Salary cap Hell

rambo2

Reaction score
Ok from what I am seeing and please correct me..... How can you pay Dak 60 mil., CD 30-35 mil and MP 35-40 mil and field a competitive team. I kinda get the conundrum here with the va jays (JJ & Stephen). Do we trade them? What is the answer?? Me....not paying Yak top 10 QB. My take on WR is we can find some one to catch the ball, no offence CD but we have to field a competitive team here. MP.....not LT status by a long shot. Pouty and moodie.....just bust chops and play the game no matter what. and shut your damn mouth.
The salary cap is going up.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Ok from what I am seeing and please correct me..... How can you pay Dak 60 mil., CD 30-35 mil and MP 35-40 mil and field a competitive team. I kinda get the conundrum here with the va jays (JJ & Stephen). Do we trade them? What is the answer?? Me....not paying Yak top 10 QB. My take on WR is we can find some one to catch the ball, no offence CD but we have to field a competitive team here. MP.....not LT status by a long shot. Pouty and moodie.....just bust chops and play the game no matter what. and shut your damn mouth.
Everyone has to pay the piper at some point. what do I mean? Dak's cap hit the past three years were 17,19 and 23. quite reasonable (kids, Dakssesed people I am not talking about his play, but cap numbers so chill).
but at some point every team has to decide do we continue to extend and manage cap or do we just take a one year hit and walk away. every team has to deal with that. so its our turn. cowboys can easily extend Dak and reduce the cap hit to 25M. or less. but they are choosing not to and rightfully so. the contract is 60M this year. not next year. and CD and Parsons are under contract. so they are not extended yet and their cap hit can be lowered.

btw, don't say Dak wants average of 60M and that's what you mean, because this past contract it was average of 40M, and yet three years we had hits of 17,19,23 as I mentioned.

its the cap it can be managed. you just have to find the right players to sign.

more important question: do you trust the joneses to build a superbowl worthy team?

and if Not Dak (and I am not advocating), then who is your choice and how much do they cost?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
and if Not Dak (and I am not advocating), then who is your choice and how much do they cost?
So lets have your guess (as you're not advocating)?

If not Dak, then id go: Bolster the lines, Defense and running game allowing a lesser QB to thrive without the pressure, a bit reminiscent of Dak in 2016, or Purdy 2021. It doesnt have to ALL BE ON THE QB AND IT IS A TEAM GAME, as is frequently mentioned when Dak comes in for criticism.

Flamma

Reaction score
Because that wouldn't be their cap hits until later on in the contract. There are other ways to lower cap hits as well. Restructures and void years. All meant to move money away. But some day you'll pay. Jerry doesn't like to do that to the extreme because he doesn't want to have a lean year that it would bring.

Also don't forget about other players leaving or retiring. How long do you think Tank and Martin will be with us? They'll be gone before CD, Dak, or Lamb becomes a problem.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So lets have your guess (as you're not advocating)?

If not Dak, then id go: Bolster the lines, Defense and running game allowing a lesser QB to thrive without the pressure, a bit reminiscent of Dak in 2016, or Purdy 2021. It doesnt have to ALL BE ON THE QB AND IT IS A TEAM GAME, as is frequently mentioned when Dak comes in for criticism.
Ok, is there a reason we can't build that with Dak? How much will these other QBs cost?

plasticman

Reaction score
The top five salaries for the Cowboys represent 48.5% of their total cap. On the other hand, the top five salaries for the Eagles is only 25.6%. Now we know why they can go out and sign so many players

There are some teams whose top 5 salaries get over half the salary cap including the Browns and Rams. The 49ers have 47.6% of their cap tied up in the top five paid players.

Are "star" players really worth it?

Suppose you had three star players whose total cap hit was 80 million. You also had 20 players with a one million cap hit, that is a total of 100 million for those 23 players. You can assume from the contract amounts that those 20 players are undrafted free agents and 3rd day draft picks that form the pool of backups.

However, if you take the total of 100 million and divide it evenly then you would have 23 players averaging 4.3 million a year. Assuming a payroll of 70 players, You have just transformed over 25% of your team from low end undrafted free agents and 7th round picks into midround picks and veteran free agents with the potential to at least compete as a starter

How many "star" players can a team realistically have?

I would say one other player making over 30 million if you don't include the QB. If your starting QB happens to be on a rookie contract, then a team has a grace period to fix their salary cap issues before having to resign the player.

Let's say your top four contracts are 30, 20, 18 and 16 million. You just used up a third of your cap. Dak, CeeDee and Micah will be asking for how much? Even if we lowball it at 45, 30 and 25 million, that is 100 million, equal to about 40% of the total cap space.

