Twitter: Ron Leary wants to return

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Today's Ron Leary is not better than Joe Looney, at least not healthwise and also due to age. Plus, Looney can play both Guard and Center very well. That puts Looney above Leary.

Then we've got the two young stud Guards in Connor Williams and Connor McGovern. Plus, add in veteran Xavier Su'a-Filo. Then add in their backups in Cody Wichmann and Adam Redmond. All of them are young and definitely much younger and healthier than Ron Leary.

I don't see how Coach McCarthy would want to bring back an old, over the hill, constant knee injured Guard back to the Cowboys over any of the much younger and healthier Guards we currently have?

Maybe because most of those guards yiu listed are free agents and no longer on the team?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No state tax in Texas? And has a home here. And on his last leg? He'll sign cheap.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PFF of 58.4.

That don't sound good. 30 years old with declining performance.

For comparison, XSF is PFF of 60 and 29 years old. Similar player in terms of strengths and weaknesses, with better numbers and more recent relations.

Leary doesn't sound like a hot property anymore.

Question is, do they cost the same amount at this point?

glimmerman

Reaction score
If he can pass the drills and exam then for the right price I would do it. Was a drop off when he left. Will be in a back up role. Rotate i him in.

Aven8

Reaction score
How much is Joe Looney.. That’s what I want to know.

This is the dude that should be starting! I hope Philbin isn’t like Columbo and realizes this is not a backup.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
No. This team handles the Former player angle weird here. After the whole Witten fiasco, no thanks.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I didn't know you could summarize this place in one sentence but you just did. "Was like..wow that's eye opening"
Agreed. It's like too many fans are overly concerned with contracts. I wouldn't be terribly upset if professional sports leagues quit providing contract data to the public and kept it all internal.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Leary has no reason not to want to return, although the Cowboys might. He might likely command a more generous contract that what the C'boys would be likely to absorb. The issue as to whether he'd be a starter or a backup would surely come into the picture if and when he were being seriously considered to join the team. Would the two Connors, be candidates to be the starters or would it be Leary instead? Nobody really knows just yet. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
LOL ...some cowboys fans here are such a marvel.

lets see we've already spent a 2nd rounder on a OG, ... we've already spent a 3rd rd pick on another Conner at OG ... so we've clearly gonna be invested in both of those young Conner guys for the duration of their current rookie contracts.

Plus the Cowboys also have investments in younger backups such as Brandon Knight and Andy Redmon. ho they like.
and considering what the FA market will be for Looney and Sua Filo, they could always consider re-signing and bringing them back as well,

but yet delusional Cowboys fans here want to bring back a 30-age+ OG who still battles issues with his wheels, and injuries as he has much of his career. and Broncos now discovered
that he wasn't worth the big contract they dished out to him (which Cowboys did know of Leary and allowed him to depart) and now Broncos want to go a different direction.

quickccc

Reaction score
Start McGovern, slide Williams over and let Fleming walk.

i say Let the Conner battle play out first
- I'm not for just handing McGovern the starting job without him competiting see what he brings and proving his worth and let him earn
that starting job.