Roy Williams

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Sacamano;2262407 said:
his metrics were outstanding in '06, I think he's just rusty

That's what I read, and I'm sure they were. And I heard he absolutely absorbed the defense early in camp. It could well be rust, I'm just surprised since CB is a position you can come in and have an impact at as a rookie, generally, and his limitations don't seem to be physical.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Idgit;2262416 said:
That's what I read, and I'm sure they were. And I heard he absolutely absorbed the defense early in camp. It could well be rust, I'm just surprised since CB is a position you can come in and have an impact at as a rookie, generally, and his limitations don't seem to be physical.

I wish they would just let him play man

he's fast enough to recover when beaten, and his ball-skills are tremendous

Wade is starting to piss me off

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Rack;2262412 said:
Yet another pathetic Roy thread.

Dawkins got lit up like a christmas tree today, but I bet you don't see eagles fans bashing on him. It's cuz they know he's still a playmaker and even playmakers sometimes give up big plays.

That said, if Wade said it wasn't Roy's fault, then it wasn't Roy's fault. PERIOD.

See, that's been my issue with Roy. I don't see him as a playmaker anymore. At least not for the last 18 or so games.

I don't really mind a safety getting beat. Happens ALL the time, especially with some of these freakish tight ends.

The reason Palomalu (sp?) and Sanders get the pub is because you can so easily put together a highlight reel of their activity. Palomalu leaping over the line on Sunday night, intercepting a pass, etc; Sanders throwing his body all over the place, blowing up runners, bursting through the line to make a tackle for a loss. Roy was the king of such highlight reels early in his career. Can that be said anymore? Seriously, maybe I've just missed some of them and haven't paid attention. The playmaking Roy just seems like the Roy of yesteryear.

DMX690

Reaction score
Rack;2262412 said:

Dawkins got lit up like a christmas tree today, but I bet you don't see eagles fans bashing on him. It's cuz they know he's still a playmaker and even playmakers sometimes give up big plays.

That said, if Wade said it wasn't Roy's fault, then it wasn't Roy's fault. PERIOD.

Just because Philly fan are dumb don't mean we have to follow along. Roy Williams is a average safety. He's not a playmaker anymore, ever since Darren Woodson retired is just another safety.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
-i really hope that Roy only misses a few games and then comes back..

-he has looked much more aggressive and quicker this season.. i think tihs offseason focus and re-dedication thing was for real.. he's been showing up on the field, and he hasn't been targeted much.. i think he's played really well so far..

-that long Desean Jackson play was not his fault.. Roy released at the right time, but *newsflash!* no SS can keep up with that guy.. Roy was much closer to the play than Pacman was, and i believe the fault lies with Pac.. i was actually impressed with how close Roy was to Jackson and how fast he looked..

-Dawkins got beat over and over again tonight.. gave up huge plays.. because *newsflash!* safetys, even great ones, get beat!

-Roy is still a playmaker and is in on a ton of tackles.. even if he isn't the one making the tackle, he is in the mix.. and he's being a great team player, playing on special teams too (and doing a great job i should add-- the play he broke his arm on was a nice special teams tackle)..

-if anything, i hope Roy's absence over the next few weeks makes us realize how much he means to us.. i doubt Watkins will make all those tackles on run plays that Roy does.. and nobody has mentioned the huge facemask penalty on Watkins right after Roy left..

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;2262440 said:
-Roy is still a playmaker and is in on a ton of tackles.. even if he isn't the one making the tackle, he is in the mix.. and he's being a great team player, playing on special teams too (and doing a great job i should add-- the play he broke his arm on was a nice special teams tackle)..

I could be misguided, but I don't consider being "in the mix" on tackles a trait of playmakers. Carpenter is "in on" a lot of tackles. But he's never the guy leading the charge. Now, Roy is no Carpenter, but I think Roy has slipped from the ring leader of tacklers to just a guy "in the mix." Again, which to me, is not a sign of a playmaker unfortunately.

Nexx

Reaction score
Rack;2262412 said:

but, when was the last time Roy made a play?

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
RainMan;2262445 said:
I could be misguided, but I don't consider being "in the mix" on tackles a trait of playmakers. Carpenter is "in on" a lot of tackles. But he's never the guy leading the charge. Now, Roy is no Carpenter, but I think Roy has slipped from the ring leader of tacklers to just a guy "in the mix." Again, which to me, is not a sign of a playmaker unfortunately.
i hate to sound like Wade Phillips and Brian Stewart here, but Roy did have over 100 tackles last year..

and he has been very active and aggressive so far this season and all the preseason.. he seems to have that spark back.. he seems to be popping people when he hits again.. all i was saying was that even when he's not making the tackle, which he does a lot, he's always at least making a hit, slowing someone down for someone else, finishing someone off, etc..

