Rumor: Henry to the Cowboys could be real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_D

Reaction score
I will believe this WHEN it happens.
The only thing that gives this hope is Jerry after the GB debacle stressing that they need to run the ball and stop the run. So should be interesting to see how they handle both areas.

Creeper

Reaction score
I would rather Jerry spent his CAP room on a top DT, but it would be just like Jerry to sign an aging vet with a popular name so he can claim he really is "all in".

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The news of this story is just that there is no story because Henry lives in here in the off-seasons and trains here already.

He sold 1 Dallas area home and bought another.

That may in fact give Dallas an edge for Henry if all things are equal. But you gotta get to equal. And that means making him feel like the final piece of the championship puzzle or money whipping him or both.

I will say his market may not be uber rich just because there are other backs on the market and he is older but Dallas jst gave up on Zek because of this amount of wear and tear.
If they wanted to try to recreate the CMC magic that guy is Barkley. He's been so oft-injured that he ironically has a ton less wear and tear.
But they did just leak that they may want a bruiser. And TP did leak he was open to a team friendly deal.

It would be hard to imagine a more perfect scenario for Dallas than TP and Henry both playing for 10M combined (I.E. what they spent at RB last year).

starfan1

Reaction score
Signing Henry or Barkley would be a good idea in my opinion. I would also draft Benson or 1 of the other good backs. Does it make them better? Yes it does.
Need to get extensions done. Jerry loves his drama . I’m ok with a FA rb acquisition I just feel like this teams biggest need is a mauler on the line and linebacker

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Need to get extensions done. Jerry loves his drama . I’m ok with a FA rb acquisition I just feel like this teams biggest need is a mauler on the line and linebacker
The irony of moving to 2 LB sets is that now LBs are wayyyy more valuable. Far less 2 down roles and far more requirement to be supermen.
The baseline now is Urlacher or Woodson. You have to cover man or zone and beat OL to stop the run.
But man, it is hard to find those guys and Dallas has not had a good track record at the position. --Jaylon and LVE hit the marks for very few stretches due to injury.

I'd probably spend my FA money on Jordyn Brooks. Yes I am biased because he played at Tech but he was a stud LB day 1 in college and R1 experienced LB who won't break the bank but can play and can handle every down duties.
Had Seattle been just a bit better I think l his market would be insane. ((i.e. if his team had made a playoff run like baltimore i think he'd be viewed a patrick queen is))

Then I can really lock on to OL R1 which yea I know is bad juju but there are A LOT of really good OL so hard to miss. Dallas has fared best when leaning into the drafts strengths to select their guy. This year you could easily draft an OL that would go top 15 in most drafts at 24 because there are like 9 or 10 of them rated R1 worthy. Same at WR thus my R2 would be a WR heavy board. (I am replacing Gallup this year and Cooks next)

Carson

Reaction score
THERE IS ONE REASON HE BOUGHT A HOME IN TEXAS AND THAT MEANS NO STATE TAXES ON HIM. IT A MONEY MOVE. old senile man and a party boy not gonna sign anyone of value you can bet your bottom dollar on that
He’s from Florida. there is no state tax here and a crap ton of beaches south of his hometown

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He’s from Florida. there is no state tax here and a crap ton of beaches south of his hometown
He already lived here.
Athletes choose DFW for the massive amount of land they can acquire and the easy access to an international airport.

You don't get 5-acre spreads in South Florida unless they are just swampland or you are mega rich.
Lots of athletes do live in Florida or Texas or LA or Atlanta areas.
But ones in Texas generally want the land.

It is also pretty common for people to want to escape their areas and hangers on.

Living here isn't cheap on tax if you have a nice house UNLESS you get an Ag exemption.
The property taxes here make me want to fight our entire leadership.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Fact....we will sign a free-agent RB. This guy is at the top of my list. Pair him with a rookie ( Brooks ) and :dance:

Remember Stephen Jones said before the draft last year they were looking for a big/powerful RB.

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/door-creeps-open-cowboys-sign-derrick-henry-free-agency-01hrfva3w2a8

Door creeps open for Cowboys to sign Derrick Henry thanks to Dallas radio host​

Seemingly the entire NFL has kept busy shuffling its roster before the new league year. The Dallas Cowboys, meanwhile, have kept a low-profile as the dawn of free agency approaches. Could the lack of activity be setting the stage for the Cowboys to take a big swing in the free agent frenzy? We wouldn't get our hopes up, but Derrick Henry to the Cowboys suddenly has wheels out of nowhere.

