Rumor from Tony Pauline

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get drafting one but they used 8 of their 30 visits on receivers….guys who will be first or second round picks. Hell most of them won’t even be there when they pick in the second round. Didn’t think receiver was that pressing to pick in the first round.
I only count 5...

CB​
Emmanuel Forbes​
Mississippi State​
CB​
Tyrique Stevenson​
Miami​
DT​
Mazi Smith​
Michigan​
DT​
Jaquelin Roy​
LSU​
DT​
Viliami Fehoko​
San Jose State​
DT​
Tyler Lacy​
Oklahoma State​
EDGE​
Will McDonald​
Iowa State​
EDGE​
B.J. Thompson​
Stephen F. Austin​
LB​
Trenton Simpson​
Clemson​
LB​
Drew Sanders​
Arkansas​
LB​
DeMarvion Overshown​
Texas​
LB​
Durrell Johnson​
Liberty​
LB/S​
Marte Mapu​
Sacramento State​
OG​
Steve Avila​
TCU​
OG​
Atonio Mafi​
UCLA​
OG​
Ilm Manning​
Hawaii​
OT​
Darnell Wright​
Tennessee​
QB​
Clayton Tune​
Houston​
RB​
Zach Evans​
Ole Miss​
RB​
Kendre Miller​
TCU​
TE​
Darnell Washington​
Georgia​
TE​
Tucker Kraft​
South Dakota State​
TE​
Cameron Latu​
Alabama​
TE​
Payne Durham​
Purdue​
TE​
Brayden Willis​
Oklahoma​
WR​
Quentin Johnson​
TCU​
WR​
Zay Flowers​
Boston College​
WR​
Josh Downs​
North Carolina​
WR​
Jalin Hyatt​
Tennessee​
WR​
Jonathan Mingo​
Ole Miss​

Sydla

Reaction score
Or Stephen does not want to pay Gallup and Cooks in 2024...
He basically has to pay Gallup in 2024 given they restructured him. I mean it would be pretty bad cap management to restructure Gallup this offseason and then June 1 cut him next (its the only way to cut Gallup and save cap space).

ESisback

Reaction score
BPA at positions of need…IOL, IDL, RB, WR, then TE, QB, EDGE

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think that's the case. They must be overloading that position to avoid the criticism like they received last year.

From everything I read it sounds like both those players are on track.
It makes no sense then. We legit have holes at DT, OL, RB.....you went into last year thinking James Washington, Noah Brown and Lamb were enough. A year later you trade for Cooks, Tolbert and Lamb are on track and you still want to invest? Its not adding up to me. The fact they used 8 of their 30 visits on receiver tells me something is off. Maybe they think Lamb will walk?

Sydla

Reaction score
It makes no sense then. We legit have holes at DT, OL, RB.....you went into last year thinking James Washington, Noah Brown and Lamb were enough. A year later you trade for Cooks, Tolbert and Lamb are on track and you still want to invest? Its not adding up to me. The fact they used 8 of their 30 visits on receiver tells me something is off. Maybe they think Lamb will walk?
I wouldn't read much into the number of visits at WR. Last year they also had 8 WRs they visited with (between Top 30, combine visits, etc) and they didn't take one of them per a USA Today article I just read.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He basically has to pay Gallup in 2024 given they restructured him. I mean it would be pretty bad cap management to restructure Gallup this offseason and then June 1 cut him next (its the only way to cut Gallup and save cap space).
No. The restructure only forces them to keep him in 2023 which would have happened anyway.

They could have pushed money into 2024 and beyond with a restructure of any number of players.
- If they push 5M into 2024, it does not matter which player was restructured to push the money forward.
- It's 5M regardless.
- The fact that the player gets cut does not change the amount that was pushed forward.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I only count 5...

