Samsung announces folding phone with 5G at nearly $2,000

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All I will say is I have great concerns about this company being allowed to do business with the west.
As I said, it has nothing to do with the company. I even stated that from the start. What I am saying is "another company not named Samsung" came out with a much better first-release design concept than Samsung did which is what I was posting about earlier in this thread.

It has nothing to do with the company or whether I or anyone should buy it. It's simply showing that there is already a better implementation than the retro mechanical Samsung Fold phone.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know. The screen is exposed on both sides when it's folded. Seems like there's a high risk of damage just setting it down on a table, and I imagine if you were to drop that on its corner from a height of even 2 feet, it'd be ruined.
As opposed to most smartphones like the iPhones that have glass sides on both sides?

I think it's clear that for them to bend the phone that means it's not made of hard glass, at least not near the bendable area, so that in itself makes it a lot less likely to break than most other smartphones including the Apple iPhones from the last few years.

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please keep politics out of this thread!

No one is encouraging people to buy or not buy Huawei phones. That is a personal choice everyone can make on their own. Just about everyone has heard about the controversy regarding Chinese-made phones so there is no reason to rehash it on this site.

To be clear, my post had absolutely nothing to do with the company behind the much better foldable design concept. This was ALL about the poor Samsung Fold concept implementation. I simply wanted to show that other companies (this one just happens to be one some will not like) are already way ahead of Samsung in that area.

Personally, I have no plans to buy a foldable phone of any kind until they come up with a much better implementation.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is another example as to why I give Apple the edge over these companies to this day. 5G is an unnecessary option for at least a while, when I see 5G on Apple then I'll know we are close to having a 5G network that most of us can access.
Apple phones have been stagnant since Jobs died. That's why their sales have been down and why Apple has suddenly stopped announcing how many phones they are selling in an effort to hide that fact.

What Apple cannot do though is hide every aspect of the manufacturing process because they outsource most of it to China and other Asian nations. It's very easy for the industry to extrapolate their sales numbers from those back-end suppliers who are not bound, not capable or not willing to participate in that secrecy.

lukin2006

Reaction score
As I said, it has nothing to do with the company. I even stated that from the start. What I am saying is "another company not named Samsung" came out with a much better first-release design concept than Samsung did which is what I was posting about earlier in this thread.

It has nothing to do with the company or whether I or anyone should buy it. It's simply showing that there is already a better implementation than the retro mechanical Samsung Fold phone.

Fair point. So I'm guessing we'll start to see other companies following along really quickly. I have not heard if Apple plans on introducing one anytime soon. I think the 5G is an unnecessary option, and most will likely not using 5G for a few years. Interesting times.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Apple phones have been stagnant since Jobs died. That's why their sales have been down and why Apple has suddenly stopped announcing how many phones they are selling in an effort to hide that fact.

What Apple cannot do though is hide every aspect of the manufacturing process because they outsource most of it to China and other Asian nations. It's very easy for the industry to extrapolate their sales numbers from those back-end suppliers who are not bound, not capable or not willing to participate in that secrecy.

Yes, agreed Apple has been stagnant for years. But most tech companies have their peaks and valley's I would say. I would also say that as long as Apple continues to make loads of cash, innovation has been less of a priority. Saying all that, it would never surprise me if Apple has got something in the lab that we don't need, but will be convinced we actually do need it...:laugh:

I also read that the airpods had a slow start but have really taken off as of late and seem poised to lead that type of wireless market. At one time I never saw anyone with airpods, now I see several people a day with them.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair point. So I'm guessing we'll start to see other companies following along really quickly. I have not heard if Apple plans on introducing one anytime soon. I think the 5G is an unnecessary option, and most will likely not using 5G for a few years. Interesting times.
Several companies have foldable phones in development. In fact, the first bendable OLED panels (film) were demoed several years ago by multiple companies including Samsung. That's why expectations were higher for the first Samsung implementation. Unfortunately, in their effort to be "first" they seem to have focused more on "fastest workable concept" rather than one impressive to consumers. The reaction from many in the media and consumer markets has not been very positive about the Samsung Fold.

lukin2006

Reaction score
This Huawei Mate X is still rough concept wise, but it is a much better first-implementation than the Samsung Fold ..

