked it, it's designed to be exactly what it is.

the stupidest thing said this week on the internet.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

However, it makes it more stupid because of the individuals. I can't speak for others. I have NO confidence that Weeden can play well, let alone play as well as Romo. I have no belief that Weeden can elevate the QB position. I just pray he can tread water and keep the team from completely tanking.

So it's not that Romo cant be outplayed. It's that Weeden won't be the guy to do it.

So much for hypotheticals. LOL!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
it's the singer not the song?

it's not as if "does the starter come back if the backup does well" has never been asked before. on it's own it's a valid, if not worn out, question.

as he asked it, it's designed to be exactly what it is.

the stupidest thing said this week on the internet.

You do know we have new choir members or maybe some members absent when that old familiar song was being sung? ;)

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
You do know we have new choir members or maybe some members absent when that old familiar song was being sung? ;)

and it's not as if that question has never been asked outside a cowboys forum.

regardless the manner in which he went about it got him likely exactly what he was actually after. yay him.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I would take Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Ben Rothlisberger and Probably Cam Newton. Romo is getting older and his body is breaking down. I think either one of these qb's could come here and we would be Super Bowl contenders. I wouldn't take Brady just because I would hate to root for him.

Well, I meant just this season alone, the only QB I'd take over Romo is Rodgers. Not even Brady. I'd be tempted to trade him straight up for a QB 10 years younger because it'll be better in the long run, but even that would probably hurt us in the short run. I don't see Luck coming in this season and doing better than Romo, and I don't see a 38 year old Brady coming in this season and doing better than Romo without Belichick next to him.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, Weeden outplayed Romo last week so anything is possible:huh:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
and it's not as if that question has never been asked outside a cowboys forum.

regardless the manner in which he went about it got him likely exactly what he was actually after. yay him.

I thought it was an interesting question, hypothetically speaking. Oh well. ... :)

Eanwen

Reaction score
Yes, I'm about to commit blasphemy.....

Just imagine that the Cowboys are 9-1, perhaps even 10-0, by the time Tony Romo can get back on the field. Brandon Weeden is the top rated QB in the league, the Cowboys have the #1 offense and they are on a roll, an inevitable collision course with Super Bowl 5X.

Their next game is Thanksgiving against the Carolina Panthers, 8-2, and the 2nd best record in the NFC behind the Cowboys. Homefield advantage for the playoffs could very well depend on the outcome of this game.

Weeden's rise has been the story of this season....

Do you sit him and start Tony Romo, fresh from an injury, his ability to perform at his typical level in question?

Suppose Weeden continues to excel?

Notice, I never said that Tony Romo would perform poorly, I never said that he wouldn't perform like an All Pro future Hall o Famer. I'm just suggesting that his abilities would be unknown due to the effects of the injury, still not completely healed, he could perhaps be a tad rusty.

If Weeden leads the Cowboys to a Super Bowl, heck, just mentioning the possibility.....

Would that be a good thing or a bad thing for you Romo worshipers.

And am I officially a hater for daring to dream that Weeden might actually perform at a very high level with this offense?

Let the paranoid condemnation begin.....
If Weeden is playing great there's no need to rush Romo. Personally I believe that Buerlien (sp) should have started and finished that playoff game against the Lions back in the 90s (I think he was the backup that year).

Having said that I'm really annoyed that you started this thread by poisoning the well. I don't know why you or others do this but I take it as a sign that the op doesn't really want a true discussion.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Well, I meant just this season alone, the only QB I'd take over Romo is Rodgers. Not even Brady. I'd be tempted to trade him straight up for a QB 10 years younger because it'll be better in the long run, but even that would probably hurt us in the short run. I don't see Luck coming in this season and doing better than Romo, and I don't see a 38 year old Brady coming in this season and doing better than Romo without Belichick next to him.

Brady would KILL behind this offensive line and these receivers.
I really soured on Brady because of deflate gate. But I have to give him his props. The guy can BALL! I don't think even Rodgers is playing better than he is today.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I thought it was an interesting question, hypothetically speaking. Oh well. ... :)

if an eagle is injured and can no longer fly, what will we ever do if the wings we stuck on the turtle and shot him out a huge slingshot make him perform and fly better than that eagle ever could?

has a better chance of happening.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
[quote="John813, post: 6295595, member: 4379"
There was once a time where OJ produced some quality posts.[/quote]

Aah yes, it was Optical Jim.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If Weeden is playing great there's no need to rush Romo. Personally I believe that Buerlien (sp) should have started and finished that playoff game against the Lions back in the 90s (I think he was the backup that year).

