Twitter: Ron Leary wants to return

InTheZone

Reaction score
that's still a JAG to JAG story. Again what did Leary do in Denver after departing here for that big contract ?
he ended up being a lesser guy in Denver than what he was in Dallas. .
that's not the point of the discussion. You went from him being an average player, which he was not, to an injured player in Denver, which was anticipated by Dallas as he had a known knee condition. This was a large reason why Dallas chose not to pay him what he deserved if he was going to remain healthy. Whether or not they underrated him like yourself is another story.

Leary was definitely a key piece to our OLine prior to 2016.

If he's healthy I have no problem seeing him return at a team friendly deal like he was when he was here before. And if he does come here he should be competing for the LG position.

quickccc

Reaction score
he's hurt. He draws a lot of penalties. Both are a concern.

we have to see how it plays out with Williams,..
remember Lael Collins also has had his speed bump learning issues too.
I always hear fans criticizing Williams' mistakes, but never praise him when he has solid stand out games (ala vs Aaron Donald in playoffs or Fletcher Cox in 2019)

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed, BH, but Dez is actually looking pretty good, in much better shape and fully healed from his torn achilles.

There are at least 5-10 guys in this draft and a few FAs that are better, younger and have upside, not to mention no history. I loved Dez until about 2015 or 16 when his injuries began to pile up and the league figured out how to cover a guy who’s athletic but doesn’t run disciplined routes.

Dez may have a little left...maybe. But the ONLY reason he’s being looked at by this organization is because its leader makes emotional decisions instead of cold blooded ones. IMO this team needs to be about the future, not the past.

quickccc

Reaction score
If Patrick Mahomes is willing to vouch for Dez, why shouldn't we? Or do you simply prefer less talent on this team? Our current WRs didnt do so hot this past season. Do you prefer that, or would you be willing to bring in Dez and at least see what he can still do in training camp and preseason? It won't kill anybody to bring him in on the 90 man roster and see what he can do or not.

because with all due respect, we don't have Pat Mahomes as our QB. But more so, we've already dealt with the shananigans and "snake" drama of Dez.
Lets some other teams deal with him and all that now.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we have to see how it plays out with Williams,..
remember Lael Collins also has had his speed bump learning issues too.
I always hear fans criticizing Williams' mistakes, but never praise him when he has solid stand out games (ala vs Aaron Donald in playoffs or Fletcher Cox in 2019)
nah..I been praising him when I see a good game from him. Iits frustrating to see him get manhandled in crucial situations and draw flags that get key plays called back. It happens too often. He needs to get juiced up lol. I hear the new CBA doesn't contain clauses for substance abuse suspensions.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
There are at least 5-10 guys in this draft and a few FAs that are better, younger and have upside, not to mention no history. I loved Dez until about 2015 or 16 when his injuries began to pile up and the league figured out how to cover a guy who’s athletic but doesn’t run disciplined routes.

Dez may have a little left...maybe. But the ONLY reason he’s being looked at by this organization is because its leader makes emotional decisions instead of cold blooded ones. IMO this team needs to be about the future, not the past.
So you're saying Randall Cobb is better than Dez right now?

InTheZone

Reaction score

if Dez has kept up with conditioning and his physical abilities I don't see why he can't be a part of our future. Do we sign someone younger just because of that? Or do we draft a player instead? If Dez is still capable why not sign him and use the pick on another need? If Dez is all that we hope he can be then that should be good for us.

quickccc

Reaction score
that's not the point of the discussion. You went from him being an average player, which he was not, to an injured player in Denver, which was anticipated by Dallas as he had a known knee condition. This was a large reason why Dallas chose not to pay him what he deserved if he was going to remain healthy. Whether or not they underrated him like yourself is another story.

Leary was definitely a key piece to our OLine prior to 2016.

If he's healthy I have no problem seeing him return at a team friendly deal like he was when he was here before. And if he does come here he should be competing for the LG position.

