Twitter: S Malik Hooker to Visit Cowboys

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Another guy coming off an Achilles injury and again the Cowboys doing their due diligence and want to see him perform in person. Tough to come back from that injury.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Malik Hooker

Hooker has dealt with significant injury after significant injury, and this concern existed even before the 2020 season, which was lost to a torn Achilles. He’s never really provided the intended playmaking ability in the middle of the field, but he’s also played in a Colts scheme that has been heavy on two-high safety coverages.

Hooker still may be a better fit in a true single-high safety role where he takes good angles on downfield throws. He’s looked out of place when forced into one-on-ones with receivers or when needing to react quickly from two-high alignments. His best season saw him grade at 81.6 in coverage in 2018, though the other 1200 or so snaps have him graded in the mid-60s. He's worth a look in a new system that could get the most out of his downfield playmaking skill set.

Contract Analysis: The Indianapolis Colts were the last team in the NFL to make a decision on their 2017 first-round pick’s fifth-year option, waiting until the very last day to ultimately decline Hooker’s $6.7 million for 2021, which looks smart in hindsight. Hooker will likely need to take a near-minimum “prove-it” deal to get his career back on track.

Prediction: One year, $2 million.
I would make that deal....Sadly....I bet Jerry offers a 2 yr deal....8 million.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
Unfortunately, he cannot stay healthy. And with our luck, he won't stay healthy. He shouldn't come here if he wants to keep playing in the NFL.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I mean if Hooker is as good as we think....or hope...2 years at 8 million is nothing.

We gave Basham $6.5 million for two years. I can't see us giving more to any of these safeties we're looking at.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Achilles reconstruction is routinely fully recovered nowadays. This is no longer the 1990s.
It's incredible.

I can remember ACLs used to be a death sentence for careers....or players were never the same. Bernard King was one of the first guys I remember coming back from an ACL and he was never the same. Now, guys do it all the time.

Achilles injuries are starting to look the same. It's such a devestating injury, but it seems more and more guys are recovering fully from it.

Modern medicine....wow...

Bizwah

Reaction score
I'm trying to remember a guy that started off their career with multiple major injuries, only to have a successful career.

I can't think of one....Jimmy Smith maybe?

I mean....it can happen....it just doesn't happen often.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I'm trying to remember a guy that started off their career with multiple major injuries, only to have a successful career.

I can't think of one....Jimmy Smith maybe?

I mean....it can happen....it just doesn't happen often.
Frank Gore

rambo2

Reaction score
It's incredible.

I can remember ACLs used to be a death sentence for careers....or players were never the same. Bernard King was one of the first guys I remember coming back from an ACL and he was never the same. Now, guys do it all the time.

Achilles injuries are starting to look the same. It's such a devestating injury, but it seems more and more guys are recovering fully from it.

Modern medicine....wow...
What players have come back from a torn Achilles and actually played well?