Twitter: Ron Leary wants to return

InTheZone

Reaction score
.. but to get him back here because fans are so reminiscence and determined on thinking he's' the same one year wonder 2016 Leary, .... Geez. :huh:
just wondering why you keep bringing up that year. He was a key piece in 2013 and 2014 as well. It wasn't just 2016.

No is is disagreeing on not bringing him in if he's not up to par, but this one year wonder 2016 thing, not sure why you're stuck on that.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
just wondering why you keep bringing up that year. He was a key piece in 2013 and 2014 as well. It wasn't just 2016.

No is is disagreeing on not bringing him in if he's not up to par, but this one year wonder 2016 thing, not sure why you're stuck on that.
Just for the record, Ron Leary hasn’t played a full season without injury since he played all 16 for us in 2013. He’s missed a whopping 35 games since 2014. Why would a 30 something year old OL with a ton of injury mileage on him be taking up a roster spot...even as a backup?

quickccc

Reaction score

Leary wasn't playing 2013/2014 like he did in 2016 - overall he's been just decent.. serviceable..,while you guys seem to act like he's was a pro bowler.
and it's not like Leary is Ron Stone, who came in here as a top notch reserve OG but ended up being an eventual Pro Bowl OG after he departed and became a full time starter elsewhere Niner ?)

A key piece is Zack Martin. That's a cornerstone core of your OL, that's a Pro bowler... that's a possible Hall of Famer... that's a key piece. If he were a key piece coming off a solid year
the Cowboys would have quickly locked him up long term for years to come.

He easily had his lone, stand out year by far in 2016, and even then he wasn't the initial starter at LG, starting out that year- when he subbed in for an injured Lael Collins (toe)
That said, it's clear some of you think he's underrated - while I believe you guys are overrating him based how you're raving on with him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dez is a good dude and I wish him nothing but the best. But I disagree that he would be a “perfect addition” to this team as he has stated recently. Injuries have kept him from playing in this league since 2017, and he missed 10 of 32 games due to injuries between 2015-16.

Dez had 132 targets in 2017 (his final season) but only caught 52% of those targets. That’s not great for an NFL WR. Compare that to someone like the saints Michael Thomas with an 80% target- catch rate. Last year, both Amari Cooper and Randle Cobb had target to catch % of 66%. Michael Gallup was about 60%. I just don’t see Dez as being that much of an upgrade and at age 31 with a long injury history...I would rather move on. But again, I like Dez and wish him well.
It would not hurt anyone to sign Dez to the 90 man team and see what he can do in training camp and preseason, would it?

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
I heard Broaddus break down a review of Leary today. During the segment on 105.3 they mentioned a scenario that kind of sounded decent to me. If Leary is still a rock solid guard, an idea was kicked around on trading Williams. Pick up a 4th for him. Maybe a 5th. Have McGovern be our understudy to backup at center and guard. Or Looney if he kept around.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Question is, do they cost the same amount at this point?

It does always come down to money. I'm just disappointed that it doesn't look like Leary makes any material difference. Looks like he'd be competing for a backup or backup of a backup spot. There are plenty of those guys. Who cares?

It doesn't look like he's any threat to compete for starting LG. He's not going to upgrade our starters. So, meh.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you're saying Randall Cobb is better than Dez right now?
Yes. Knows route trees and better shape physically. Dez isn't the same player he used to be.
But Dez is a beast, strong on those 50/50 balls in the redzone.
Maybe 4 or 5 years ago.
It would not hurt anyone to sign Dez to the 90 man team and see what he can do in training camp and preseason, would it?
Yes actually it would. The media crush would be overwhelming. Dez drama every day. It would be a HUGE distraction. All for a player that can't make the 53 man roster. You think McCarthy would sign up for that as a new HC? No thanks.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I don't know why this myth is still making the rounds. Williams was pretty solid last year.
Leary and Cooper had signficantly better seasons than Williams and we literally got both of them off the street.

Williams literally couldn't finish the year because he ended the season for the 3rd straight year needing knee surgery. Took him 25 starts just to get a game grade of at least 70 as well......

Being made of glass and performing below average is not "solid". I understand the hate on him is a little annoying but let's be real, he's extremely injury prone and playing out of position.

Best bet is move him to swing tackle and save 5 million on the cap by letting Cam Fleming walk. Would save cap, put less strain on Williams body since he won't be a full time starter, and we can see him at his more natural position

Last edited:

chagus

Reaction score
As cool as Dez and Leary coming back?! Or as cool as your uncreative, worn out one liner? What’s next, “you must be really fun at parties”?

LOL!

Worn out, huh? Didnt realize i used that line so often. My bad, homie. I'll go with GREAT STORY from hear on out... just to shake things up.

I just poke fun at debbie downer, negative replies is all. No need to go on the offensive. One team.. one goal. Plus, i dont think adding some cheap seasoned vets is really such a WRETCHED, HORRIBLE, team disabling idea. Relax.

chagus

Reaction score
I dont understand the negative reaction to the idea of Leary coming in to compete. If he sucks at camp... done. If not... its an addition as a backup to an already great o-line. Whats so wrong with this line of thinking? Its as tho some folks here want 1st rd picks at EVERY position. Haha!!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes. Knows route trees and better shape physically. Dez isn't the same player he used to be.

Maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

Yes actually it would. The media crush would be overwhelming. Dez drama every day. It would be a HUGE distraction. All for a player that can't make the 53 man roster. You think McCarthy would sign up for that as a new HC? No thanks.
BDC, you make several good points with the biggest (to me) being how Dez would be a huge media distraction. I still say it wouldn't hurt to see how Dez performs in training camp and see what he still has in him just in case Cooper or Cobb go down with injury. I don't trust our backup WRs.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Agreed, BH, but Dez is actually looking pretty good, in much better shape and fully healed from his torn achilles.

We must be seeing completely different things in these videos

I see an old guy without any burst who isn’t even running a route and is avoiding any type of camera shot that will show that his speed is completely gone and he can’t make a hard cut.

these little 20 yard turn and catch “drills” that Dez is releasing are pure propaganda.

mince he actually has a clock put on him or he runs more than 20 yards it might merit our attention.

either of our previous #88’s could do what Dez is doing even though they are 20-30 years older

Rayman70

Reaction score
just for the record, I am not a proponent of bringing Dez back. I think that ship sailed years ago.

Rayman70

Reaction score
How do you know Dez can not play in the slot or run decent routes? Maybe he has worked on and improved his route running? Why not bring him in and find out during training camp and preseason? It won't hurt the team.
because we had him here and he wasn't very good at those things.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we have to see how it plays out with Williams,..
remember Lael Collins also has had his speed bump learning issues too.
I always hear fans criticizing Williams' mistakes, but never praise him when he has solid stand out games (ala vs Aaron Donald in playoffs or Fletcher Cox in 2019)
I will give an honest response. WHY? Why must we have to wait and see how it plays out? This is a win now business, Careers and jobs are on the line. Just sayin.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
because we had him here and he wasn't very good at those things.
How do you know now? Have you seen him perform lately to make such a sound judgment? Isn't this what holding private workouts and possibly signing him to the 90 man team for training camp and the preseason would be for? Even Amari Cooper said he would love to see Dez brought back.

Rayman70

Reaction score
How do you know now? Have you seen him perform lately to make such a sound judgment? Isn't this what holding private workouts and possibly signing him to the 90 man team for training camp and the preseason would be for? Even Amari Cooper said he would love to see Dez brought back.
hes been out of football too long. Odds aren't good.