Twitter: Ron Leary wants to return

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Connor = Clay Shiver 2.0
tunahelper =
222px-Butt-head_BevisandButtHead.png

quickccc

Reaction score
Easily one of our biggest mistakes in the past decade... Should have never let him go.

(sigh) .. and if Cowboys had gave him the big contract that Denver did... ?
and just what has Leary proved in Denver since he departed in FA there ? Injury riddled career and still just an average OG.

and that's one of the issues fans and even the Cowboys team with certain players still have..... not willing to let these declining average players go.

jjktkk

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Leary back, but the Cowboys have invested in the guard position in the draft with the Conners the past few years, so I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry and friends might want to see what the new OL coach can do with the youngsters.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Start McGovern, slide Williams over and let Fleming walk.

Yes. Let's have 2 guys who've never played their positions or even had much time practicing there at the pro level be the plan.

Let's move Martin to RT and La'el to LT while were making such great decisions too!

quickccc

Reaction score
I miss Leary, definitely took a hit with him out the lineup. Is he anywhere near the same player though? Don't need a Jaylon Smith playing offense.

LOL .. ya'll act like the guy was a pro bowler. Not like he was a Dez Bryant.
Leary had one solid (finally healthy) year in 2016, and ya'll act like it was the Mavs letting center Tyson Chandler go.

InTheZone

Reaction score
LOL .. ya'll act like the guy was a pro bowler. Not like he was a Dez Bryant.
Leary had one solid (finally healthy) year in 2016, and ya'll act like it was the Mavs letting center Tyson Chandler go.
Forgetting 2013 and 2014 much?

ondaedg

Reaction score
Today's Ron Leary is not better than Joe Looney, at least not healthwise and also due to age. Plus, Looney can play both Guard and Center very well. That puts Looney above Leary.

Then we've got the two young stud Guards in Connor Williams and Connor McGovern. Plus, add in veteran Xavier Su'a-Filo. Then add in their backups in Cody Wichmann and Adam Redmond. All of them are young and definitely much younger and healthier than Ron Leary.

I don't see how Coach McCarthy would want to bring back an old, over the hill, constant knee injured Guard back to the Cowboys over any of the much younger and healthier Guards we currently have?

Heh when did the Connor boys become studs?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Fisher is asking the wrong question.

Is Leary's knee in sound condition or not? With Leary it's all about his health.

If he is healthy, then it becomes about money. Is he willing to play for what the Cowboys will offer?

Sure any team could use a tough-guy bully at OG. But Leary isn't going to be handed a spot on the 53 because he is a former Cowboy.
I would definitely talk to him.

G is a problem position for us and depth is needed. We have no depth as several guys that backed up may not resign.

Leary found out playing on other OLs is hazardous to his health. He was having to be the leader of his OL becuz of his contract.

Without help like he has in Dallas..that ain't easy.

Rayman70

Reaction score
LEARY LOVES THOSE JERRY BUCKS AND IS EYEING RETIREMENT. EASY PASS. Buyer beware. Dude has bad knees.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another player that was undervalued by posters until they saw the heart and soul of the OL. He set the tone for the OL, he was Mr. Nasty and it rubbed off. Don't know his health but I loved his attitude on the line. "Hey Ronnie, play's over, you can stop pounding on that guy and get back in the huddle". He didn't have the naturel talent that some of the others have but he made up for that with his attitude.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Yes. Let's have 2 guys who've never played their positions or even had much time practicing there at the pro level be the plan.

Let's move Martin to RT and La'el to LT while were making such great decisions too!
That example of his is probably the way it pans out. Williams is rehabbing his knee so McGovern will likely be the starter through camp. If that works out moving Williams back to tackle may not be a bad idea.