Sanjay Lal helped Tavon Austin have his best training camp ever

CWR

Reaction score
I think it would be amiss to say we won't miss dez in some capacity. I was all for moving on from him but if his salary had matched his value I as would many would have liked to seen us keep him.

His skills have declined but he was certainly one of the best wrs on the roster...his problem was value

The biggest positive about losing Dez and Witten imo is forcing our offensive geniuses to do something different. The way its been painted is that we were limited in what we could do with them on the field. Im looking forward to not being so predictable(hopefully.)

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Lal has come in and immediately made a gigantic impact. If you don’t believe me just know that Terrance Williams has been balling out and catching with his hands through Lal’s first training camp with the Cowboys. Yes, that’s right.

Williams isn’t the only receiver who’s seemingly been re-made under Lal’s tutelage. Buffalo Bills castoff Deonte Thompson has had a great camp (when he was healthy enough to participate), Allen Hurns is playing well, and former Los Angeles Rams utility weapon Tavon Austin has been one of the bigger storylines to emerge from Oxnard.

WR is one of those positions where a player can be seriously underdeveloped and underused on a team. I like picking up experienced but underperforming WRs. A WR coach who improves that process is gold.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I loved Dez, but he had to go. I do wonder though, how Lal could have helped Dez.

That is the shame of it. Dez didn't end up all he could have been. Shouldn't have handed him 88. He should have had to earn it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
this is clearly my opinion and nothing else.

I think Sanjay and Richard are working from the ground up, they are trying to lay down new foundations and culture of how the players should react and learn to become better players. I feel both have set a tone of "I dont care what you have done, i dont care of your talent, i dont care what you think you can do, in this position you learn what to do and do it well"

I personally feel the first steps they took was to say "we learn the fundamentals and we master them"

So far the changes are minute, but will make a difference.

I have no problem with that perspective. My main point was that the players are positive and excited about what he has to say and his methods. It helps greatly when the players buy into a coach's way to doing things. To me, they seem to be doing exactly that with no resistance whatsoever. Sanjay appears to fit in with this group like a glove. I'm optimistic that they'll prove themselves very productive this year.

jay94

Reaction score
If he can make this receiving core be somewhat near average I will fully buy the hype.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I don’t understand how Lal can be considered a pretty bad coach throughout his career and then he’s suddenly some magician in Dallas. What has changed?
a pretty bad coach throughout , where did you read he was considered a pretty bad coach?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
I’m not buying the Sanjay hype. He hasn’t succeeded anywhere he went.
Instead of getting promoted he just keeps getting fired each year or 2.

No, his head coaches keep getting fired. Lal has never been replaced by his own head coach.

Lal was with the Raiders for three seasons (two under Tom Cable, then one under Hue Jackson) before Jackson got fired.

Lal was then with the Jets for three seasons (all under Rex Ryan) before Ryan got fired.

Ryan then got hired by the Bills, and he hired Lal again. After two seasons with the Bills, Ryan got fired again.

Lal was then with the Colts for one season before Chuck Pagano got fired.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I have no problem with that perspective. My main point was that the players are positive and excited about what he has to say and his methods. It helps greatly when the players buy into a coach's way to doing things. To me, they seem to be doing exactly that with no resistance whatsoever. Sanjay appears to fit in with this group like a glove. I'm optimistic that they'll prove themselves very productive this year.

i agree with that as well

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Dez will miss us more than we will miss him. He had a limited vertical tree and wasn't /isn't smart enough to understand the assignments. Romo and his understanding of reading defenders made Dez look great.

Damn...
If you can end up with the 37th most Receiving TDS ever without understanding assignments or how to run routes imagine how good he actually had to be.

superonyx

Reaction score
No, his head coaches keep getting fired. Lal has never been replaced by his own head coach.

Lal was with the Raiders for three seasons (two under Tom Cable, then one under Hue Jackson) before Jackson got fired.

Lal was then with the Jets for three seasons (all under Rex Ryan) before Ryan got fired.

Ryan then got hired by the Bills, and he hired Lal again. After two seasons with the Bills, Ryan got fired again.

Lal was then with the Colts for one season before Chuck Pagano got fired.
That’s a whole bunch of terrible offensive teams.
And how is he going to be our savior?

Which of these teams had a group of receivers who were in the top of the league?
He may be here just this year and then he can blame his HC/OC getting fired as the reason he is looking for a new job.

I’m hoping for the best but I don’t see a resume that warrants the Hype this guy gets.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s a whole bunch of terrible offensive teams.
And how is he going to be our savior?

Which of these teams had a group of receivers who were in the top of the league?
He may be here just this year and then he can blame his HC/OC getting fired as the reason he is looking for a new job.

I’m hoping for the best but I don’t see a resume that warrants the Hype this guy gets.

Maybe Lal is our savior if he gets Garrett fired. :muttley:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People don't believe me when I tell them that the rams didn't know what the hell they were doing with Austin.

All they see is McVay and say genius instead of looking at what the rams did and changed when McVay was hired.

McVay wanted woods, Watkins, kupp, Gurley.

Not Austin. Austin was going to be on his way out after the season and McVay knew it coming in.

Its not about McVay genius, its about McVay likes and dislikes. Austin will ball out this season.

Plus Austin had some nagging injuries throughout last season. So it held him back some.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We built an entire passing offense around Dez. Dez can't run routes and he wasn't smart enough to play out his assignments. Worst was he always wanted the ball and couldn't produce. Dez was absolutely bad for Dak and his growth as a QB. Thus Im happy that got rid of Dez.

Its refreshing to see that were taking new look with our passing game. No need for a number 1 receiver. We now more focused on route running and being able to stretch the field. We couldn't do that with Dez.

Maybe it was the other way around and Dak was bad for Dez
Dez never had any problems with Romo at QB