Russia invades Ukraine *** READ RULES IN POST 6 BEFORE POSTING ***

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think that may be a large part of it, they don't have near enough drones. Also having real time intelligence may have also been an issue, but it was reported yesterday as part of the EU, the EU will now be sharing satellite imaging and surveillance.

Yes, and that will be vital. It'd help them have enough time to know what's coming and plan a counterattack.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Saw a video from Ukrainian soldiers unpacking an MRE box captured from Russians who ran off. They expired in 2015.

The more video I see the more I’m actually shocked how weak looking Russia is. Outdated equipment deserted because it broke down. Expired meals…well, you can probably eat them and be fine but when you break out the rationed rations a week in, it’s not a good look.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Saw a video from Ukrainian soldiers unpacking an MRE box captured from Russians who ran off. They expired in 2015.

The more video I see the more I’m actually shocked how weak looking Russia is. Outdated equipment deserted because it broke down. Expired meals…well, you can probably eat them and be fine but when you break out the rationed rations a week in, it’s not a good look.
For decades I have viewed Russia as an elite military force, formidable and invulnerable. That image is crumbling on an hourly basis.

rags

Reaction score
I guess we can't send Delta Force or the CIA to take Putin out?

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For decades I have viewed Russia as an elite military force, formidable and invulnerable. That image is crumbling on an hourly basis.
It's a mirage. It's the nukes that makes them formidable, but when you boil it down, unless you're willing to end the world, the nukes are useless in that you can't use them. The global economy is a much more powerful weapon to wield, as you're seeing.

brymatt94

Reaction score
I guess we can't send Delta Force or the CIA to take Putin out?
Unfortunately it's not like snuffing out Bin Laden. Putin has nuclear weapons as a last resort if he gets any intel that we're coming for him.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Good article on the baffling disappearance of Russian air superiority.

https://rusi.org/explore-our-resear...ary/mysterious-case-missing-russian-air-force

Quality over quantity.

They also went from communism to another thug government so it’s not like they even encourage transparency or award free thinkers or those with the courage not to be a yes man. How do you support innovation in that type of society?

Having said all that, I’m still hesitant, because even though everyone loves to vilify Putin, it’s obvious he tried to do this with little civilian damage. Apparently, his military is not good enough to run a war like that, but anyone with money, resources and no conscience can run scorched earth.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I worry about calling his bluff, particularly, if it is done an arrogant or I-told-you-so manner. He has a reputation within the Russian people as being extremely vengeful. It is generally believed or accepted within Russia that he has had rivals assassinated or "disappeared"... the modern day equivalent of sending someone to the gulag.

Agreed. Big bluff to call. I have no desire to live through the 21st-century version of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Unfortunately it's not like snuffing out Bin Laden. Putin has nuclear weapons as a last resort if he gets any intel that we're coming for him.
You have to wonder if his military would even follow through on an order to launch. There are now reports of Russian troops surrendering and sabotaging military vehicles rather than fighting. Important to remember that many Russian soldiers are conscripted and really have no desire to fight the Ukranians who have done nothing to deserve this attack.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/01/world/europe/russia-troops-pentagon.html

Last edited:

nobody

Reaction score
You have to wonder if his military would even follow through on an order to launch. There are now reports of Russian troops surrendering and sabotaging military vehicles rather than fighting. Important to remember that many Russian soldiers are conscripted and really have no desire to fight the Ukranians who have done nothing to deserve this attack.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/01/world/europe/russia-troops-pentagon.html

Apparently some troops were told it was live fire exercises and they didn't know until they started invading that's what they were doing.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
It's war. Believe non of the stories you hear...and believe all of the stories you hear. The truth lies somewhere in between.

Russia knows that Ukraine can't match their military strength, so they're probably using older bombs and equipment.

Ukraine wants all of the support they can get. So some of the war crime stories are more than likely... not entirely true.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ne-war-vaccuum-bomb-thermobaric-b2025344.html

Seems the Russians used a vacuum bomb, which is a direct violation against the Geneva Convention, not that Putin seems to care. I reckon that, assuming he gets taken out o power, he's going to be heading to the Hague as a result. This is a massive war crime, and it seems civilians were impacted here, so this would be a double war crime. The West MUST rise up now. The bomb used is NOT nuclear. That said, while I did not think he'd use a nuclear weapon, it's seeming he might actually do it should this take much longer unless the West gets directly involved now to try and end this war in Ukraine's benefit.
:facepalm:

You really want the US and it's allies to go to war with Russia? That's called WW3...you know that right?

So you want to start WW3 over a piece of land that's smaller than the state of Texas?

The Ukraine has a population of 46 million. WW3 would more than likely kill over 100 million.

It's not mathematically worth it.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Side effect of this has been increased visibility of Bitcoin and crypto use in general. Very good for my investments.