Samsung announces folding phone with 5G at nearly $2,000

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This appeals to the "gotta have it first" crowd and I have several Applehead friends that have to be the first and first to show it off. I do like the concept but it's like anything else with technology, wait until they get the bugs worked out and Apple is famous for letting their customers do that for them.

I've got an 8 Plus and wish it folded because jean makers did not consider how to get this damned thing in your front pocket and still bend over and good luck if you forgot to take it out before getting into drive your vehicle and it rings. Ya know that video of the octopus getting the fish out of the sealed jar, that's what it feels like.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This appeals to the "gotta have it first" crowd and I have several Applehead friends that have to be the first and first to show it off. I do like the concept but it's like anything else with technology, wait until they get the bugs worked out and Apple is famous for letting their customers do that for them.

I've got an 8 Plus and wish it folded because jean makers did not consider how to get this damned thing in your front pocket and still bend over and good luck if you forgot to take it out before getting into drive your vehicle and it rings. Ya know that video of the octopus getting the fish out of the sealed jar, that's what it feels like.
Hector didn't come with a built in phone compartment and charger? I told you to spring for the more expensive model.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still liked my Razer....until texting came along. Holy handicap, that was a nightmare just typing and sending "please stop".

My wife talked me into a Blackberry and that lasted less than a day and I got my first iPhone and gotta admit, that was pretty cool. Be interesting how Apple approaches
this new folding phone and what they will learn from Samsung.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I still liked my Razer....until texting came along. Holy handicap, that was a nightmare just typing and sending "please stop".

My wife talked me into a Blackberry and that lasted less than a day and I got my first iPhone and gotta admit, that was pretty cool. Be interesting how Apple approaches
this new folding phone and what they will learn from Samsung.

I suspect Apple will do what they do a lot of, first watch and see how the market reacts to it, if it's a dud, then Apple will likely R&D their own version and release it when the market is ready for it. Apple seems patient that way, they seem in no real hurry to get a less superior product to market.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I suspect Apple will do what they do a lot of, first watch and see how the market reacts to it, if it's a dud, then Apple will likely R&D their own version and release it when the market is ready for it. Apple seems patient that way, they seem in no real hurry to get a less superior product to market.
I do admire their lack of respect for the competition. While all are watching Apple, they are watching themselves. I have several of their products and if customer service was needed, it was among the best I have ever received.

The only one I regret is the HomePod because Siri is a deaf ***** with a damned speech impediment but it is a good speaker. I have to ask her several times either the name of a band or song and finally give up and Shazam it and then yell at her, this was what you were trying to say?? I do like cussing at her though because she always has this disgusted "language!" response like one of my teachers would. Or she will say "I don't know how to respond to that" and I laugh maniacally CC 1, Siri 0! I need to get out more, get around more real people.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The only thing I like about it is 5g. It’s going to change everything. Some for the better, but some changes will be scary. Open source OS like Android is well, open.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I do admire their lack of respect for the competition. While all are watching Apple, they are watching themselves. I have several of their products and if customer service was needed, it was among the best I have ever received.

The only one I regret is the HomePod because Siri is a deaf ***** with a damned speech impediment but it is a good speaker. I have to ask her several times either the name of a band or song and finally give up and Shazam it and then yell at her, this was what you were trying to say?? I do like cussing at her though because she always has this disgusted "language!" response like one of my teachers would. Or she will say "I don't know how to respond to that" and I laugh maniacally CC 1, Siri 0! I need to get out more, get around more real people.

That's a good point. Siri is frustrating...they need to do a little work on Siri. The guy at the Apple store told me the more you use Siri, the better she becomes, no convinced yet. I went with the echo dot...it has decent sound.

I was not going to get another iPhone...but sometimes the deal is to good to say no too, and as I said, I am sure they gave me this deal is because they are stuck with a lot of them, they offered the 8 for about $3 less than the plan for the X...lol

I am also caught up in the Apple infrastructure, Imac and Ipad as well as the phone. You are right, Apple's customer service is top notch.

The one thing I really like about Apple is that they just go about their business. I do not suspect to see a folding iPhone until it makes sense for Apple. I think Apple likes even their 1st generation products to be good and reliable.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
People are underestimating this thing (I'm an Apple man btw, and will not buy this phone).

This if 1st gen technology. It will hava quirks and bugs. But 4-5 years from now, foldable phone/tablet things are going to be the standard, because Samsung has forced everyone's hand. Adapt or die.

Thank you, Samsung.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This Huawei Mate X is still rough concept wise, but it is a much better first-implementation than the Samsung Fold ..

Yes, I understand the risks argument for using a Chinese-based phone and I am not recommending this or any folding phone right now. My reason for posting this is to simply show that while all folding phones are going to be more conceptual than amazing right now, the Huawei Mate X is way ahead of the Samsung offering at this point.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This Huawei Mate X is still rough concept wise, but it is a much better first-implementation than the Samsung Fold ..

Yes, I understand the risks argument for using a Chinese-based phone and I am not recommending this or any folding phone right now. My reason for posting this is to simply show that while all folding phones are going to be more conceptual than amazing right now, the Huawei Mate X is way ahead of the Samsung offering at this point.

I don't know. The screen is exposed on both sides when it's folded. Seems like there's a high risk of damage just setting it down on a table, and I imagine if you were to drop that on its corner from a height of even 2 feet, it'd be ruined.

lukin2006

Reaction score

All I will say is I have great concerns about this company being allowed to do business with the west.

lukin2006

Reaction score
There is another example as to why I give Apple the edge over these companies to this day. 5G is an unnecessary option for at least a while, when I see 5G on Apple then I'll know we are close to having a 5G network that most of us can access.