Yes, I understand the risks argument for using a Chinese-based phone and I am not recommending this or any folding phone right now. My reason for posting this is to simply show that while all folding phones are going to be more conceptual than amazing right now, the Huawei Mate X is way ahead of the Samsung offering at this point.

Wonder how scratch proof the screen will be. It appears exposed, and definitely not meant for a man's front pocket? I gathered from the video that they are still refining the product...

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, agreed Apple has been stagnant for years. But most tech companies have their peaks and valley's I would say. I would also say that as long as Apple continues to make loads of cash, innovation has been less of a priority. Saying all that, it would never surprise me if Apple has got something in the lab that we don't need, but will be convinced we actually do need it...:laugh:

I also read that the airpods had a slow start but have really taken off as of late and seem poised to lead that type of wireless market. At one time I never saw anyone with airpods, now I see several people a day with them.
Unlike a lot of people, I have no agenda against any phone manufacturers. I use a Samsung smartphone and an Apple iPad (both with data access) every single day.

When I point out disappointing opinions of their products, it's purely about the products and not the companies. Apple lost their mojo when Jobs died. I think they need a new visionary at their helm if they hope to regain their place as industry leader. In our little north american bubble, Apple's iPhones may be quite popular, but android phones dominate the rest of the world.

For the last few years and releases, Apple has benefited from their innovative leader legacy, but their customers, even die-hard Apple fans, are starting to realize the improvements (some would even argue against that point) are marginal each year. The special-ness of owning the latest iPhone models is starting to fade as consumers start realizing its not cost efficient or even smart to buy new phones every year for full price when there is really nothing excitingly new. Even Samsung has gone through the same thing with many S8/S8+ owners not buying their S9 equivalents.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Several companies have foldable phones in development. In fact, the first bendable OLED panels (film) were demos several years ago by multiple companies including Samsung. That's why expectations were higher for the first Samsung implementation. Unfortunately, in their effort to be "first" they seem to have focused more on "fastest workable concept" rather than one impressive to consumers. The reaction from many in the media and consumer markets has not been very positive about the Samsung Fold.

Samsung wanted to be the first to the market? And likely sacrificed design quality to get there? I'm not sure why anyone needs to hurray to market for a phone priced that only very well off people will buy. That seems to be the tech game, lead or risk falling too far behind the other companies...might be my guess why they are rushing.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder how scratch proof the screen will be. It appears exposed, and definitely not meant for a man's front pocket? I gathered from the video that they are still refining the product...
There are likely several weak points of the new bendable phone prototypes that will surface as a few guinea pig consumers will buy them for various reasons.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Samsung wanted to be the first to the market? And likely sacrificed design quality to get there? I'm not sure why anyone needs to hurray to market for a phone priced that only very well off people will buy. That seems to be the tech game, lead or risk falling too far behind the other companies...might be my guess why they are rushing.
Samsung is one of the major phone panels that smartphone companies use. Not everything they do is about the consumer. If they can release a prototype bendable phone and show that people are willing to buy it, that will drive a lot of other phone companies who rely on screens and technology from other manufacturers like LG and Samsung to commit to purchasing screens from them for their own future bendable phones.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Unlike a lot of people, I have no agenda against any phone manufacturers. I use a Samsung smartphone and an Apple iPad (both with data access) every single day.

When I point out disappointing opinions of their products, it's purely about the products and not the companies. Apple lost their mojo when Jobs died. I think they need a new visionary at their helm if they hope to regain their place as industry leader. In our little north american bubble, Apple's iPhones may be quite popular, but android phones dominate the rest of the world.

For the last few years and releases, Apple has benefited from their innovative leader legacy, but their customers, even die-hard Apple fans, are starting to realize the improvements (some would even argue against that point) are marginal each year. The special-ness of owning the latest iPhone models is starting to fade as consumers start realizing its not cost efficient or even smart to buy new phones every year for full price when there is really nothing excitingly new. Even Samsung has gone through the same thing with many S8/S8+ owners not buying their S9 equivalents.

How much more innovation do we need with a phone? And it's probably just me, I view my phone as just that, a phone that gives me the internet when I'm out...but I'm guessing there are many people that the phone is their lifeblood. That's likely why I do not get as caught up with the newest features. And obviously, these devices are marketed more toward the younger generation who really likes bells and whistles.

