Twitter: RT Terence Steele to remain starter

T-RO

Reaction score
Many here originally did not want Collins to move from LG to RT. His first year or so at RT was not great either but he adapted. Collins at LG was a beast. He mauled opposing DL.

Sure Collins at guard had some pancakes and dominant downs but he had too many whiffs and fails.

*Consistency* is the first thing you need from linemen. And unit cohesion is big for the success of the oline. So I'm not sure if I'm a fan of juggling things right now.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Football is not that complicated.

Look at the guys who play it. If some of them can figure it out then so can you.

Oh I thought we were discussing the expertise it takes in making personal decisions, but I truly do understand that marginalization is a defense mechanism.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Nobody saw it coming because none of us aren’t at practice and have the expertise to evaluate their practices. We aren’t in the meeting rooms to see how he responds to the scheme sessions and so on. None of us has the information or expertise to make a better educated opinion. Are they always right, absolutely not, but their opinions and decisions are supported with tons of information that none of us have. I work in the analytical field so I am very biased to evaluating as much data as possible to formulate the best decisions for our clients.

We have a saying in our office and it’s called the “Fry Guy Scenario”. What’s that?, it’s when the fry guy at McD’s who has never taken an economics course and never has worked in the financial sector tells you that your financial manager is wrong with the moves he is making with your portfolio. He then goes on and wholeheartedly gives his opinions and advice as being more correct.

As far as being correct without all the info or expertise, well it’s a reason that the phrases “Throw enough **** on the wall until something sticks” or the other one “even a broken clock is correct twice a day” came about. Say enough and something is bound to be right.

Posters swearing that they know more then the professionals is just bazaar to me. But that’s just my opinion and that’s fact based. Just spend time on this forum and you will have all the data needed to support my opinion of that…LMAO!
@CATCH17 thinks he knows more than every GM in the league.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If you’re going to throw some lines in the water then now is the time to do it. Trade deadline is next week and Collins would land a big catch.

Dallas wouldn’t just give him away.

I think the most likely scenario is Connor is gone next year and they know Steele and Collins will both be here so might as well transition now.

It’s not like Connor Williams has been an amazing player. He’s been solid.
The Cowboys aren’t trading any of the offensive linemen. Are you freakin kidding?

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Sure Collins at guard had some pancakes and dominant downs but he had too many whiffs and fails.

*Consistency* is the first thing you need from linemen. And unit cohesion is big for the success of the oline. So I'm not sure if I'm a fan of juggling things right now.

He had the same issues when he moved RT and took him some type to develop into a good and consistent player. If he can do it at RT then whose to say he can't do the same at LG.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The 2 spots always getting pushed back,when we get the big maulers against us are left guard and center. You could even argue it cost us the Tampa Bay game. I think it’s a pretty damn good idea to put Collins they’re assuming he gets his strength back and let Steele keep improving and play CONSISTENT. That’s the big word here. Collins is definitely not consistent, always something happening with his drama. And Connor Williams is not consistent, the guy gets more penalties than a soccer game. I don’t think the Cowboys trust Collins yet, and this allows for insurance in case we don’t resign Connor Williams. We’re not going to be able to sign everybody, Gregory, Schultz, Kearse and Williams have all played into some nice contracts.

BEARCATSKLZ

Reaction score
He’s either sending a message to La’el or he’s letting the league know that he might be available for trade.

Or.. He just doesn’t care and he’s telling everyone who is starting and we’ve looked to far into this.
Or he hasn't seen LC in 4 weeks and wants to see what kind of shape he's in...

BEARCATSKLZ

Reaction score
It sounds like he plans on having practice sessions with his "contestants," to see which ones provide the best options, going forward.

I like that idea. I'd have to believe that he's knows what the Vikings have to offer and plans on being prepared to cope with their ends.
This isn't high school.... LC was a 1st rounder (projected) for a reason.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Tony Romo's definition of meritocracy has played out yet again with Terence Steele taking a job away from La'el Collins. When it happened to Romo it was enough to have him retire. However, La'el has more football in him and so he will get back to work ...as a backup at two positions, RT and LG. That LG part is intriguing to me. We need better performance from that position on game day. Coach McCarthy was quoted saying La'el will get worked out at both positions but would not comment as to what his assignment would be in Minnesota. Does that leave open the possibility that this thing is more fluid than we understand it to be? Could La'el regain his starter status at RT by the end of the week? We shall see.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He had the same issues when he moved RT and took him some type to develop into a good and consistent player. If he can do it at RT then whose to say he can't do the same at LG.

Right. He's a different player than he was back then. If we want to ride with Steele at tackle, I think we need to at least consider that Collins might be a better guard than Williams. Of course, McGovern might be a better guard than Williams, too, but we don't really seem to be all that interested in finding out. I think it might take some drastically bad play to force a change, more than just several holds in one game, and I don't want that to happen.

Fortunately, we've got some time to sort it all out. The line we'll start against the Vikings might not look quite the same by the end of the regular season.

plasticman

Reaction score
McCarthy will "start with" Steele.

Everyone is calling Steele the "starter" but I don't see where McCarthy was actually quoted that Steele was a "starter" in the sense that it's his job exclusively when the offense takes the field. I'm reading from McCarthy that Steele will be the first to take the field with the offense.

If Steele should experience difficulty from the Viking EDGE's, you should expect an appearance from Collins. The same could go for Williams, but I believe he would be replaced by McGovern and not Collins.

I mean, who would you prefer to replace Williams, McGovern or Collins who hasn't played guard in 5 years?

Collins will eventually become the starting RT barring some other incident.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I like the idea that savvy staff members will be watching Steele, La'el, and Williams to decide who to entrust with these positions!:thumbup:

May the best candidates for these positions be wisely chosen to man them. I applaud Mike McCarthy and whomever else is responsible.

Last edited: