Twitter: S Malik Hooker to Visit Cowboys

Sydla

Reaction score
Seems pretty obvious what's happening here. Jerry and Stephen don't chase players. They chase salary buckets. So they probably have in their head they want to spend X dollars on a safety. And whichever of the three agree to that, then they take them.

Sydla

Reaction score
He is saying the medical reports will direct which player gets signed.

Yeah, that's BS. The cost will drive which players get signed. Certainly, if the medical says Kazee or Hooker aren't healthy due to their achilles, then that's a no go but if the medicals clear, it's simply about who will come here and play for the cheapest contract.

That means Kearse will be one of the two (if they sign two).

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Seems pretty obvious what's happening here. Jerry and Stephen don't chase players. They chase salary buckets. So they probably have in their head they want to spend X dollars on a safety. And whichever of the three agree to that, then they take them.

Both have injury concerns and they are doing the medical due dilligence, that seems pretty obvious to me.

Carson

Reaction score
Yeah, that's BS. The cost will drive which players get signed. Certainly, if the medical says Kazee or Hooker aren't healthy due to their achilles, then that's a no go but if the medicals clear, it's simply about who will come here and play for the cheapest contract.

I mean Kearse is a lock. He was on the practice squad last year lol

boysfanindc

Reaction score

Neither player is going to get big money this year as they are coming off injury and they are going to be 1 year prove it deals. There not going to get big money from anyone.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
By my understanding all three safeties visited today. Probably both Hooker and Kazee got physicals coming off injury. Hooker's tweets are kind of cryptic and can be taken to mean he's not signing or will possibly sign later.

I have a gut feeling the Cowboys are working harder to get something done with Kazee due to the Quinn/Whitt connection and the fact Kazee has a visit to Detroit scheduled for tomorrow.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By my understanding all three safeties visited today. Probably both Hooker and Kazee got physicals coming off injury. Hooker's tweets are kind of cryptic and can be taken to mean he's not signing or will possibly sign later.

I have a gut feeling the Cowboys are working harder to get something done with Kazee due to the Quinn/Whitt connection and the fact Kazee has a visit to Detroit scheduled for tomorrow.

That would be my guess as well.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

So i guess this is their only shot at Kazee, if they want him they can't let him leave tonight without an agreement. Or its bye bye Kazee. As for Hooker, probably depends on Kazee. They don't appear they will be signing both.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if the interviews and general conversations went really well. That is until the actual offer was presented.

Sydla

Reaction score
Neither player is going to get big money this year as they are coming off injury and they are going to be 1 year prove it deals. There not going to get big money from anyone.

No one said they would get long term or big deals. But the Cowboys, and history is a decent indicator, are probably using the injuries to low ball both significantly. How many times have we been linked to a guy and he ends up signing for a reasonable deal that we could have paid? Quite a bit.

They simply aren't about getting the player they like the most. They are about getting the player that best fits into their salary bucket for the position they are trying to fill. So I have little doubt they have a low number on what they want to pay at this point and Hooker thinks he can do better somewhere else. Will one buckle? Who knows.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
So i guess this is their only shot at Kazee, if they want him they can't let him leave tonight without an agreement. Or its bye bye Kazee. As for Hooker, probably depends on Kazee. They don't appear they will be signing both.

Not necessarily. Keanu Neal had offers from both the Cowboys and Jets and picked Dallas. Maybe Kazee visits the Lions tomorrow and still signs here.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Time will tell in short order.

Hooker said visit went well but essentially is up to Dallas.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a long-time fan that wants to believe in the Cowboys, I believe they are working through the pros and cons to make something happen. The two best safeties have injury concerns AND the most upside. Two very tough decisions.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
No one said they would get long term or big deals. But the Cowboys, and history is a decent indicator, are probably using the injuries to low ball both significantly. How many times have we been linked to a guy and he ends up signing for a reasonable deal that we could have paid? Quite a bit.

They simply aren't about getting the player they like the most. They are about getting the player that best fits into their salary bucket for the position they are trying to fill. So I have little doubt they have a low number on what they want to pay at this point and Hooker thinks he can do better somewhere else. Will one buckle? Who knows.

Both players contract value is going to be about the same, both are going to sign in the $2M range.

jnday

Reaction score
Heck of a thing to say about athletes that play a brutal sport at an extremely high level. Kobe, Durant, etc.. tore an Achilles in their careers and came back just fine and that sport requires way more running and jumping.
It’s a heck of a thing for Jerry to sign cripples and injury-prone players. Is it too much to ask for Dallas to sign one talented safety that is not injury-prone,has personal problems or drug problems? There is a long list of players that never returned to form after Achilles injuries. It is no insult to say that these players are injury prone. Believe me, they know it and NFL teams know it as well.