Sanjay Lal hype is getting out of control

scottsp

Reaction score
Aye. The club is certainly within its rights to purge assistants to further this narrative to those who are willing to buy. I certainly don't believe Dooley was in over his head here, nor do I believe he was so hands-off that receiver play was substandard. With that in mind, I am willing to say Sanjay will be fine in Dallas and perhaps a new voice in the room will help - or at least as much as the talent on that unit allows.

Still, best believe fans in Indy are singing the praises of Kevin Patullo and are elated the Colts have moved on from Sanjay. Funny how that works.

CPanther95

Reaction score
I've never seen an offseason where there's just as much attention and expectations placed on 2 position coaches as there are on the players.

It's as if the minute they failed to bring in any significant upgrades to the receiving corps and defensive backfield, everyone is expecting the Kris and Sanjay to turn lead into gold.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
It is hard to believe that he is some diamond in the rough, who has just happened to be saddled to the worst offensive coordinator in the league with 4 different teams.
,,,,er,,,:huh:,,, I got nothing for ya there,B0b,,,,:bow:

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I've never seen an offseason where there's just as much attention and expectations placed on 2 position coaches as there are on the players.

It's as if the minute they failed to bring in any significant upgrades to the receiving corps and defensive backfield, everyone is expecting the Kris and Sanjay to turn lead into gold.

Or my favorite expression, they're expecting him to make chicken salad out of chicken ****

Beaker42

Reaction score
Not really. What other stats could you even point to in order to demonstrate the impact of a WR coach?

Maybe the other teams had sucky O lines that didn’t give the QB time to go thru his reads or they had a TE who was his QB’s security blankey. Who knows? Maybe the wideouts were a bunch of no names with no talent? Too lazy to look them up.

DiResta

Reaction score
i like the more hands on approach and the emphasis on fundamental things like route running
The Cowboys are holding firm they won't look to tag any particular wide receiver as their No. 1 guy, although admitting there's value in having on at times. For Beasley, the new approach brings added wrinkles to the passing game, and he's enjoying it thus far.

"It’s going well, man," he said, via Drew Davison of Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "Everybody is moving around a lot. A lot of guys are getting to play a lot of positions they haven’t really gotten an opportunity to. It’s really cool to kind of move around and try something new."

He is particularly infatuated with what Sanjay Lal brings to the table, the team's new wideouts coach who lands by way of the Indianapolis Colts.

"It feels like the first time we’re actually being taught how to run routes instead of just naturally doing," he said, via Jori Epstein of The Dallas Morning News.
what the Cowboys were doing wasnt effective and i think the change could be positive
doesnt mean i have to get out pom poms or a pitchfork. this site people always tend to be black or white no middle ground
i like what ive seen from the coaching and a couple of things i dont get but i will wait and remain optimistic

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's been coaching in the league for nearly a decade, and has bounced around every couple years. He's now on his 5th team. Let's see what kind of production he's had in the NFL.

Team Receiving Rank By Year

2017 - 30th
2016 - 31st
2015 - 29th
2014 - 32nd
2013 - 30th
2012 - 30th
2011 - 11th
2010 - 22nd
2009 - 29th

As you can see, his groups have produced near bottom, or rock bottom production in receiving yardage. As far as I can tell, he's never produced a 1000 yard receiver in his career, although I didn't take the time to research this fully.

To be fair, he has been in some bad places, with lackluster QB play, but looking at his body of work, it is hard to get excited about what he has done. When looking at the talent on this roster, it is hard to get excited about the prospects of him coaching them up.

I was not a Derek Dooley fan by any means, but to think an NFL position coach doesn't teach technique is asinine. Under Dooley's watch, Dez, Williams, and Beasley all put up career numbers.

I think it was time for Dooley to go, but the Sanjay Lal hype is unwarranted and frankly, he is going to disappoint a lot of people.

Wow what production from Sanjay receivers top ten man lol...just like Austin WR is going to be the difference for us on offense .....man here(forums) were Superbowl champs every year.....the problems start when reality kicks in....

P.S. Richards will also turn Heath into Ed Reed.......:eek:

Melonfeud

Reaction score

Ah-Ha,,,JERRY told me there would be people getting wind of that philosophers stone I'd given to him that one time down on St.Thomas island,,,in the red light district, when we were kinda drunko_O

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He's been coaching in the league for nearly a decade, and has bounced around every couple years. He's now on his 5th team. Let's see what kind of production he's had in the NFL.