Having said that I'm really annoyed that you started this thread by poisoning the well. I don't know why you or others do this but I take it as a sign that the op doesn't really want a true discussion.

The Cowboys defense in 91 was papier-mache that year. I doubt even a healthy Aikman would have helped. We were still starting Issac Holt in the secondary, and he was a Vikings castaway, whom they thought would be talent enough for Dallas NOT to use one of those first-round draft choices tied to the Herschel Walker trade. :lmao:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
if an eagle is injured and can no longer fly, what will we ever do if the wings we stuck on the turtle and shot him out a huge slingshot make him perform and fly better than that eagle ever could?

has a better chance of happening.

Well, as they say, in the realm of fantasy, anything can happen. :D

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Not going to discourage what if threads.....mostly. I think the idea of Weeden leading us to 10-0 or 9-1 is very unlikely as I do Romo as well. It's just hard to do that in this league of parity and salary cap. It would be more likely for Romo to do it looking at the situation now. Weeden hasn't shown anything to warrant the idea.....at least not yet.

Just for speculation it's ok. I can think of three situations where a QB came off the bench and performed as well or better than the starter. I'm sure there are more. Earl Morrall replaced Johnny Unitas and led the Colts to SB III after a 13-1 season. He led the 72 Fins to the SB in a perfect season. Griese did play in the AFCCG and SB. Jim Plunckett won two SBs with the Raiders replacing the starting QB. Steve Young won an MVP as a replacement for Montana and Bono.

So Weeden isn't in that class of QB although all three were considered busts or backups at one time.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tom Brady was a damn good quarterback in waiting. Brady slipped through the cracks and was drafted way too low. He seized his opportunity and the rest is history. Some of his history is mired in questionable team activities but that's a story for The New England Defense League to fight another day.

Steve Young's road was rougher. He shined at BYU, so much so that the USFL made him star signing. Then the USFL folded and Young found himself in the NFL as a Buccaneers. Yep. The Buccaneers. Bill Walsh knew a thing or two about quarterbacks and trade for him. His opportunity rolled around and deja vu.

Perhaps Brady and Young were inserted into what if scenarios when their backup-turned-starter story came true. I can kinda see how those what ifs got batted around. The what if Weeden scenario? That scenario hungers for more supporting info. Shoot, it's starving.

HoustonSucks

Reaction score

The post is stupid and the title is offensive. "Romo Worshippers"? So if we stand 100 percent behind our QB, and make no mistake, Romo is my favorite player because of a combination of his Jedi play, his skills, his brain, his story, and the kind of person and leader that he is, then we are "worshippers?" Which insinuates we care more about one player than the team. NOT the case. Also insinuates we blind to his foilbles which is NOT the case. It's NOT BLACK OR WHITE. It drives me insane that people jump from A to Z with every letter in between.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yeah because Weeden is the only QB to ever miss a wide open receiver.

Missed a wide open receiver, then threw the ball straight to the safety. Watch the damn play again, he didn't even go through his reads, he stared Witten down and threw it.

But let me guess, you were a fan of his in college?

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
:huh::huh::huh:
Mods, can this guy have his girlfriend take over his account? Also, can we we get some donations of huevos to him.:facepalm:

Really? Did your girlfriend elaborate on Mo too? I'd love to hear that.

Ha! Muck you didn't get it and it's okay - all my fault and should've been a little more direct.

The reason I wrote that post was because the original poster has always banged on Romo and he used his wife's opinion of Romo to couch his own. I tried to expose him with my own fake scenario with my own fake Romo loving girlfriend who took the complete opposite view of "his wife" but obviously I failed miserably.

As you may know (or maybe not) I've had numerous battles over the years in here in regards to Tony - thank god they're almost a thing of the past.

I take full responsibility for the fail - my bad! But - if you happen to know a hot girl who defends Romo in sports bars let me know. I'd like to team up with her!

Status
Not open for further replies.