Your next tier will be important contributors, guys like Diggs, Martin and Lawrence. These ae your 10+ million contract guys. There will be about five of those guys totaling to approximately 70 million. 80 million left.

Don't forget the dead money, we'll give it a realistic 15 million. 65 million left to pay at least 42 players. There should be at least a half dozen 5+ million contracts, so now you have about 30 million left to pay the remaining 36 players. That would be minimum wage.

Essentially, 70% of your team would be undrafted free agents and 6th round picks.

And don't forget! Current Pro Bowlers Bland, Tyler Smith, and Jake Ferguson's contracts would be just around the corner.

For the past few seasons the Cowboys have signed very few veteran free agents, deliberately shying away from any huge contract. The reason, we were told, was that the Cowboys were trying to stash money for the time when they needed to sign Dak, CeeDee and Micah.

However, their rollover cap space was around 5 million, something multiple teams have done. Meanwhile, the 49ers rollover 36 million.

For decades, Jerry Jones has operated on the strategy of "making it fit". That is, he manipulates the salary cap by moving the cap hits through restructuring in order to pay another quality player. Eventually, we wind up with a team that has no quality depth whatsoever. When the injuries become frequent, things get really ugly.

Siroky

Reaction score
For Dak Cede and Parsons all wanting #1 position pay - Let them play out 2024 on their current contracts! Everyone says players have their best year on contract years! Take us to the superbowl and earn the next contract- don’t and on my team they didn’t earn that money- accept less or I would rebuild. Dont want to be stuck in the same cycle of good but not good enough.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Ok, is there a reason we can't build that with Dak? How much will these other QBs cost?
Trey in 2024 and/or draft in 2025. Im not saying we cant build around Dak.....but if he wants elite money, i'd want him to take 'elite' responsibility and for most of us, that's play-off performances.....it's difficult in apportioning the blame to the whole roster if the QB is part of the problem and is taking 20%+ of the CAP (remembering we're still on the hook for $40m of CAP space in 2025.

2016 and the 49ers are examples of teams built around strong rosters, allowing the QB an easier transition into the NFL......that's what i'd suggest, if Dak just wants money on his own terms (length of contract).

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Trey in 2024 and/or draft in 2025. Im not saying we cant build around Dak.....but if he wants elite money, i'd want him to take 'elite' responsibility and for most of us, that's play-off performances.....it's difficult in apportioning the blame to the whole roster if the QB is part of the problem and is taking 20%+ of the CAP (remembering we're still on the hook for $40m of CAP space in 2025.

2016 and the 49ers are examples of teams built around strong rosters, allowing the QB an easier transition into the NFL......that's what i'd suggest, if Dak just wants money on his own terms (length of contract).
What do you think Dak Prescott is worth as an NFL quarterback in the contemporary NFL?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
What do you think Dak Prescott is worth as an NFL quarterback in the contemporary NFL?
He's 'worth', not as much as he receives, on basis that a team he's on needs a strong running game and Defense to overcome his 'struggles' with pressure.

Id concede it's possible to give the above, but it would mean Dak giving a longer contract (ala Hurts - $97m hit in 2029), but it appears (well mentioned by Broaddus Love of the Star)....that Dak maybe looking for another short term contract.

So, if Dak doesnt accept a contract that allows deferred payments into the future, it's time for a change of strategy.....Cowboys 2016 or present day SF.

kskboys

Reaction score
Easily done. Again it's just manipulation of the numbers. 1 example is Teams do not always have a QB or player on the roster taking up 10+ % of the cap.
So that's why teams release good players, because they just want to!!!!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Other teams do this. There is a way.

You can manipulate the cap. The cowboys have just decided not to all of a sudden
can you stop acting like they're not gonna do it just because they haven't done it on your time frame and to make fans feel better I mean you guys need a hug they have plenty of time with lamb and Parsons should they need to do it they have to fit their options they have franchise tags and when they decide they wanna do it they will do it they've done it in the past don't act like they have it they've overpaid most of their superstars to keep them act like they haven't done it or they won't do it is ridiculously overreactive dramatic and maybe a little early there's time to do all this and all teams have had to do this....

But the one thing they're waiting on is to see what happens with Prescott there's no reason to keep the other two players at that kind of money if you're gonna like completely reset your quarterback room have your starting over at quarterback you need resources IE draft picks therefore I'm all for saying goodbye to Parsons digs and lamb at this fanbase wants to really see a rebuild that's what's gonna happen if you want that done the rest has to go with them just because you hate dak the DAC haters who don't wanna pay him the 55 to $60 million I think we could do just as good without him are the ones that are gonna have a wake up call because they're gonna need to get rid of all of the players who are not also helping win in the playoffs let's not forget they're on the team that's failing and they all look bad in that last Green Bay game...