If the Cowboys thought Leary was more than just an average player -.. he would have been re-signed to that luxury contract, after his one lone solid and healthy year in 2016.
A " key piece " is a long term basis and more than just a one year wonder.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
because with all due respect, we don't have Pat Mahomes as our QB. But more so, we've already dealt with the shananigans and "snake" drama of Dez.
Lets some other teams deal with him and all that now.
No, we don't have Mahomes (who does throw some errant passes at times...he's not Mr. Perfect), but our Dak is pretty darn good. If Dez has learned from his past sideline tantrums and willing to sign for the veteran minimum to be a part-timer, why wouldn't you want to bring him back, especially if he is better than our current backups?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
hmm..depends , Dez cannot play in the slot or run decent routes, so Cobb gets the nod there. But Dez is a beast, strong on those 50/50 balls in the redzone.
How do you know Dez can not play in the slot or run decent routes? Maybe he has worked on and improved his route running? Why not bring him in and find out during training camp and preseason? It won't hurt the team.

InTheZone

Reaction score
If the Cowboys thought Leary was more than just an average player -.. he would have been re-signed to that luxury contract, after his one lone solid and healthy year in 2016.
A " key piece " is a long term basis and more than just a one year wonder.
was not a one year wonder and I already explained why Dallas let him go. They guessed right in letting him go based on what happened in Denver. Who knows what would've happened if he remained in Dallas though

quickccc

Reaction score
hmm..depends , Dez cannot play in the slot or run decent routes, so Cobb gets the nod there. But Dez is a beast, strong on those 50/50 balls in the redzone.

and there's no signs that he'll even get back to that previous stage and being able to jump ball like the old days, coming off an Achilles injury and at his age.
Generally with that kind of serious injury, players virtually never seem to return to their previous form. (ala Eric Berry)

quickccc

Reaction score
was not a one year wonder and I already explained why Dallas let him go. They guessed right in letting him go based on what happened in Denver. Who knows what would've happened if he remained in Dallas though

" who knows what would have happened if Leary stayed in Dallas ? "
He would have still had the same rash of injuries that he hasn't been able to avoid for the mass of his career.
He would have remained a decent player with a injury riddled career. he was that before he left Dallas and he has been that during his career in Denver.

and the same reasons why you're trying to explain why Dallas let him go in FA, is all the more reason why we shouldn't be considering letting him sign up again here
- especially with him going on age 30+ and a likely backup at that, when we already have several candidates at both starters and young backups at that.

The only I could guess the Cowboys considering a Leary is at the least, could Leary replace Sua Filo (who i believe is a UFA) should he somehow get an creditable offer from another NFL team,
and take a vet minimum, for the sake of having an game experienced vet - just as they did when adding Sua Filio? ...Maybe.

But the OG Connor- bruthas aside, .. if the reports are true that they like Brandon Knight/Redmon, and the new coaches are also in on them as well, that would be all the more reason why a Leary would not seem feasible here again. Too many possible candidates with more developing potential younger players and less of a chance to make a crowded roster.
.. but to get him back here because fans are so reminiscence and determined on thinking he's' the same one year wonder 2016 Leary, .... Geez. :huh:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Probably. But I am certainly saying there are younger guys in the draft and FA that are better than both those guys in the long run.
Yes, "in the long run". But what about for now? This year? I don't believe Cobb is better than Dez, but both could contribute "right now" for this team, unlike a rookie would. Even better than this team's current backups. That's the key.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, "in the long run". But what about for now? This year? I don't believe Cobb is better than Dez, but both could contribute "right now" for this team, unlike a rookie would. Even better than this team's current backups. That's the key.
Dez is a good dude and I wish him nothing but the best. But I disagree that he would be a “perfect addition” to this team as he has stated recently. Injuries have kept him from playing in this league since 2017, and he missed 10 of 32 games due to injuries between 2015-16.

Dez had 132 targets in 2017 (his final season) but only caught 52% of those targets. That’s not great for an NFL WR. Compare that to someone like the saints Michael Thomas with an 80% target- catch rate. Last year, both Amari Cooper and Randle Cobb had target to catch % of 66%. Michael Gallup was about 60%. I just don’t see Dez as being that much of an upgrade and at age 31 with a long injury history...I would rather move on. But again, I like Dez and wish him well.