Use Your Illusion

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;2262464 said:
i hate to sound like Wade Phillips and Brian Stewart here, but Roy did have over 100 tackles last year..

and he has been very active and aggressive so far this season and all the preseason.. he seems to have that spark back.. he seems to be popping people when he hits again.. all i was saying was that even when he's not making the tackle, which he does a lot, he's always at least making a hit, slowing someone down for someone else, finishing someone off, etc..

Really? I didn't even notice he was out there in the first half this week aside from getting burnt deep. And I don't remember him doing anything last week aside from when he got stiff armed by Jamal Lewis.

No big loss.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Use Your Illusion;2262537 said:
Really? I didn't even notice he was out there in the first half this week aside from getting burnt deep. And I don't remember him doing anything last week aside from when he got stiff armed by Jamal Lewis.

No big loss.
I actually agree.

Replacing Roy with some combo of Henry/Watkins/Jenkins/whatever doesn't really hint at a drastic, if any, loss of production.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Vintage;2262288 said:
Woohoo! Roy is out.

That means Mr. "I can't even beat out Keith Davis because I suck so bad" Watkins takes the place!

Championship!

(thank god brady is injured)

I never want to see anybody get hurt, not even Brady and the cheating Pats. Thanking God Brady is hurt is not cool dude, not cool at all.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
windward;2262538 said:
I actually agree.

Replacing Roy with some combo of Henry/Watkins/Jenkins/whatever doesn't really hint at a drastic, if any, loss of production.

I am afraid that I have to agree with this comment. I have not been a Roy basher and that TD tonight was on Pac, not on Roy. Pac is looking really rusty for a #5 overall pick.

Roy is a good player, just not the great player that he once was. Why does he no longer make plays? I really dont know. It could be scheme, it could be he has lost the fire since his big payday, or it could be he mentally/physically is not the same player.

The point is he is not the superstar he once was and I am thinking about value here fellas. What about trading him after the season for a 1st rounder if we can manage to get the same production out of our packages. I mean, if there is no noticable drop off in the secondary over the next month, why would we not want to dump his huge salary and get some high picks for him?

I dont know our cap situation next year, but I would trade Roy and sign the other Roy in a heartbeat in the offseason. Just something to think about.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2262543 said:
The point is he is not the superstar he once was and I am thinking about value here fellas. What about trading him after the season for a 1st rounder if we can manage to get the same production out of our packages. I mean, if there is no noticable drop off in the secondary over the next month, why would we not want to dump his huge salary and get some high picks for him?

You aren't going to get a first rounder for Roy Williams.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him dumped in the off season though. For whatever reason, he just isn't the player he used to be and he hasn't been for the last couple of years.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2262543 said:
I am afraid that I have to agree with this comment. I have not been a Roy basher and that TD tonight was on Pac, not on Roy. Pac is looking really rusty for a #5 overall pick.

Roy is a good player, just not the great player that he once was. Why does he no longer make plays? I really dont know. It could be scheme, it could be he has lost the fire since his big payday, or it could be he mentally/physically is not the same player.

I dont know our cap situation next year, but I would trade Roy and sign the other Roy in a heartbeat in the offseason. Just something to think about.
for a 1st rounder....wake up people...this is a passing league.....single high safety league.....he cannot even play in Dallas anymore because teams scheme him right off the field...you MIGHT get a 3rd for him...more likely a 4th

cml750

Reaction score
I don't blame RW for getting beat on that play but losing him is really not that big of a loss. He is not the same player he once was. Good players do not have to rededicate themselves like he did this year. He had looked a little better up to the time he got hurt but we have players who can fill his spot.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
bbailey423;2262600 said:
for a 1st rounder....wake up people...this is a passing league.....single high safety league.....he cannot even play in Dallas anymore because teams scheme him right off the field...you MIGHT get a 3rd for him...more likely a 4th

Roy will be dumped in the offseason.

As he should the guy is through in dallas

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
rexrobinson;2261527 said:
#38 looked like #31 last year on that long pass to DeSean Jackson. I wonder who blew the coverage there.

I wonder if he can still play with a cast on like a lot of lineman do.

Exactly my thoughts......but, I heard he will miss 3-4 wks

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I hate to hear that Roy Williams is injured.

However, I never thought I would say it but I just don't think it hurts us much.

You may see some type of deficiencies in the run game but I think it will be very marginal.

Smith22

Reaction score
Well the next 3-4 games should answer some questions about our depth at safety. At least we have the depth at CB to move Henry back there if needed. On another note, my man TNew had a nice quiet night. I expect he will be back starting in a game or 2.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Noticed that Roy got a broken forearm last night and will be out 3-4 weeks.

Now we know they have been pulling him for certain packages but I wonder if they slide Hamlin to his spot and Henry to Hamlin's spot now or if they just put one of the backups in his position now.