CB​
Emmanuel Forbes​
Mississippi State​
CB​
Tyrique Stevenson​
Miami​
DT​
Mazi Smith​
Michigan​
DT​
Jaquelin Roy​
LSU​
DT​
Viliami Fehoko​
San Jose State​
DT​
Tyler Lacy​
Oklahoma State​
EDGE​
Will McDonald​
Iowa State​
EDGE​
B.J. Thompson​
Stephen F. Austin​
LB​
Trenton Simpson​
Clemson​
LB​
Drew Sanders​
Arkansas​
LB​
DeMarvion Overshown​
Texas​
LB​
Durrell Johnson​
Liberty​
LB/S​
Marte Mapu​
Sacramento State​
OG​
Steve Avila​
TCU​
OG​
Atonio Mafi​
UCLA​
OG​
Ilm Manning​
Hawaii​
OT​
Darnell Wright​
Tennessee​
QB​
Clayton Tune​
Houston​
RB​
Zach Evans​
Ole Miss​
RB​
Kendre Miller​
TCU​
TE​
Darnell Washington​
Georgia​
TE​
Tucker Kraft​
South Dakota State​
TE​
Cameron Latu​
Alabama​
TE​
Payne Durham​
Purdue​
TE​
Brayden Willis​
Oklahoma​
WR​
Quentin Johnson​
TCU​
WR​
Zay Flowers​
Boston College​
WR​
Josh Downs​
North Carolina​
WR​
Jalin Hyatt​
Tennessee​
WR​
Jonathan Mingo​
Ole Miss​
Hmm someone posted a list earlier of 8 guys they had in for visits.....can't find it now.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Tillman or Mingo...I'm in. I think they need a big WR to go with what they have in house

Sydla

Reaction score
No. The restructure only forces them to keep him in 2023 which would have happened anyway.

They could have pushed money into 2024 and beyond with a restructure of any number of players.
- If they push 5M into 2024, it does not matter which player was restructured to push the money forward.
- It's 5M regardless.
- The fact that the player gets cut does not change the amount that was pushed forward.
They converted $7 million of his base salary this year into a bonus and spread that over the remaining years of the contract. By doing that, instead of saving millions as a regular cut next year, he's now only a net cap savings of $400K. They'd have to make him a June 1 cut to make it worthwhile but the reality is that if you are cutting a guy a year after a restructure, that's just bad cap management.

When you restructure, the ideal plan is have the player play out multiple years because you can spread the restructure over a long period. You don't want to cut a guy one year after you just restructured him. That's just not very smart roster building there.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
It's a consistent comment made across multiple analysis.

The dude is raw as hell. He's far from a complete WR. He's got a lot to clean up before being an effective NFL WR. Multiple analyses have said the same thing - his route running and his route tree need expansion because he wasn't asked to run a lot of NFL style routes and when he did, they often lacked precision. He worked in the slot much of his time at UT and sometimes in motion as Heupel wanted to keep DBs off of him because he struggled at press and could be bumped off routes easily. What do you think he's going to see in the pros?

But he runs fast and beat up Bama. So we have to take him at 26. LOL. You guys just fall in love with speed and ignore everything else I guess. Dude has major bust factor at 26. He'd be one of my more disappointing choices at 26. I'd rather take one of the TBs at 26 and I loathe the concept of using a first round pick on a running back.
Never saw Hyatt as a 1st round pick. He can run the heck of a go route but I‘ve seen not much else. There is no way I could justify taking him before Robinson or Gibbs.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
I’m not saying they won’t take a WR in R1-2, I have no idea what they will do. But how does this “rumor” provide more evidence that they will? To me, something seems off. Let’s think about it critically.

The Dallas Cowboys have been calling around and doing a lot of last-minute work on the receivers. They are not just calling college coaches of receivers they have an interest in, but people outside the organization they consult with on college prospects.
  1. We don’t know who they are calling about.
  2. Why are they waiting until the last minute to call all these other sources if they are early round receivers we are serious about? Most we have already met with fairly extensively. Did they not think about doing deep due diligence on players they might draft before the week of the draft?
  3. And sounds like this isn’t due diligence on 1 guy but multiple guys.
  4. And we didn’t even meet with our #1 pick last year. Smith was shocked we drafted him.
Again, this is confirmation bias to support desired positions IMO. If they do want to draft a WR early, I think this is just as likely to be a smoke screen to make other teams think we are still unsettled on the position. That’s what I would do. I can’t imagine other teams thinking last minute research on multiple WR’s is a sign they are set on their WR pick early.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Hmm someone posted a list earlier of 8 guys they had in for visits.....can't find it now.
Another way of looking at it........8 players can also mean you're having trouble finding what they are looking for which would also suggest day-3 attention to me. Not sure you need to look at 8 at the same position to use a 1st rounder or 2nd. Let's also remember Stephen said last week there are some players with 2nd, 3rd and 4th round grades on their board that are not listed on some other teams' boards and vice versa.

Kwyn

Reaction score
You think Johnston now is in play if Kincaid/Mayer are gone? Stephen spilled the beans Friday.
Let’s hope not. I think people see that one highlight reel … that has every decent play he ever made, and think that’s what he’s going to be in the NFL.

I think he wouldn’t start for us this year and that’s what you need in there first round.