So this is an all or nothing situation if Prescott doesn't sign here whether it's before the season or if he decides to stay here once he tests the market then they'll have the decisions for the rest of the guys they do not need to do that right now and by the way how you get around it is you draft well our team was one of the youngest teams in the NFL last year and it's getting even younger this year they will be fine at restocking talent at lower prices in order to get your core stars that are gonna make the big money fit on the team and there's a way to stagger contracts where some of them will be front loaded some of them will be backloaded they won't all come due at the same time and the salary cap is going up...

So fans just keep their nose out of the actual business side of this and act like Jerry's never done this before which by the way he has at every turn he's paid everyone all the way back to 33 years ago to now he's made all his superstars get paid top five in their field literally has done it with every single player I have not seen him cut one of our superstars without first giving them a big contract hell that even goes back to jalen Smith who we probably shouldn't have signed he signed his players he's actually too emotionally involved he usually overreacts and signs them too early and then they don't get any better in the playoffs and we don't get anywhere...

In this case it's just a holding pattern they're waiting to see what happens with Prescott the rest of it will get taken care of after because we have time lots of time you realize we can franchise both lamb and Parsons in different years they're both on 50 year contracts one is CD lamb is now but next year Parsons will be on his fifth year option so you can franchise tag lamb next year and Parsons a year after we have transition tags there is business that can be done but we need to leave it to the business people they will find a way if they decide that that's what they want to do....

I mean you do realize the Philadelphia Eagles just paid both their wide receivers and they have a brand new contract with their quarterback and there were other guys on the team that make good money it happens and I'm not saying to use them as an example but that's recent history they just overpaid both their wide receivers which is unusual to have both wide receiver under that kind of payment and it might hurt them in the end but they find a way to do it the Cowboys will find a way to do it but first they need to get the quarterback situation settled if we don't have Prescott here in 2025 I don't see them signing any of those guys if they're smart they would trade them all including cutting Zach Martin and getting rid of tank and if we really want to start over as a fan base you can't cherry pick which ones go they all need to go... A true rebuilding situation would need to be done and it would be absolutely smart to do... You imagine all the draft picks and resources we can get from trading all those guys cutting all the fat finding a new quarterback and then starting this whole king all over again with finding war daddies and big names and whatnot there might be guys on this team right now that could fit that bill once they're given the opportunity....

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
No reason to pay the top of the market when you still have th 5th year option and or the tag.

CD plays this year on 5th year deal. Next year he gets tagged.

Micah next year plays on 5th year deal, then gets tagged.

Problem is neither will be happy about it.
The issue with that is the top of the market is going up every year. So the money you end up paying will be more. Plus if Lamb plays on one tag then the Cowboys would basically have to pay him whatever he wants because they couldnt do a second tag (especially if they are using it on Parsons).

Hadenough

Reaction score
Parsons and Lamb are absolutely elite for their position. They will get paid. Dak is an avg QB who wants elite money and that's not going to happen again. I seem to remember telling people that Dak will kill the cap and they kept saying no he isn't he's only making 22 mil this year. It's called kicking money down the road to all the fools that believed that he wasn't going to hurt that team.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So that's why teams release good players, because they just want to!!!!
Most of the time yes. There is always a balance of pay vs performance and sometimes they do get released. Not suggesting the cap is infinite but they are not shackled to it like they pretend to be.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The issue with that is the top of the market is going up every year. So the money you end up paying will be more. Plus if Lamb plays on one tag then the Cowboys would basically have to pay him whatever he wants because they couldnt do a second tag (especially if they are using it on Parsons).
Of course but why worry about that now he's paying for $17 million that's $1 million a game we have him for this year we have Parsons for this year we have Prescott for this year we need to just stop worrying about business of football when the time comes the front office will figure it out if everyone has to figure this out right now it's all gonna start with Prescott they are waiting to see if they either sign in right before the season this year or let him test the market next year maybe he comes back maybe as a free agent he decides he wants to be a Dallas cowboy and at that point they will make the decision on lamb and Parsons there is no reason to pay them right now and there's no reason for fans to be freaking out over the business side of football because the one thing I've seen of Jerry Jones he overpays and he makes sure he take care of his superstars he has always done it and all of a sudden you think he's not gonna do it just because it's not on the fans timetable that's the problem here the fans are worried about **** they shouldn't be worried about!!!

We will have a pretty solid team this year and for 2024 that's all we need to be focused on who cares about 25,26, and 27 that will work itself out and yes those would be the years that one or all three of those players are gonna end up signing they have all that available to them with transition tags franchise tags cat manipulation they will do it when the time comes and then we will know about it and then we can discuss it discussing things that are out of our control and they're not important at this moment for 2024...