I have used Samsung as well, very good and durable phones. I'm caught up in the Apple eco-system...LOL

lukin2006

Reaction score
Samsung is one of the major phone panels that smartphone companies use. Not everything they do is about the consumer. If they can release a prototype bendable phone and show that people are willing to buy it, that will drive a lot of other phone companies who rely on screens and technology from other manufacturers like LG and Samsung to commit to purchasing screens from them for their own future bendable phones.

That's a great point...

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
As opposed to most smartphones like the iPhones that have glass sides on both sides?

I think it's clear that for them to bend the phone that means it's not made of hard glass, at least not near the bendable area, so that in itself makes it a lot less likely to break than most other smartphones including the Apple iPhones from the last few years.
I don't know about iPhones, but my Moto is plastic on the back. It just seems like, even if it's not glass, if it lands on a corner, it'll wrinkle or something, the way plastic would.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know about iPhones, but my Moto is plastic on the back. It just seems like, even if it's not glass, if it lands on a corner, it'll wrinkle or something, the way plastic would.
The glass-back phones are typically found on the higher-end phones, not the mid- or low- level phones (many of which are almost as good at the flagship phones that cost twice or more than them).

I prefer phones with a plastic back myself and that's why I have a half-shell case on my Samsung phone that provides exactly that since it has a glass back on it. A glass-back .. at least one with no functional purpose other than aesthetics .. is just one more thing that can (and likely will) break eventually.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apple LG Will Let Samsung Make Foldable Phone Mistakes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcg...ng-make-foldable-phone-mistakes/#5daa16d71567

Apple seems more content on just following. I guess as long as you do not get to far behind...
I believe Jobs left Apple with a multi-year plan before stepping down. However, the one thing you cannot plan around is how the market will change and how your competitors will change and improve their own offerings, and that is what is happening to Apple.

If you think about it, Apple is very much like the Dallas Cowboys. In the past, both were at the tops of their markets and had huge and devoted fan bases. Over time though, even the most die-hard fans start to lose their enthusiasm and blind devotion while more and more casual fans jump ship for the latest fads and trends.

Apple needs to launch a truly innovative product again like they have done in the past or they may find themselves falling faster and faster to their competitors. Their mobile devices like the iPod, iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, etc. and their computers like the Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, iMac, etc. were all innovative game changers or major technological leaps, and more importantly, they were new market creators. These days, their new products are just improvements on older products and ideas and in many cases now, they are the ones following the competition instead of leading it.

I hope they are working on one or more next-gen products and are just waiting to spring them on the industry and regain their position in the market. Otherwise, I have a feeling that Apple is going to continue their decline as their competitors take their place.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I believe Jobs left Apple with a multi-year plan before stepping down. However, the one thing you cannot plan around is how the market will change and how your competitors will change and improve their own offerings, and that is what is happening to Apple.

If you think about it, Apple is very much like the Dallas Cowboys. In the past, both were at the tops of their markets and had huge and devoted fan bases. Over time though, even the most die-hard fans start to lose their enthusiasm and blind devotion while more and more casual fans jump ship for the latest fads and trends.

Apple needs to launch a truly innovative product again like they have done in the past or they may find themselves falling faster and faster to their competitors. Their mobile devices like the iPod, iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, etc. and their computers like the Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, iMac, etc. were all innovative game changers or major technological leaps, and more importantly, they were new market creators. These days, their new products are just improvements on older products and ideas and in many cases now, they are the ones following the competition instead of leading it.

I hope they are working on one or more next-gen products and are just waiting to spring them on the industry and regain their position in the market. Otherwise, I have a feeling that Apple is going to continue their decline as their competitors take their place.

I like your in-depth analysis. You have a much greater understanding of the tech industry than me. Maybe that's why I remain somewhat loyal to apple because I remain loyal to Dallas Cowboys. What are your thoughts on a relaunch of the iPod classic? I have talked to so many people who wish that was the one product apple kept...and most of these people never use any other Apple products. So it seemed to be a silly thing to eliminate, mainly because it attracted consumers who never use Apple products. My sister still uses her u2 iPod and never listens to music on her phone.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

With the success of the flip design, especially the Razr, this was inevitable. I’ve been expecting this for some time.