The speculation kicked off on Thursday after Henry purchased a home in Dallas. Henry trains in Dallas during the offseason and already had a home in the area, so this hardly meant anything in terms of Henry's free agency.

For obvious reasons, though, news of Henry's investment has crazed an already-fidgety fan base. Call it ironic timing, but Jeff Cavanaugh of 97.1 The Freak in Dallas believes Henry to the Cowboys has legitimate legs.

Cowboys Rumors: Derrick Henry to Dallas is a real possibility​

Cavanaugh did some digging after a picture of Henry with a Dallas realtor after his purchase circulated on social media. Cavanaugh didn't make much of the photo, but heard from a source to "not write that off" in terms of the Cowboys signing Henry.

Does he have any gas left in the tank?

Cebrin

Reaction score
Watching this front office over the last 29 years, there's a better chance of Dallas resigning Tony Pollard if the money is right over Henry...
Personally I'm fine with that. Just need to draft or pick someone up to have a better 1 two punch. Pollard started looking better as the season went, the OL was sus.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I'd guess that they sign either Henry, Barkley, or Pollard.
Resign Pollard???

Pre-injury.....4.8 a carry avg
Post-injury....4.0 a carry avg

Dude lost almost a full yard off his carry average.............he is a gimp now, if they resign him it better be one hell of a hometown discount.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
THERE IS ONE REASON HE BOUGHT A HOME IN TEXAS AND THAT MEANS NO STATE TAXES ON HIM. IT A MONEY MOVE. old senile man and a party boy not gonna sign anyone of value you can bet your bottom dollar on that
Games checks are taxed where the game is played, not where the player lives. And Tennessee does not have state income tax, either. Perhaps he just wants to live in the Dallas area. Or he’s looking ahead to life after football. He would know how soon that will be.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Resign Pollard???

Pre-injury.....4.8 a carry avg
Post-injury....4.0 a carry avg

Dude lost almost a full yard off his carry average.............he is a gimp now, if they resign him it better be one hell of a hometown discount.
There is nothing wrong with Pollard that a good run scheme and better play calling won't fix.

It's not his fault he was getting hit at or behind the line of scrimmage far far too often this year.

Frankly I'm surprised he didn't pop off after some of the games where there was literally NO running lanes or daylight what so ever.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Fact....we will sign a free-agent RB. This guy is at the top of my list. Pair him with a rookie ( Brooks ) and :dance:

Remember Stephen Jones said before the draft last year they were looking for a big/powerful RB.

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/door-creeps-open-cowboys-sign-derrick-henry-free-agency-01hrfva3w2a8

Door creeps open for Cowboys to sign Derrick Henry thanks to Dallas radio host​

Seemingly the entire NFL has kept busy shuffling its roster before the new league year. The Dallas Cowboys, meanwhile, have kept a low-profile as the dawn of free agency approaches. Could the lack of activity be setting the stage for the Cowboys to take a big swing in the free agent frenzy? We wouldn't get our hopes up, but Derrick Henry to the Cowboys suddenly has wheels out of nowhere.

The speculation kicked off on Thursday after Henry purchased a home in Dallas. Henry trains in Dallas during the offseason and already had a home in the area, so this hardly meant anything in terms of Henry's free agency.

For obvious reasons, though, news of Henry's investment has crazed an already-fidgety fan base. Call it ironic timing, but Jeff Cavanaugh of 97.1 The Freak in Dallas believes Henry to the Cowboys has legitimate legs.

Cowboys Rumors: Derrick Henry to Dallas is a real possibility​

Cavanaugh did some digging after a picture of Henry with a Dallas realtor after his purchase circulated on social media. Cavanaugh didn't make much of the photo, but heard from a source to "not write that off" in terms of the Cowboys signing Henry.

I'm sure Henry is going to sign here.

Cap boy's "honest offer" is sure to win him over:facepalm:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I'm sure Henry is going to sign here.

Cap boy's "honest offer" is sure to win him over:facepalm:
To be fair, Henry would provide the perfect foil for our biggest offensive weakness.... Cowboy's trailing and teams sitting in coverage (as Jimmie Ward put it 'stop the run and see if Dak could win the game for them"
Henry would at least make the defense honest.
Give him a two year, backloaded with guaranteed money....even if we collapse in 2024 (and Dak isn't re-signed) the next up (poss) Rookie QB will need the protection of handing of to powerful RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.