Team Receiving Rank By Year

2017 - 30th
2016 - 31st
2015 - 29th
2014 - 32nd
2013 - 30th
2012 - 30th
2011 - 11th
2010 - 22nd
2009 - 29th

As you can see, his groups have produced near bottom, or rock bottom production in receiving yardage. As far as I can tell, he's never produced a 1000 yard receiver in his career, although I didn't take the time to research this fully.

To be fair, he has been in some bad places, with lackluster QB play, but looking at his body of work, it is hard to get excited about what he has done. When looking at the talent on this roster, it is hard to get excited about the prospects of him coaching them up.

I was not a Derek Dooley fan by any means, but to think an NFL position coach doesn't teach technique is asinine. Under Dooley's watch, Dez, Williams, and Beasley all put up career numbers.

I think it was time for Dooley to go, but the Sanjay Lal hype is unwarranted and frankly, he is going to disappoint a lot of people.
Well, everyone has an opinion but you know what they say about that. Point is, YOU have no idea what evaluating a WR coach entails since you do it by the teams record. As Spock would say, that’s illogical.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Well, everyone has an opinion but you know what they say about that. Point is, YOU have no idea what evaluating a WR coach entails since you do it by the teams record. As Spock would say, that’s illogical.

What other metric should we look at when we are evaluating the production of the group he is responsible for coaching, over a decade and 4 different teams?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
What other metric should we look at when we are evaluating the production of the group he is responsible for coaching, over a decade and 4 different teams?
Oh, I don’t know, maybe he’s teaching methods? How he interacts with the players? How well he knows NFL offenses? How well he knows NFL defenses? How well he understands the rule book? Etc., etc.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
i like the more hands on approach and the emphasis on fundamental things like route running

what the Cowboys were doing wasnt effective and i think the change could be positive
doesnt mean i have to get out pom poms or a pitchfork. this site people always tend to be black or white no middle ground
i like what ive seen from the coaching and a couple of things i dont get but i will wait and remain optimistic
Ya know ? I've just took to tying my pom-pom's to my pitchfork & using half of the RDX from my one way ticket vest,to 'fire' my thump pot on the distillation end of this fandom operation,,,o_O

:starspin::lmao::starspin:

o_O

CPanther95

Reaction score

The primary metric is whether or not they are willing to work under Garrett and Jerry. If they are, that's not the kind of coach you want.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Oh, I don’t know, maybe he’s teaching methods? How he interacts with the players? How well he knows NFL offenses? How well he knows NFL defenses? How well he understands the rule book? Etc., etc.

Ahh, so intangibles that can't be measured, got it. That is like evaluating a used car salesman based on how he interacts with customers and how well he knows the cars. At some point, he actually has to produce something of value to the company, like selling the car. If he is great at all the things you say, wouldn't he get more production out of them, than stone bottom of the league?

I guess that's the great thing about Jerry's hype machine. He gets people excited about things that can't be quantified, and then we're all disappointed when we have 2 playoff wins in as many decades.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Ahh, so intangibles that can't be measured, got it. That is like evaluating a used car salesman based on how he interacts with customers and how well he knows the cars. At some point, he actually has to produce something of value to the company, like selling the car. If he is great at all the things you say, wouldn't he get more production out of them, than stone bottom of the league?

I guess that's the great thing about Jerry's hype machine. He gets people excited about things that can't be quantified, and then we're all disappointed when we have 2 playoff wins in as many decades.
I guess you’ve never interview anyone in your life. Or even been in an interview by the sounds of it.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Every one knows the 'evil lord' Bill Belichik also had to come up thru the ranks with that " loser label" spackled across his rambling back bumper,,, TOO!o_O

Melonfeud

Reaction score
I guess you’ve never interview anyone in your life. Or even been in an interview by the sounds of it.
,,,er,,,is that " interview " somewhat along the lines/ up to & including a police investigation of a shoot-out?,,,ah,,,some dude standing around my mailbox overheard what I was reading on my phone& politely inquired,,,o_O

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Maybe the other teams had sucky O lines that didn’t give the QB time to go thru his reads or they had a TE who was his QB’s security blankey. Who knows? Maybe the wideouts were a bunch of no names with no talent? Too lazy to look them up.

Your argument would be valid if he had one or two subpar seasons. The majority of his career— his WR units have placed in the bottom 5 teams in the NFL.

Hard to write that off as coincidence or dismiss it entirely as the fault of some other aspect of the offense.