Sad confession of a Cowboys fan

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You can plan on Rodgers beating you if you give the ball back to him with 90 seconds and a time out. Even Aikman was saying DO NOT GIVE THE BALL BACK TO RODGERS. You stop your run at the 1ft line and go from there.

Yeah, sure. Then Ty Smith gets called for a false start and we're back at the six. Dallas doesn't score and guys like you are making the exact opposite argument.

If Dallas only needed a FG it's an easy call. But you can't just pick and choose when you're going to score a TD. If it was that easy, Dallas would never lose.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Um ... and if we can't score?

Score first. Stop the opponent. That's the name of the game.

If we can't score we lose.
But again, here are your two choices:

1. Down 4,1st and goal from the 1, with one timeout. Hell, I'll give the holding call and it's 3rd and goal from the 11.
2. Up 3, 1:13 left, Rodgers has the ball at the 25 with one timeout. Against this defense and this DC.

If you pick number 2, we simply have no basis for an intelligent football conversation.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The question is why haven't Garrett and Linehan learned from their mistakes? Was it Linehan or Marinelli who went 0-16? There's a reason that happened. I miss the Landry and Johnson days. We knew the coaching decisions would be good. We never had to worry about such things.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I felt the same way. Even when they panned to Elliott and Dak celebrating I was thinking 'don't you guys realize what's about to happen?' It was a definite 3, and a probable 7.

Sideline, this is also why the 'Dez caught it play' probably wasn't as big a deal as we Cowboy fans make it out to be.

That said, in fairness, you took, what, 10 minutes off the clock and punched it in in the end. The rules are that Rodgers gets the ball back when you do that. Had we run it, forced them to use the time out, and given him the ball back in a worse situation, he still probably scores, and maybe still a TD. He's the best QB in the league for a reason. The guy is a badass.

He is a badass, and the best QB in the league, but he has been to one superbowl. Meaning, he has been stopped before - multiple times. The cowboys are never to be confused with one of those teams. This would have happened with: Brady, Stafford, Ryan, Big Ben, Cousins, Wentz, Alex Smith, Wilson, Rivers, Mariotta, Brees, Newton, Winston, Bradford and maybe even D Watson, and Trubisky

Jason 82 Witten

Reaction score
Of course if Dak had went down and they ended up not scoring, people would have blamed him for not taking the TD

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
The corollary to that argument, though, is Romo would have gotten the ball back with a little time, probably, too. Would have been great for the game had the refs just followed the rules for needing 'indisputable' evidence to overturn a call on the field.

It is the same thing with the Romo botched hold. there was 1:14 left in that game. Thoughat the time, I would have trusted a Parcells team more

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is a badass, and the best QB in the league, but he has been to one superbowl. Meaning, he has been stopped before - multiple times. The cowboys are never to be confused with one of those teams. This would have happened with: Brady, Stafford, Ryan, Big Ben, Cousins, Wentz, Alex Smith, Wilson, Rivers, Mariotta, Brees, Newton, Winston, Bradford and maybe even D Watson, and Trubisky

Not sure about your list, but I agree that the defense has been bad, overall. There are guys who can beat you with 70 seconds and a timeout in this league, but they don't grow on trees.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Not sure about your list, but I agree that the defense has been bad, overall. There are guys who can beat you with 70 seconds and a timeout in this league, but they don't grow on trees.

Name a QB in this league who couldn't beat this defense playing this scheme in 70 seconds with a timeout. I think that's a pretty short list.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
The list isnt a reflection on the QB skill, but Dallas's team. We've seen Brady do it, Stafford twice, Flynn, Eli, Brees, etc.,etc.

9of11

Reaction score
The whole Dak lost the game by scoring a TD is assinine. I don't want to hear that anymore.

"You play to win the game!" Defense HAS to make a play. Almost did on Rodgers but he slipped away. This defense will get better this year...i have no doubt.
I dont think he really meant that Dak was the reason we lost the game, just bad wording on his part. I felt the same way. I was excited for the TD but knew we were going to lose the game because 1:13 was way too much for this defense. Dak and the offense did more than enough to win the game. And your right, the defense HAS to make a play and almost did but ALMOST doesn't count. The D will get better later in the season.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Name a QB in this league who couldn't beat this defense playing this scheme in 70 seconds with a timeout. I think that's a pretty short list.
I should have called those out.
Bortles, Palmer, Kizer, Hoyer, Cutler, McCown - and they could do it, just would be surprised

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think the opposite. But definitely the good ones can.

Our defense right now is a bottom-third defense in my book. Not the worst in the league, but bad. 70 seconds and a TD isn't all that easy to do.

But, to be honest, I didn't expect to field a defense this year that would stop Rodgers in yesterday's situation. We didn't devote the resources required to doing it. I do expect Terrence Williams not to give up the game on the other end of the field, though. Honestly, that play was where we lost the game yesterday. But we haven't gotten into that one yet.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

Our defense right now is a bottom-third defense in my book. Not the worst in the league, but bad. 70 seconds and a TD isn't all that easy to do.

But, to be honest, I didn't expect to field a defense this year that would stop Rodgers in yesterday's situation. We didn't devote the resources required to doing it. I do expect Terrence Williams not to give up the game on the other end of the field, though. Honestly, that play was where we lost the game yesterday. But we haven't gotten into that one yet.
I am surprised there isn't a "Williams is a scrub"thread.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I should have called those out.
Bortles, Palmer, Kizer, Hoyer, Cutler, McCown - and they could do it, just would be surprised

Sounds about right. We may get a chance to see if Hoyer is up to the task.

TheHerd

Reaction score

Can anyone list the results of the last say, 10 times, we handed to ball of to any team with a 7 pt or less lead and < 2 minutes to play? I'm just curious to know if my perceptions are bs or if I'm accurately remembering how anemic our 2 minute defense is.