Samsung announces folding phone with 5G at nearly $2,000

lukin2006

Reaction score
I should also state that the people I know who love the iPod classic like it because it was just a music player...

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I believe Jobs left Apple with a multi-year plan before stepping down. However, the one thing you cannot plan around is how the market will change and how your competitors will change and improve their own offerings, and that is what is happening to Apple.

If you think about it, Apple is very much like the Dallas Cowboys. In the past, both were at the tops of their markets and had huge and devoted fan bases. Over time though, even the most die-hard fans start to lose their enthusiasm and blind devotion while more and more casual fans jump ship for the latest fads and trends.

Apple needs to launch a truly innovative product again like they have done in the past or they may find themselves falling faster and faster to their competitors. Their mobile devices like the iPod, iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, etc. and their computers like the Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, iMac, etc. were all innovative game changers or major technological leaps, and more importantly, they were new market creators. These days, their new products are just improvements on older products and ideas and in many cases now, they are the ones following the competition instead of leading it.

I hope they are working on one or more next-gen products and are just waiting to spring them on the industry and regain their position in the market. Otherwise, I have a feeling that Apple is going to continue their decline as their competitors take their place.

Apple is very much like the Dallas Cowboys and vice versa.

Steve Jobs sold us what we needed. There was one way. One choice. His. That equaled yours.

Dallas Cowboys. As a fan. I indoctrinate friends and family, especially my kids that = the Dallas Cowboys are the one team/choice for you. Do you understand?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The glass-back phones are typically found on the higher-end phones, not the mid- or low- level phones (many of which are almost as good at the flagship phones that cost twice or more than them).

I prefer phones with a plastic back myself and that's why I have a half-shell case on my Samsung phone that provides exactly that since it has a glass back on it. A glass-back .. at least one with no functional purpose other than aesthetics .. is just one more thing that can (and likely will) break eventually.
The composition of the phone, the hardware, is the least important feature of any smart phone. It’s the OS that matters the most.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I have had a few iPhone's...and the 6 was the worst for durability. I had 2 that bent, both replaced by Apple. So at least they took care of me, and of course, because they took care of me I went with another iPhone. That is one area where I think Apple still maintains a huge advantage over their competitors.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The composition of the phone, the hardware, is the least important feature of any smart phone. It’s the OS that matters the most.
That's somewhat true, but it's really the software (apps) more so than the OS. It was/is the same reason why Windows has maintained its dominance in the PC industry despite stumbling a few times with major OS releases like Vista and 8.x.

I have friends who have always been iPhone fans that would love to switch to android but there are a few apps that are iOS only that keep them from doing so. I also have friends who switched from iPhones to Android phones and they switched back to iPhones within the first month for various reasons.

Outside of die-hard techs and engineers, the OS is just a means. Getting excited about an OS is like getting about a new paved road. When you first see it, it's impressive or disappointing. 6 months later, it's just a way to do what you want or get to where you are going.

In the end, it comes down to what you are used to and which apps you use or depend on daily. If you use iMessage on iOS for example and you have friends and/or family who also use iMessage, it would be quite hard to leave that behind to switch to an android device no matter how much better it is or what features it offers.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Looks like a cool phone, but it seems pretty thick when closed, and I don't know how long it'll keep opening seamlessly. Seems like the moving parts would eventually wear.
it closes more like a binder w/one end higher than the other. that would get annoying.

this just seems to be a fad i can easily do w/o - esp at the cost of $2k. i guess they ran out of software features and needed a gimmick to sell so here we are.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Either that or they priced it that high only so they could scream, "FIRST!", rather than encourage people to actually buy it :D

Yeah if they wanted to be fair. Phone $1,000 + iPad cost $400-500 = $1500.... they tacked on +/- $500 for “combo”’ing the two.

Actually, now that I think about it. The extra $500 is for fold screen technology lol

Last edited:

lukin2006

Reaction score
If you are one of the 1st to market, then you stand a better chance to be the leader as well. Yes/No?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you are one of the 1st to market, then you stand a better chance to be the leader as well. Yes/No?
I don't think that's the case as often as people think. Apple was first to market with several things but they had two distinct advantages back then .. 1) they were releasing new concepts or they were much further along than their competitors and/or 2) there was much less competition back then.

I think Apple is even having trouble with that now because even if they release an amazing new iPhone, iPad, Macbook, etc. concept that the public loves (which is much harder these days since Jobs is gone and non-Apple fans tend to like what they have), the other companies can reproduce it and get it to market within 6 to 12 months every time.

Apple's success with the iPod and, more importantly, its well established consumer base, put it in prime position to be successful when they released the first iPhone. After all, it was an iPod that you could use to make and receive phone calls which either eliminated an extra device or made it easier for music fans to carry their music around with them all day. In business terms, it solved a problem .. two of them.

While some consumers can associate a "trust factor" with first-in-tech companies, being first by itself is not enough to establish a foothold in the minds of most consumers. The reason for this is as old as the consumer market is. People tend to buy what their family, friends, coworkers, etc. buy. If they see someone they know using it, it validates it as a proven product even if they never ask for their opinion on it. People, by nature, assume that if someone is not complaining about it, they love it, therefore its a great purchase option.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I don't think that's the case as often as people think. Apple was first to market with several things but they had two distinct advantages back then .. 1) they were releasing new concepts or they were much further along than their competitors and/or 2) there was much less competition back then.

I think Apple is even having trouble with that now because even if they release an amazing new iPhone, iPad, Macbook, etc. concept that the public loves (which is much harder these days since Jobs is gone and non-Apple fans tend to like what they have), the other companies can reproduce it and get it to market within 6 to 12 months every time.

Apple's success with the iPod and, more importantly, its well established consumer base, put it in prime position to be successful when they released the first iPhone. After all, it was an iPod that you could use to make and receive phone calls which either eliminated an extra device or made it easier for music fans to carry their music around with them all day. In business terms, it solved a problem .. two of them.

While some consumers can associate a "trust factor" with first-in-tech companies, being first by itself is not enough to establish a foothold in the minds of most consumers. The reason for this is as old as the consumer market is. People tend to buy what their family, friends, coworkers, etc. buy. If they see someone they know using it, it validates it as a proven product even if they never ask for their opinion on it. People, by nature, assume that if someone is not complaining about it, they love it, therefore its a great purchase option.

Another excellent analysis. Personally, I will likely never own a folding phone, not because of the price ... all I need a phone to do is make calls, text and some internet when I am not home. These things are geared to younger people who seeming prefer spending on an expensive gadget. And who knows, maybe these foldings phones will be a dud. And the companies that take a wait and see approach may be the big winners. Not every tech idea is going to be a smash hit. That's also just me like I said, I'm an older person who only really only needs my phone to do certain things, of course, fitting in my front pocket is a must.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
People are underestimating this thing (I'm an Apple man btw, and will not buy this phone).

This if 1st gen technology. It will hava quirks and bugs. But 4-5 years from now, foldable phone/tablet things are going to be the standard, because Samsung has forced everyone's hand. Adapt or die.

Thank you, Samsung.

Mostly true, but it depends on the market. It depends on whether or not the public accepts this type of phone or if they reject it like they rejected Google glass.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Reminds me of the "Echo" phone I got years ago, only a lot more seamless and compact. I returned the Echo after a couple of days.